• Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q (27" 2560x1440)
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100mb

Metroid Prime 3 Thoughts?

So - who here got this on release day yesterday? I managed to pick this up, but unfortunately didnt get to play that much, just the first level and got to defeat the first boss. What do those who got it think?

I started it up and as per the reviews that I have read, switched the controller sensitivity to advanced which it also states in the manual as preferable for those who have played FPSs before. Took a while to get used to - and its tough (now) to actually stay still, as its very sensitive, but once you start fighting enemies, the control scheme is fantastically transparent. I'm not having to think about much, just locking on, strafing, pointing and shooting. Its definitely a wonderful implementation of controls.

The game itself - well, I've only done the first level, and thats half comprised of little tutorials, so theres not that much to be said, but fighing enemies really is a good lauugh. It reminds me of when i first got the wooden kokiri sword in Zelda Ocarina of time in that I'd lock onto enemies and then just strafe around them, toying with them and pot shotting - because you could. You could see them attack you and you can just as easily get out of the way. So I'm enjoying the combat so far.

Graphically, the resolution is always going to be ho-hum on the Wii so lets say its jaggie as expected. Which I only really notice when I'm not fighting anyone. There is plenty of bloom lighting and it looks very nicely implemented. There is a great art style, which is quite detailed and it looks very nice. The particle effects when shooting are great and there are some nice distortion effects too.

Was surprised when I heard voice acting on this game, but its a welcome change, and proves it can be done on Wii... pay attention Miyamoto for the next Zelda!!!

But as I've said before, views only based on the first level, but after a disorentation first 10 minutes, its been a very fun game to play.

Anyone else have their opinions to voice?

JP

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks

Re: Metroid Prime 3 Thoughts?

Just got it, i'll let you know later...

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thanks

how does the FPS controls work? I heard it was pretty good but i think the best control set up for the Wii hasn't been used yet

Thanks
    • jonathan_phang's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage III Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 930 @ 4.2 ghz (200x21)
      • Memory:
      • 12GB Corsair XMS3 1600
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M4 128GB SSD + Misc Data Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 Modular
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100mb

Quote Originally Posted by usxhe190 View Post
    how does the FPS controls work? I heard it was pretty good but i think the best control set up for the Wii hasn't been used yet
    I'll try my best to describe - And I'll use the Advanced sensitivity to describe. You use the Nunchuck analogue stick to move forwards and backward and to strafe laterally. This basically represents the WASD keys.

The Wiimote controls a cursor on the screen, as opposed to controlling the movement of the screen. when you move the cursor about, you start to turn in that direction. So if its in the middle of the screen nothing moves. If you start to move the cursor left a bit, then the screen moves a bit to the left. The more you move the cursor in that direction, the faster the turn in that direction.

This differs to games like red steel where the screen would only turn once you move the cursor to the edge of the screen. If you have advanced sensitivity then you really dont need to wave the wiimote around that much. If its a bit too twitchy then you can use standard, which is the same BUT you have to move the cursor a bit more before the screen turns.

When an enemy is on screen, then when you look towards them then get a highlight around them, meaning they are in focus. If you then press the Z-trigger, then you lock onto them, then when you press left or right on the analogue stick, then you strafe around the locked target. Its just like zelda (OOT, WW or TP) really. But the cool thing is that when you are locked on, you can choose - in the options - to be able to free aim or lock on. Free aim means that you strafe around a point, but can still move the shooting cursor about (Imagine locking onto a boss, strafing to avoid his missiles, but then aiming on other smaller enemies that are coming into view, or specific weak points). I believe - i cant verify as I havent tried it - that the other option means that you just fire when locked on and all shots automatically go to the locked target.

I'll leave out other controls and gestures, as thats not really FPS specific, but ask if you want to know the other Wii specific things. Its probably the best FPS control schemes on the Wii IMO. The major concept is that you dont have to get to the edge of the screen (Outside of a large invisible 'bounding box') before the screen moves - and that affords you the level of responsiveness to be able to target, move and turn where and when you want. That said, other games - Medal of Honor heroes 2 - have added more to this, they have given the option to customize how big this bounding box is on screen, effectively giving you a totally customizable sensitivity, as opposed to just 3 boxes in MP3.

Well, when I started, i put it on advanced and it took me about 15-20 minutes to really not be flapping about. I did think that with my uber-leet *disclaimer, may not be true* PC FPS skills, that it would be simple, but I did find it a bit disorientating and tricky. BUT, after just getting into some firefights, its really is SOOO simple and its great to toy with the ememy. Fantastic.

Hope that description helps. Wish I was playing it now - stuck at a family thing with the wifes family... but I'll get back to it later!!!

JP

Thanks
    • NinjaChimp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 2600K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 512GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 2TB Samsung F4 + Backup 1TB Samsung F3 (in IcyDock)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell U2412M @ 1920x1200
      • Internet:
      • Hyperoptic 1Gb

Just got it this morning thanks to crappy slow royal mail, but loving it so far.

Controls tied me in knots for the first hour or so. Mainly because I'd played the last two Primes and more recently Resident Evil Wii and was constantly trying to turn using stick instead of looking around with wiimote. I also have a tendency to lock on and then forget to aim and fire into the sky...

Now that I'm over that, it feels great and fairly natural. I'm only been using standard sensitivity, so might try advanced after reading the comments above.

As for the actual game, same sort of thing as the previous Primes, running around scanning and shooting stuff. What's different is that it's not so lonely this time. There are lots of npcs to talk to (not just dead ones to scan ), although whether or not this is a good thing I'm undecided. It's a bit on the cheesy side.

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 12GB Corsair XMS3 1600
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 Modular
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100mb

Well, I did stick it on Standard for a bit, which is just a little bit less sensitive. Basically it feels like any movement with the wiimote seems to make you turn, but standard gives you more of a chance in hell of actually looking straight ahead without turning a tad

But after switching between the 2, thought that I should just use advanced so that I get used to that rather than use standard then try to make the jump up later... makes me wish I was at home now

Thanks
    • spazman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS3
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 320gb RAID 0 , 250gb IDE , 160gb IDE, 400bg USB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 7900GX2
      • PSU:
      • 750watt Enermax
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" LCD 19" CRT
      • Internet:
      • Be Unlimited

Only got my Wii on Thursday and picked this up yesterday, loved the first two on game cube. This one is definitely a quality quality title, controls are superb and from what i've played so far the level design is up to its old very high standards. A must own imo
    NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, GBA, DS, PSone, PS2, PSP, PS3 60gb, XBOX, XBOX 360, Master System, Game Gear, Mega Drive, Saturn, Dreamcast, PC Engine, Neo Geo CD

Thanks
    • Lowe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 4690K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 256GB and 1TB spindle drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit Geforce GTX1080 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 600w
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Silencio 352 m-ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7/Mac OSX
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" 1080p AOC, Oculus Rift CV1
      • Internet:
      • 200mb Virgin VIVID

I'm going to go against the grain here.

See, I'm not a Nintendo gamer per say. Yes, I have a Wii and I like it - but I'm not a fanboy. Nor have I played any other MP games before. So, you can imagine having seen the other reviews that I jumped at the chance to get the new all singing dancing Wii shooter...

Well, I'm going to go against the grain. I don't like it, or at the very least I'm wondering what all the fuss is about. The controls are easily picked up and respond well - great. The graphics are pretty for the Wii - I love the design and the cartoony look. However the levels... What were they thinking?

Now, I'm aware of the scanning feature but unless you have some kind of prior knowledge I swear some of these puzzles are a bit on the tricky side. I'm on the second planet and just can't work out what I'm supposed to do. I've scanned everywhere and there's just nothing obvious or even slightly obvious as to a hint! I like a challenge, but c'mon... The bright colours and cartoon look sadly hides some of the parts of the puzzle which some might find part of the challenge, I find it frustrating.

I don't think I'll be giving this too much time sadly since I know it's probably got the basis of a great game, but its let down by having puzzles that are too damn frustrating for me.

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 12GB Corsair XMS3 1600
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 Modular
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100mb

I will give you that... I have only briefly played the other MP games and to be honest, I didnt like the whole scan and read machanic - I'm a straight-up shoot to kill lover. And yes, it can be a little frustrating with the puzzles, they can be a little obscure, but I put up with it because when you actually get around to combat its really fun.

But I can see the basis of where you are coming from - no doubt my thicko mind is going to be stumped many times in the near future

Thanks
    • NinjaChimp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 2600K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 512GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 2TB Samsung F4 + Backup 1TB Samsung F3 (in IcyDock)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design R3
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Hyperoptic 1Gb

Oddly enough, I'm the complete opposite. I love the scanning and puzzling (which is how I see the game) but find the combat gets in the way if anything. I can totally understand what you mean about some puzzles feeling a bit obscure tho. My main problem with the previous games (and this, most probably) is that you can't really pick up and play after a week or so not playing. I tend to be totally lost and forget what I should be doing or where I should be. The hints are a big improvement from the original 2D ones tho. Was replaying SNES metroid on virtual console before I got this and most of my progress was blocked by apparently dead end rooms... until you just blasted all the walls and found ooooh secret door... uhuh. To think there was a time when I completely accepted it.

On a different note, changed to advanced sensitivity and much much much prefer it.

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks

I'm really enjoying this, i'm so used to puzzling in these types of games, (descent anyone?). Finding the hidden things in the colourific environment.

I've found the combat very enjoyable too, the bosses are lovely. 2nd planet is where i've got up to as well, but i've had to stop because i've been hitting the A button too much and its actually started to hurt!.

Looks fantastic even with the cartoon graphics on a 40" sony lcd

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thanks

jonathan_phang, thanks for the write up on the control!

Wiimote = aiming and shooting
    Nunchuk = WASD moving.

Although I haven't played the game before, I still think the control can be improved...especially with the unique Wii Why i say this?

FPS needs 3 things shooting, looking and moving.

PC FPS
    mouse = shooting and looking (i.e. is the same thing)
    keyboard = WASD moving

Wii
    Wiimote = shooting
    Nunchuk stick = WASD moving
    Nunchuk accelerator = looking

For the first time in FPS, the 3 elements can all be independent with the Wii controls!

I really hope they use this format....

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 12GB Corsair XMS3 1600
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 Modular
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100mb

Played a bit more last night and getting into it a bit more now. Just on Bryyo now, which is the first planet after you get the PED suit. Few things, getting used to the scanning/exploring dynamic now. The scanning of things is becoming second nature and can give very useful info on weaknesses of enemies. Its weird having environmental puzzles, as they aren’t usually present in PC FPSs (That I play anyway) but infuriating as they are, its really very rewarding to just solve something. Combat is still ace, but I’m really liking the graphics now.

The bloom lighting is well implemented and as stated before, despite not looking that up to date, it is strangely captivating and runs very smoothly. So basically – get it!

Also - interesting about that potential control scheme - never thought of that - though not really sure if you NEED to look in a different place as shooting, but still there might be a use eventually

Thanks

cool sounds good!

its not needed, but it makes it more of a "real" experience (e.g. if you see lots of people to shoot in front of you, you just aim and shoot without moving where you look..sort of like real life)!

i really hope they do this control scheme in the future..because it really will be the next step for FPS

Thanks
    • NinjaChimp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 2600K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design R3
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Hyperoptic 1Gb

Quote Originally Posted by usxhe190 View Post
    ...its not needed, but it makes it more of a "real" experience (e.g. if you see lots of people to shoot in front of you, you just aim and shoot without moving where you look..sort of like real life)!...
    If I'm understanding what you mean correctly, I think that's in ArmA. On keyboard you hold a modifier to look around (moving just head, not aim) while legging it forward. That's a bit pointless to be honest, but you can get some head tracking thing called TrackIR, which sounds kinda cool, but no way I'd fork over cash for it.

Back to metroid... just did the first chunk of SkyTown on Sunday. That was completely ace. More games need ziplines and shooting at the same time.

Thanks

ninjachimp, definitely pointless in the keyboard and mouse control because holding onto a key means it isn't really that independent from the moving (keyboard) and aiming (mouse)

i was thinking more of the independent nature of all three movements when you are using the wii controls

e.g. attacking multiple enemies on screen without changing your strafe/movement direction ...or you can strafe circle and still target multiple items

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information