Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coolermaster Wavemaster - Silencing

Thanks

Coolermaster Wavemaster - Silencing

Hello,

In the Wavemaster case I've got their are 2 fans in the front and one in the back. The case seems pretty loud, so I was wondering what options I've got of silencing the case.

Replacing the fans?? Is that a good option? If so, what fans would you recommend?

I'd prefer not to sound deaden the case as it's already pretty heavy and replacing the fans would be a lot easier.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Banned
    Thanks
    You could change the fans for quiet ones or undervolt the current ones. Suspend the hard drive with sewing elastic from the cdrom bay. Put a quiet psu in the pc. etc

Thanks
    I've got a tagan silent PSU, I think the fans are the main problem to be honest. I am a bit clueless on fans, so need to know any good brands for 80mm fans. I reckon I'll need 3.

Banned
    Thanks
    in my wavemaster i have threee silenx 80 mm and they are very quiet and efficent

Throbbing Member
    Thanks
    • 8bit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z170A-G43 PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury Black (8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1x Crucial MX100 512GB, 1x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (WD1001FALS)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire AMD R9 390 Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM650x
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide Air 540
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 29UM67 29", 21:9, 2560x1080
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet Fibre
    I've just ordered 3x SilenX 80mms for my wavemaster as well, I'll try and post what I make of them tomorrow once I've fitted them.
    "shiro" - Windows 11 Home x64 :: Intel i5-12600K :: Corsair H115i :: MSI Z690-A Pro :: 2x 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR5 :: NVidia 4070 Super FE :: Corsair Force MP600 (1TB) :: WD Caviar Black (2TB) :: WD Caviar Green (2TB) :: Corsair Carbide Air 540 (white) :: LG 32QK500 2560x1440 :: Razer Pro Click :: Cherry KC6000 Slim ::

Thanks
    Cheers guys, appreciate the feedback

Let me know

Thanks
    • Million's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5G41T-M LX2/GB/SI LGA775 mATX
      • CPU:
      • Core2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 6Gb Corsair DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb OCZ Octane SSD, 3Tb Seagate HDD, 250Gb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4850 1Gb
      • PSU:
      • xClio 700w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Arc Mini (watercooled)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 36" LED TV
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 60mb cable
    No need! I'd say it's a tad unnecessary to have 2 front case fans, and they'll be where the noise is comin from. Go for one silenx 80mm or ideally if you can fit a 120 in the front too do that. Also, a variable resister controller like a zalman fanmate or a front pannel can allow you to adjust all of the fan speeds easily so when you're not running FEAR on highest settings you can slow em down

Throbbing Member
    Thanks
    • 8bit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z170A-G43 PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM650x
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet Fibre
    i've only managed to change the rear exhaust fan today since i forgot the front panel has to come off to get the 2 in there and it needs a star screwdriver which i ain't got. So off to B&Q in the morning to get one

I hot-swapped the new one for the old one in the back tho and did notice it is a little quieter. Once all 3 are changed it will probably sound a bit better.

Million's point about a fan controller is right, I'm going to get a basic one for my machine soon. The SilenX 80mm ones are pretty quiet as they are but the airflow is pretty good as well, i reckon it would be safe enough to run them a bit slower unless running the machine hard in a game or something

Having 2 fans at the front is great tho it means a nice flow of cool air across the top of my WD Raptors and into the back of my graphics card. I leave the 2 PCI back covers off the free slots below the graphics card and the one above it as well to help take air away out the back with the flow from front to rear. If your case is tidy and free of un-necessary clutter you can probably get away with SilenX fans and a simple controller (or use motherboard fan control if yours supports it) to bring the noise down a little further. Mount the SilenX fans using the supplied rubber grommets as well rather than the screws, that will help keep vibes out of the case.
    "shiro" - Windows 11 Home x64 :: Intel i5-12600K :: Corsair H115i :: MSI Z690-A Pro :: 2x 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR5 :: NVidia 4070 Super FE :: Corsair Force MP600 (1TB) :: WD Caviar Black (2TB) :: WD Caviar Green (2TB) :: Corsair Carbide Air 540 (white) :: LG 32QK500 2560x1440 :: Razer Pro Click :: Cherry KC6000 Slim ::

Throbbing Member
    Thanks
    • 8bit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z170A-G43 PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM650x
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet Fibre
    Right, I got all 3 changed for the SilenX 80mm ones and it has made a bit of difference. In my machine tho I don't think the original fans were the loudest item, when I was taking the machine apart I did it in stages, first took out the graphics card (made it a lot quieter), then hard drives (a lot quieter again), then swapped the fans for SilenX ones (a good bit quieter). Obviously I have a graphics card and some hard drives attached most of the time I use my computer so I'll be looking at silencing them soon

But it was a worthwhile exercise IMO, particularly the two fans at the front seem to make more noise than the one at the back, even individually.

Worth pointing out is that if you use SilenX fans you probably won't be able to use the little rubber grommets instead of screws to mount them on the front, the screw holes are too large to allow the grommets to hold the fans in place. You can probably get rubber washers to put on either side of the fan brackets on the case to subdue any vibration noise. The grommets can be used on the rear of the case, however.

Also worth pointing out is that when you come to take the front bit off the wavemaster, the only screws you need to undo are the ones on the top left and bottom left of the lower section, i.e. with the drive bay door open, look at the curved section separating the door from the lower bit with the power switch etc. You'll see a small star-screw head which holds the lower front onto the curved bit, that needs to come out. The one opposite that on the underside of the front needs to come out as well. Once they're done slightly loosen (but not undo altogether) the screw on the underside front right of the case. The lower front section of the case will then swing open the same way the door does.

Of course, I only discovered this *after* I'd completely dismantled the entire front end of my case, hopefully you won't have to!

Thanks
    Hmmm, it seems a bit of a kerfuffle to change the front two fans. I might just leave it, or change the rear fan at least.

Are you sure you have to undo the star screws?? Sounds like a recipe for disaster if I attempted it! I've got the necessary tools so might give it a shot.

Thanks
    • lost eden's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35-E
      • CPU:
      • E7300 @ 3GHz
      • Memory:
      • 6GiB
      • Storage:
      • 3x 2TB Samsung F3EG + 160GB system disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8600GT
      • PSU:
      • 500W Antec Earthwatts
      • Case:
      • Antec Sonata III
      • Operating System:
      • 64-bit Archlinux
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2007WFP (a04 S-IPS) + Samsung 2043NX
    Suspend the hard drive with sewing elastic from the cdrom bay.
    Not recmmended. Especially with hot (& expensive) drives such as Raptors. Heat kills rubber/elastic. It becomes brittle. It snaps. Your hard drive drops to it's death on the hard metal beneath.

If you want to make your hard drives quieter, you can buy accoustic enclosures that fit into a 5.25" bay which the hard drive then fits inside. I'm pretty sure that www.quietpc.com will sell them.

Throbbing Member
    Thanks
    • 8bit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z170A-G43 PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM650x
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet Fibre
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead_Head
    Hmmm, it seems a bit of a kerfuffle to change the front two fans. I might just leave it, or change the rear fan at least.

Are you sure you have to undo the star screws?? Sounds like a recipe for disaster if I attempted it! I've got the necessary tools so might give it a shot.
    There's just the one star screw to undo. On the bottom front of the case you'll see the metal plate is held onto the main body of the case with 2 rivets on each side but forward of those you'll see 2 little phillips screws. Remove the left one and slightly loosen the right. Open the door covering the drive bays and you'll see a small star screw right at the very back left on the plate which separates the door and the lower section of the fascia with the power button etc., remove that.

Now you may need to unplug the front panel connector cables as well but basically having removed the 2 screws (the lower philips and upper star screw) holding the left edge of the lower section onto the case, it will swing open just as the door does. It's about 3 minutes work to get it there and you can easily get in about the front fans that way. I normally can't be bothered with this sort of thing but I was glad I'd done it when I switched the machine on.

I have my motherboard mounted conventionally in the case (you can put the mobo tray in "upside down" thus mounting the motherboard on the opposite side of the case) so while I was in about the front fans I rerouted the power and reset button and the HDD LED cables round the other side so they're not seen when the case is open or when I get my window fitted. It also means that opening the front section won't draw them tight and I've left the screw on the bottom out making it easy to get in the front section for hoovering out the dust those fans devour!

One other thing tho - I checked your system spec, if that GeForce 7800GTX is just using the standard cooler then changing the chassis fans probably won't make much difference as the GTX will definitely be a lot louder than the stock fans in the case. If your Intel CPU and mobo are using stock air cooling then they're likely to be adding to the overall din, I'd look at replacing both those coolers with ones from http://www.arctic-cooling.com (a few UK e-tailers stock them, check "where to buy" on the AC site, I've got A64 and ATI coolers and they're great) and as lost eden says, using rubber etc. to mount hard drives is bad, get some Zalman HD silencers. I've got a Spinpoint as well and although they don't make any real seek noise it does add to the overall noise of the machine compared to when no HDDs are attached. The chassis fans are worth doing but there's other things to do that will have a bigger individual effect.

Sorry about the long post, just I've struggled to get my PC quieter without resorting to liquid cooling etc and have learned many lessons that are probably worth sharing!

HTH
    8bit

Registered+
    Thanks
    Just replaced all my fans in me Black Widow to Nexus 80mm's. Really quiet.

Thanks
    • funnelhead's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Ultra Durable Z170
      • CPU:
      • Skylake 6600T + NZXT Kraken X41 Watercooler
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 256GB NVMe M.2 + 512GB SSD + 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD 980X
      • PSU:
      • 850W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define R5
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Entreprise
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 34" Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit
    Quote Originally Posted by lost eden
    Not recmmended. Especially with hot (& expensive) drives such as Raptors. Heat kills rubber/elastic. It becomes brittle. It snaps. Your hard drive drops to it's death on the hard metal beneath.

If you want to make your hard drives quieter, you can buy accoustic enclosures that fit into a 5.25" bay which the hard drive then fits inside. I'm pretty sure that www.quietpc.com will sell them.

had a raptor, and 2 storage drives suspending from 1/2" knicker elastic for 2 years no problemo.... 3 loops per drive.

still...point appreciated

f
    Do you think when Jesus comes back..... he ever wants to see another cross.......? *{God bless you Bill}

.::HomeServer::.
    #Dual 50W Xeons @2.5Ghz, 16GB, 34TB DrivePool, UPS#
    #Plex on all the screens#
    #Squeezeplay on all the Jogglers#

My Hexus Trust
    My Items for sale

Thanks
    Will a good 120mm fan not fit in the front instead of two 80mm?
    Rhyth is selling:
    Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 XR Di ll LD Aspherical (IF) £230 +pp
    Canon 50mm 1.8 II £50 +pp
    Proven good copies.

Those who look out dream, those who look inward, awake. Jung

Throbbing Member
    Thanks
    • 8bit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z170A-G43 PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM650x
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet Fibre
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyth
    Will a good 120mm fan not fit in the front instead of two 80mm?
    I sized mine up for doing just that, you could do it but you'd need a fairly slim 120mm fan and you'd have to cut a good bit of metal away. I doubt there'd be much benefit to be honest.

However if you only have one hard disk and it's not an especially hot running model (e.g. not a raptor) you probably could get away with only one 80mm fan in the front. I have two, one connected to the motherboard and the other direct from the PSU. The one on the mobo header is set to use the Asus Q-Fan thing so it spins down a bit when the system temp is low, which helps a little more.

While working on the lighting in my machine the other day at one point I had both the hard disks disconnected from the mobo and PSU while powering the machine on. I noticed that made it a lot quieter so between them and the graphics card, I conclude that the best way to silence a Wavemaster is not to use any hard drives or graphics cards in it

Failing that, concentrate on silencing them before anything else. Intel owners should look at an Arctic Cooling or similar HSF as well, prolly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information