Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cable Sleeving/Braid Guide (*56K Warning*)

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Cable Sleeving/Braid Guide (*56K Warning*)

Hi guys, had alot of sleeving and braiding to do today so I decided to make a sort of guide for anyone that wants to try as well.

WARNING: Take care when putting the connectors back as if you do it wrongly you could risk your PSU, Components, Fans getting damaged by SHORTING IT OUT and it could cause a fire. Please note that you do this at your own risk, I take no responsibility if anything goes wrong, this is just a guide.

It's not a big risk if you know what you're doing but I must give a warning.

Braiding simple things like fans or molex cables it's just a simple job of remembering where which cable goes. For 3 pin fans if you're facing the fan plug from above (where you can see the metal pins, orientate it so that the cables are at the bottom) there should be a Number 1 stamped onto it on the leftmost pin (stamped like a VIN number is etc). That #1 is the Ground (Negative -) pin or where the black cable goes. The middle is the +12 (Positive +) pin and the last one on the right is the Sensor (RPM) pin.

Here's a diagram I made just for the 3 pin fan and a male pinned molex cable (The main ones I sleeve/braid)

Diagram 1:

Also here's a little PSU cable pinout diagram from http://pinouts.ru/

If you're going to be doing PSU cable sleeving you'll be needing some numbered stickers (so you can label each cable with reference to the diagram above) or you can make your own with some clear tape and some paper. Once those wires are out it'll be pretty hard to manage them and you don't want to get this one messed up

Anyway heres the tools I used

But you can also use flathead screwdrivers like these instead of the Molex Toolkit I have. The small one is a 1.4mm one which can be used to press down on the fan pins, the larger one can be used to push the molex hooks in one at a time.

Pin Extractor Tools or Jewellers Screwdrivers and you can even use Bent staples (If they're long enough) for removing your 24-Pin ATX motherboard power cable pins.
    Scalpel
    Heavy Duty Scissors (Braid is tough to cut as it's all bundled up)
    Heat gun, Hairdryer or Lighter*
    Braid/Sleeving (Using 5mm - Expands to 8mm)
    Heatshrink (Using 6mm 2:1 heatshrink - Contracts to 3mm past temperatures of 70c)

*Only use a lighter if you're doing black braiding/sleeving and heatshrinking as using it on anything else will turn it dark also.

Basically what I did was stretch out my cables that were going to be braided over a tape measure and took measurements of how long it was. For example my DDC's cables were 50cm long but I know that the cables aren't exactly straight so I added 1-2cm onto the cut length. I then proceeded cut 51cm of sleeving off my roll.

When they're cut they'll fray easily so I used the lighter again to melt the ends which keeps the strands of braid together when I push the cables through.

Here's how it looks before.

After the melting

I melt both ends so that neither side frays as much as it would if you didn't melt it.

Now you take off the pins so you can slip the sleeving on

For 3 pin fans you just need to press on the little hook on top to release a pin. I got the special tool which does all 3 at once but you can use the screwdriver or something like a fork or anything that has a blunt sort of end and fits in between the holes.

Here's a pic of it in action

After pushing down you just slip the pin out.

Here's another one of my diagrams to help you guys visualise it if you still don't understand how it's locked in.

1) Push the locking hook down (actually compresses the pin so don't worry about pulling it up after)
    2) Slide the pin out.

Here's how it looks when it's out

I also had to remove 2 molex pins from my DDC so what I did was use my molex extractor too and push on it so it squeezed the hooks in to let the pin slip out. If you're using the screwdriver just press in each hook (don't push it too inside or it'll go inside the molex pin as it's hollow). More pics and diagrams below!

Here's the tool in action

Another one of my Laymans Diagrams if you still didn't understand how it's locked in

Now we got the connectors/plugs off lets do some sleeving!

When putting the sleeving on just pulling it over the cables can get it snagged. What I do is, once the cable is inside, I pinch the sleeving with my right hand and pinch the sleeving and cable (futher fromt the pin so you're holding more of the cable, 2-3" should be fine) in my left hand and slide my left hand until the pin is in between my right fingers. I then pinch the pin and let my left hand go and it slides onto the cable. I repeat this until the pin comes out the other side. You can do this with many pins too as when you compress the braid horizontally it expands in diameter (vertically) allowing large pins to pass through. Check the picture below, if you look closely you can see the pin and cable inside the braid.

My sleeving is on and it's looking sort of short right? (Bare wires showing) Well I left a few cm's of bare wire for the heatshrink to cover. Also the braid might still be compressed so what I do is pull in opposite directions on each end to straighten the braid out and tighten it around the cables

Now to put the heatshrink on. I usually cut about 2-3cm but it could be shorter or longer depending on how you want yours to look or how bad you've cut your sleeving
    In my picture below you can see some stray strands of braid not wanting to fit in. This is only because I've got real tight heatshrink and braid. If you buy 3:1 ratio heatshrink (9mm diameter sized heatshrink would shrink 3 times smaller to 3mm) then you won't have this problem. My braid is 5mm in diameter and the heatshrink is like 6mm. The way I get around this is by pinching the heatshrink so it opens up like your mouth would and it can gobble those extra strands. If it doesn't I prod them in with my finger and it's not really hard to do

Stray strand piccy below

Check the next post for the rest of the guide as I'm limited to the amount of pictures I can post.
    Last edited by moogle; 14-04-2009 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Adding stuff I missed

2. Received thanks from:

Cichlidash (05-12-2008),pollaxe (19-01-2009),SiM (30-10-2008)

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Re: Cable Sleeving/Braid Guide (*56K Warning*)

Continued....

Once the heatshrink is over if you're having a tough time like me pulling it onto the sleeving try twirling it and pushing it on. It helps me get it on the braid. Once you're done it'll be looking something like this. Now it's time for the shrinking.

I only shrink one end by putting my lighter on low and hovering it below the heatshrink. Sometimes I also hover it past the heatshink swiftly so it doesn't get too hot. Once that's done it'll look like the heatshrink in the background of the next picture.

Now that's done I won't shrink the other end yet. I'm gonna put the molex plug back on. But the hooks aren't sticking out anymore so the pins wont stay in the molex connector. This is where the scalpel comes in (sharp jewellers screwdriver can be used for this too). I use the scalpel to get underneath the hook then slightly lever it upwards. Repeat on all of the hooks but don't bend them too far out. Pictures below.

Here's how it looks when done. It's all ready to be connected to the molex connector. They look like rockets/missiles or even a plane sort of. It reminds me of a Super Banana Bomb from Worms World Party

Anyhow once in you should hear a click so tug on the cable to make sure it's in and fitted properly. Do the same for the fan plug. In my case the blue fan plug cable goes in slot #3 (RPM)

Now before shrinking the other end, I stretch out the braid by holding the braid at the shrunk end and stretching it out. This should shorten the distance or length of visible cable and should give you enough room to shrink the last heatshrink.

After all that is done you should end up with something like this

It really does look better in real life as quite frankly my DSLR camera skills are ****

Now if you wish to do PSU sleeving and achieve an effect like this (see picture below) or use a single large sleeve to sleeve your unsleeved cables then you can use the same methods. Just note when PSU sleeving make sure you don't forget those stickers! It's the same principle but longer

Picture courtesy of Dangals @ XS

Have any ugly sata cables? They can be sleeved too! I've got the ASUS standard red ones and I'll be sleeving them soon so I'll put some more pictures up They look really neat in black.

Hope this guide helps you better understand how to braid/sleeve your cables should you want to or if you were unsure of trying it. I've been sitting here for a few hours in my freezing room doing this and Firefox crashed and left me from square one so I may have rushed it but if you spot any mistakes (wrong hyperlinked pics or confusing wording) then let me know I'll edit it for the better of the readers
    Last edited by moogle; 14-04-2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Adding Screwdriver info, Give Dangals some credit :)

4. Received thanks from:

pollaxe (19-01-2009),SiM (30-10-2008)

Thanks
    • jackvdbuk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AbiT IP35-PRO
      • CPU:
      • Intel C2Q Q9550
      • Memory:
      • OCZ Nvidia SLi Edition 4GB (2x2gb) pc2-6400 DDR2
      • Storage:
      • lots of TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 800D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Premium x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP
      • Internet:
      • Orange (about 6Mb)

nice nice guide, well done

them tools you need though are quite the expensive items... i mean last time ichecked abotu a year ago it was like 15 quid for one extracter of some sort!

could tottally be off the mark however!

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jackvdbuk View Post
    nice nice guide, well done

them tools you need though are quite the expensive items... i mean last time ichecked abotu a year ago it was like 15 quid for one extracter of some sort!

could tottally be off the mark however!
    Yeah it's £10 for my tool set, I'll add more info on the tools when I get back, you don't really need them to take the pins out. Gotta go hospital now I'll add the bits in when I get back
    Oh and thanks

EDIT: I'm back and I've added 1 extra pic of the other tools you can use instead of getting a kit.
    Last edited by moogle; 30-10-2008 at 09:28 AM.

I'm ITX
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moogle View Post
    [/URL]
    Those were once mine!

Nice job and guide, I might try it soon, but most of my PSU cables were pre sleeved

It's 4.98*

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PeterStoba View Post
    Those were once mine!

Nice job and guide, I might try it soon, but most of my PSU cables were pre sleeved
    Thanks

Yeah I had them sitting on my desk since they arrived, the cables started piling up so I decided let me do them all at once

If your PSU cables are pre-sleeved you can always cut the sleeving and still braid them. I'm guessing you'd want to do the individual cables right? Well that can also be done too. I'll go find some more info on that and add it to the guide

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Great guide moogle.

I do like the look of that motherboard power cable with them all individually braided, much nicer than all the different colours.

SiM
    Thanks
    • SiM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB PC2-6400 OCZ ReaperX + Platinum
      • Storage:
      • 3 x 320gb HD322HJ single platter in Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY GTX285
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2407-HC

Great guide! You have tooo much spare time. One thing it taught me is that its worth getting pre-braided PSUs

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar View Post
    Great guide moogle.

I do like the look of that motherboard power cable with them all individually braided, much nicer than all the different colours.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiM View Post
    Great guide! You have tooo much spare time. One thing it taught me is that its worth getting pre-braided PSUs
    Thanks guys!

The praises makes it all worthwhile

It only took a few hours SiM I left it until I had a free day for myself so instead of playing a bit of games I went and done it

Thanks
    • MSIC's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H170M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 6500
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 240GB SSD (boot) +1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GeForce 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 450W ST455F
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG06-450
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2309W
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet FiberTTC

Quote Originally Posted by moogle View Post
    Gotta go hospital now I'll add the bits in when I get back
    Nice guide, well done, i'm impressed. Not sure if i'll ever be quite so adventorous, but i know where to look now.
    BTW - you ok?
    I'm commenting on an internet forum. Your facts hold no sway over me.
    - Another poster, from another forum.

System as shown, plus: Microsoft Wireless mobile 4000 mouse and Logitech Illuminated keyboard.
    Sennheiser RS160 wireless headphones. Creative Gigaworks T40 SII. My wife.
    My Hexus Trust

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MSIC View Post
    Nice guide, well done, i'm impressed. Not sure if i'll ever be quite so adventorous, but i know where to look now.
    BTW - you ok?
    Thanks alot, Glad you all like it
    I'm fine I just had to take my Mum to the hospital. We're back now and shes feeling better. I appreciate your concern though mate

Thanks
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

nice work

Thanks
    • piggin23's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Rampage IV
      • CPU:
      • i7 3930 @ 5 GHz
      • Memory:
      • Mushkin Redline Ridgeback 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-17000C9 2133MHz
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M4
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 680 GTX's in Sli
      • PSU:
      • 1200W Corsair
      • Case:
      • lol
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultra 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell UltraSharp U2711

Excellent guide. Just wish I had read this before I did mine.
    It may have cut down on the bloodshed.

Thanks

Great guide, I'm just about to do this myself.

Thanks

Great guide, I wouldn't sleeve PSU cable way too much work, way too much

Registered+
    Thanks
    • EnglishLion's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P5E3 Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel E2160 @ 3.2ghz
      • Memory:
      • OCZ DDR3 1066mhz @ ~1400mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250gb Samsung SATA2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • X1950pro 512Mb
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-R 580W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion 532
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 206BW 20" Wide
      • Internet:
      • 10Mb Virgin Media Cable

Great guide - I think I'd have used some wider sleeving and done the 24pin all in one. Neater and far far far easier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information