Thread: 3 flashing red lights

Thanks

Unhappy 3 flashing red lights

So yeah I got them
    This is annoying because I understood that the 360 has had some teething problems (hardware wise) and so I read some blogs/reviews and followed their advice of keeping it verticle (spelling?) and in a well ventilated area to try and remove the chance of getting hardware problems but I guess it means nothing.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if they had managed to fix it without breaking waranty or sending the console back to MS?

Thanks
    Many have had this problem, many haven't. Just one of those things. I had this problem a few months back after my console was running perfectly for a year! So really there isn't a lot you can do to 'prevent' it.

If it's still in warranty, just get on the phone to microsoft and they'll sort it for you. There customer support in my experience is really good.

Some people I know had the three red lights and so left it switched off and unplugged from the mains completely, so basically power cycled the machine and it has worked for some. But you may just find that the problem crops up again a few weeks/months down the line.

Sending it back for repair is definitely the way to go, after you've tried all the DIY fixes.. The turn around was just over a week for mine, so no problems there.

[ iTomaHawk | My Music MySpace ]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    Many have had this problem, many haven't. Just one of those things. I had this problem a few months back after my console was running perfectly for a year! So really there isn't a lot you can do to 'prevent' it.

If it's still in warranty, just get on the phone to microsoft and they'll sort it for you. There customer support in my experience is really good.

Some people I know had the three red lights and so left it switched off and unplugged from the mains completely, so basically power cycled the machine and it has worked for some. But you may just find that the problem crops up again a few weeks/months down the line.

Sending it back for repair is definitely the way to go, after you've tried all the DIY fixes.. The turn around was just over a week for mine, so no problems there.
    Okay cool I was worrying this could take months

Do i need to provide proof of purchase? I have a feeling I don't have the receipt. If this is the case would they be willing to accept a bank statement showing the debit card transaction?

Flying prans are the flalalum Veles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Usually they don't even bother with the reciept.

I do recommend that you take it back to the shop if you can and get a full replacement, they are obliged under law to give replacements for the length of the warranty. This way you'd be getting a brand new console instead of a refurbished one.

Veles on: Xbox live, My Halo stats
    Veles343 on: Xfire, Steam, BF2, BF2142
    My Blog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Veles View Post
    Usually they don't even bother with the reciept.

I do recommend that you take it back to the shop if you can and get a full replacement, they are obliged under law to give replacements for the length of the warranty. This way you'd be getting a brand new console instead of a refurbished one.
    awesome, would that be an improved version? I presume like cars, cpus etc the hardware is gradually improved (to an extent) to improve efficiency and remove flaws.

Thanks
    • Dorza's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Deluxe - WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.06Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Crucial
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung SpinPoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce 9600GT
      • PSU:
      • Cosair HX520W
      • Case:
      • LianLi something something or other
      • Monitor(s):
      • Eizo FlexScan S1910 (1280*1024)
      • Internet:
      • 2mb Virgin (when they want to give me that: else 1mb)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoku View Post
    awesome, would that be an improved version? I presume like cars, cpus etc the hardware is gradually improved (to an extent) to improve efficiency and remove flaws.
    Don't count on it; not everything is refined some things have gone backwards..... MS changed the drive in the 360 and some machines manufactured in December 06 with this new drive have been missing parts from it that prevent the drive from scratching the disk if it comes into contact with the lens. I mean come on, missing parts. How can that happen?

I'm really starting to think that your either lucky or not lucky when owning a 360.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorza View Post
    Don't count on it; not everything is refined some things have gone backwards..... MS changed the drive in the 360 and some machines manufactured in December 06 with this new drive have been missing parts from it that prevent the drive from scratching the disk if it comes into contact with the lens. I mean come on, missing parts. How can that happen?

I'm really starting to think that your either lucky or not lucky when owning a 360.
    its like any piece of hw i guess.

Thanks
    • Dorza's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Deluxe - WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.06Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Crucial
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung SpinPoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce 9600GT
      • PSU:
      • Cosair HX520W
      • Case:
      • LianLi something something or other
      • Monitor(s):
      • Eizo FlexScan S1910 (1280*1024)
      • Internet:
      • 2mb Virgin (when they want to give me that: else 1mb)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoku View Post
    its like any piece of hw i guess.
    True but most HW you buy that costs a lot of money works and doesn't have this aura of failure surrounding it. That issue with the missing parts above indicates an issue with quality control somewhere along the line. I mean most manufacturing systems these days have some sort of system that will indicate to the controller that something has gone wrong; in this case missing parts. The 360 is a great system and I love using it in the short time I have had mine but I can't help but feel that every time I turn it on I'm thinking it could be the last time it works despite it being a new purchase. I've never felt like that about an electrical piece of hardware before.
    Last edited by Dorza; 25-05-2007 at 01:35 AM.

Atari Falcon 030
    Thanks
    • bigblue's system
      • Motherboard:
      • K8N
      • CPU:
      • X2 4200
      • Storage:
      • 250 Gb WDC
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 7900GT
      • PSU:
      • Tagan Modular 430W
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC 20WGX2
      • Internet:
      • BT Yahooseless
    Nah, there's no guarantee of a new replacement because it's under warranty I'm afraid. If I remember correctly, if only it's faulty within 30 days then it has to be replaced as it's considered that it's been sold faulty. Other than that it's discretionary.

If it's been longer than 30 days they are allowed "reasonable" time to repair or replace with new or equivalent condition product. So in theory you could get a reconditioned machine (as many have).

Fingers crosse you get a newie though Thoku.

Flying prans are the flalalum Veles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Well I was talking about the shop, MS can give you a repaired console obviously. But shops don't have the facilities to repair consoles (or the proper certificates to say they're authorised MS repairers) so will replace them if you take it back to them, and under EU law they are obliged to do it, for at least a year, and possibly up to six. The whole point of a warranty is if it breaks within warranty, it's considered faulty, a warranty is basically saying, this product should last at least this long without breaking, if it does, there was something wrong with it. A mass market electronic product with a lifespan of 6 months is not acceptable, and under consumer rights laws you're allowed to get a replacement product from the shop you bought it for the length of the warranty.
    Last edited by Veles; 25-05-2007 at 10:20 AM.

Veles on: Xbox live, My Halo stats
    Veles343 on: Xfire, Steam, BF2, BF2142
    My Blog

Atari Falcon 030
    Thanks
    • bigblue's system
      • Motherboard:
      • K8N
      • CPU:
      • X2 4200
      • Storage:
      • 250 Gb WDC
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 7900GT
      • PSU:
      • Tagan Modular 430W
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC 20WGX2
      • Internet:
      • BT Yahooseless
    But shops don't have the facilities to repair consoles (or the proper certificates to say they're authorised MS repairers) so will replace them if you take it back to them
    They don't actually have to. They do, but they could just as easily take them off you and send them back to Microsoft themselves. Also, if you'd be better served by returning it direct to MS yourself than taking it to a shop, you can't really complain. I'm guessing that the retailers currently have an agreement in place with Microsoft over how they deal with faulty products. If they didn't, and replaced it to the customer of their own free will, dependant on what was wrong Microsoft could easily (and legally) send them back the repaired machines.

and under EU law they are obliged to do it, for at least a year
    They don't I'm afraid. They're only obliged to replace anything if it's faulty at purchase, inherent faults etc. If not, and it's over a month or two old they can legally repair or replace it with an equal condition reconditioned unit.

and possibly up to six
    Nah, that figure is the potential lifespan and this varies product to product. Within this period wear and tear happens and the value of the product drops. So if you try to get a repair in just under six years time, you can (fairly) expect a bill. If it's non-repairable and you want your dosh, expect no more than a goodwill gesture, maybe £20 if you're lucky.

The whole point of a warranty is if it breaks within warranty, it's considered faulty, a warranty is basically saying, this product should last at least this long without breaking, if it does, there was something wrong with it. A mass market electronic product with a lifespan of 6 months is not acceptable, and under consumer rights laws you're allowed to get a replacement product from the shop you bought it for the length of the warranty.
    Your rights vary really, dependant on what is wrong and how long you've had the product. Manufacturers take very different stances, and if MS are replacing all consoles returned to shops, they're being VERY consumer friendly.

I'm not trying to pick holes Veles, and I sincerely hope I haven't caused any offence, but it's just that I've worked in retail long enough to know people read things on the net and take it as gospel, so I don't wan't any of our fine members to be misinformed I don't want Thoku jumping up and down in his local Game if they refuse a replacement for example ! (THough I'm sure he'll get a replacement if that's the general policy).

There's so much incorrect rumour about your SoGA rights on the net that it's no wonder people get mixed up. I'm a bit rusty on SoGA stuff (and here's where someone points out how wrong I am ) but it made up a big part of my job for 6 years or so, so I'm not just trying to be a smart-arse.
    Last edited by bigblue; 26-05-2007 at 12:29 AM.

Thread Information