Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Guitar Hero II

Thanks
    When you guys play on medium, how do you play the blue notes? Do you use your little finger or do you move your hand down the fret buttons? I can't seem to do it either way but I wondered what the best option was.

As for the achievements on this game, yowzers! Some are really asking a lot!

Larkspeed
    I hit the blue button with my pinky finger.

It's good to get in the habit of that early otherwise you will find you need to move your hand around too much at the higher skill levels when the orange comes in to play.

Another play hint I can give is some people (my wife included) move their hand to hit the red - blue chord with their first and third fingers the same as they would on a green - yellow chord.

Again this will mean a lot of hand movement on the higher levels.

I used to do this but now I have pretty well broken the habit and hit red - blue chords with my second and pinky fingers. This is hard to get used to at first but again it's better to get used to it at the lower levels when there are not as many notes to contend with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilWeevil View Post
    I've just finished medium on all 5 stars. Got 5 stars on Free Bird first time too, which I'm pretty chuffed about. I've just started Hard, got two songs on 5 stars so far.
    I'm really trying hard to do this, I've got two songs left, one of them being Free Bird and it's driving me up the wall.

Well done!!

Thanks
    lol Ive had to stop playing for a while i've got a knackered wrist because of it

Thanks
    I've got into GH2 on the PS2 really quickly (we actually bought a couple of guitars for a team gaming challenge here at work). I've finished it comfortably on medium (although I didn't have a memory card so I had to play it for 5 hours non-stop, a good post-hangover Saturday afternoon though!)

Red and Blue chords are killing me... my pinky just doesn't move as fast as the other fingers... From Medium to Hard is a CHASM of difficulty, it's not just more difficult because of the hand movement to the 5th fret, but the songs seem to also be more complicated. Feels like they should've added the 5th fret and not made the songs more difficult as well for Hard, then upped everything for Expert.

If you want another guitar, go on eBay! I just bought GH1 and GH2 and 1 guitar for £48 :O) Haven't played GH1 yet but am excited to see the opinions that it has even better songs!

BTW I heard that another GH will be released later this year - 80's edition...! Gonna get that and a 2nd guitar...

DM

Far Superior To Meths EvilWeevil's Avatar
    Thanks
    • EvilWeevil's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5W-DH Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
      • Memory:
      • 2GB (2x1GB) Corsair XMS-2 PC2-6400
      • Storage:
      • 320GB Caviar, 320GB DiamondMax 10, 400GB Spinpoint, 1TB MyBook External
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus EAX1900XT
      • PSU:
      • OCZ GameXStream 700W
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-G70B
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP
      • Internet:
      • Homechoice/Tiscali 8 down/1 up
    I always stick to Green - index, Red - middle, Yellow - ring, Blue - Pinky on medium. Actually it's been really good for me to build up my pinky dexterity again - I broke it, it healed funny and I lost some movement, but it's getting better!

I basically have been sticking to the same finger pattern on Hard, just moving up and down 1 fret, but obviously it depends on the song. Surrender on Hard for me means the dreaded 1st and ring slide for some red/blue and even yellow/orange moments. Mostly I try and stick to the pattern though

My DeviantArt | tomhendriks.co.uk | Need something (reasonable) hosted? PM me!

Thanks
    What is everybodys favourite song to play? Mine so far is Trooper by Iron Maiden, it's just relentless and my fingers feel like they're on fire by the end of it. I totally love rocking out to this song, it's ace!

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Supernova G6 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 27" U2715H & Gigabyte M27Q
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe
    so this is a game to buy then? just need to get the money for it first lol. does this mean if you can paly them on this game that you can paly them on a real guitar?

neon
    Home Entertainment =Epson TW9400, Denon AVRX6300H, Panasonic DPUB450EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray and Monitor Audio Silver RX 7.0, Monitor Audio CT265IDC(x4) Dolby Atmos and XTZ 12.17 Sub - (Config 7.1.4)
    My System=Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz, 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme, MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO, Enermax Supernova G6 850W, Lian LI Lancool 3, 2x QHD 27in Monitors. Denon AVR1700H & Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Sound
    Home Server 2/HTPC - Ryzen 5 3600, Asus Strix B450, 16GB Ram, EVGA GT1030 SC, 2x 2TB Cruscial SSD, Corsair TX550, Plex Server & Nvidia Shield Pro 4K
    Diskstation/HTPC - Synology DS1821+ 16GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 45TB & Synology DS1821+ 8GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 14TB & Synology DS920+ 9TB
    Portable=Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Huawei M5 10" & HP Omen 15 laptop

Thanks
    • Blademrk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core I5
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 8 Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • onboard Intel Graphics (for now)
      • PSU:
      • Corsair
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Dell & 20" DELL 2005w
      • Internet:
      • 32mb/sec Sky BB
    Favourite song so far is either Heart Shapped Box (Nirvana), Shout at the Devil (Motley Crue) or the one from Top Gear (cannot remember the track name).

As to being able to play them on a real guitar - I wish!!! (I can just about play Metallica - Nothing Else Matters which is quite easy)
    Feel Free to add me to your Raptr, XFire, XBL or PSN Friend List
    My Steam Profile - Hexus Steam Community

Larkspeed
    My favorite (keep in mind this is the PS2 version) is Sweet Child O' Mine.

Oh and Blademark the one from top gear is called Jessica which is my second fav

Thanks
    Do you guys strum up or down? I seem to own strum downward and wonder if it'd be beneficial to my playing skills if I started to strum both ways. I find it tricky trying to do so though.

Flying prans are the flalalum Veles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Parm View Post
    Do you guys strum up or down? I seem to own strum downward and wonder if it'd be beneficial to my playing skills if I started to strum both ways. I find it tricky trying to do so though.
    Same here, I always strum downwards, used to play the acoustic so I'm not really used to playing with a plectrum and I find strumming up and down really weird. It does help when it gets to stupidly fast bits though.

Quote Originally Posted by neonplanet40 View Post
    does this mean if you can paly them on this game that you can paly them on a real guitar?

neon
    Not at all Very simple compared to playing a real guitar, it's still not an easy game however, it can be very difficult. I'd say if you can complete songs on expert near-perfect then you've probably got enough finger dexterity to play the real song, the only thing is you need to actually learn how to play the song
    Last edited by Veles; 18-04-2007 at 04:39 PM.

Veles on: Xbox live, My Halo stats
    Veles343 on: Xfire, Steam, BF2, BF2142
    My Blog

Thanks
    I found it's helped my rhythm on the real guitar.

I can now play a half decent version of Message in a Bottle and it's in time, thanks to Guitar Hero!

Larkspeed
    I strum mainly down but go to strumming both ways on faster sections in the higher levels

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkspeed View Post
    I strum mainly down but go to strumming both ways on faster sections in the higher levels
    I know what you mean. I've always strummed down, but there's a couple of songs which I couldn't beat unless I strummed it both ways.

Thanks
    When you guys say strum both ways on higher levels, how high are you talking?

I'm playing through medium at the moment and find I'm getting on ok by just strumming downward.

I hate to keep repeating myself but what a cracking game this is! I get such a buzz when I string together a set of tough notes.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information