Thread: Cool Commando Mod

Thanks

Cool Commando Mod

Not sure if this is the right place but:-
    Cool Commando Mod
    Having a Lian-Li v2000 Plus which has an inverted atx mobo mounting (CPU at the bottom instead of the top)
    I've been a bit paranoid as to whether heatpipes are effective when inverted. the newer abit boards & evga 680i are known to work but asus don't specify.
    So having had a few problems i decided to ditch the heatpipes.

Stage 1 temporary effort Recycling DFI & Asus merge
    comments included
    clunk said Good work now thats dedication, 2 of the most annoyingly pitched chipset fans in the world!

anyway the one on the sb died much to the delight of the wife who could then hear the soaps.

Stage 2
    Taking away the heatpipes left the pwm area uncooled so i wanted to include this in the project.
    Got the bits today
    PWM all from scan.
    Had some offcuts of 2mm aluminium sheet so tracrd the pwm area heatsink off the heatpipes onto a sticky label.
    cut the aluminium to fit. as u can see i'm not a great metal worker
    used the Little chipset coolers which are self adhesive & stuck easily to the aluminium. Had intended using Zalman ZM-RHS1 Passive VGA

RAM (Memory only) Heatsink Kit
    but the CoolerMaster SAC-P01-UK Little Chipset Cooler Heatsink are only £1.39 for 7 & are

excellent for the job being square you could put them on an aluminium base as a low profile sb cooler. So the vantec are spare atm.
    Fitting is a doddle used the pins from the original heatpipes &

underneath used the insulating layer peeled off the original heatsink Have got a temp sensor connected to the mobo on the

heatsink & it shows 32C idle which is around 3~4C down on previous.

Southbridgegot this Zalman ZM-NB32K North Bridge chipset Heatsink The mounting fittings for this are great as they can be

adjusted so can fit all mounting hole. Downside is it uses the smallest nut & screw i've seen, which generates a degree of profanity when fitting. This unit is 3cm high so inteferes with any 2xpci slot gfx

card. so a bit of modding is called for As u can see this isn't copper
    Fitted
    Jobs a good 'un

Northbridge
    Noctua NC-U6 Dual Heatpipe Northbridge Cooler most expensive bit of kit, a bit extaravagant maybe but it's beautiful, fitting design etc is superb. Nearly bought their cpu cooler Noctua-U12f but went for the flawed thermalright ultra 120.
    I was a bit concerned about being able to retain my memory cooler but did'nt need to. The hole in the centre of the cooling fins lets u insert a screwdriver to secure the screw that locks the fasteners to the heatsink. The mechnism is great as you can fit it to any hole configuration & the unit can be rotated by 120 degrees to avoid obstacles. As you can gather i'm quiet a fan of this unit.

All sorted

Have no direct temps to nb & sb but mobo temp at idle is now 30C idle case closed last night was around 31~32 case open. When i wind up case fans running around 66% now will drop these temps more.

all in all pretty pleased with results( as is wife)
    What's also pleasing is i've written this post without a bsod.

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Good stuff, so this has solved the bsod problem then?

4GHZ now then?

Thanks
    Good stuff, so this has solved the bsod problem then?
    think the move from asus heatpipes has done no harm.
    4GHZ now then?
    Lol think i'm punch drunlk atm just enjoying a night running stable no bsods. Pc is running smooth & quiet. After dfi hetasinks wife thinks that's about the best £27 i've spent

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Excellent, looking forward to the benchies

Thread Information