Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS3 through monitor with DVI to HDMI?

Registered+
    Thanks

PS3 through monitor with DVI to HDMI?

Hey all,

I'm about to get a PS3 (GTA calls!) and I don't have a HD tv, so I'd like to use my current PC monitor if possible. I've got a 19" widescreen Hanns G, natural resolution is 1440x900. So by my reckoning I should be able to get 720p through it.

However, I've heard getting the PS3 to display a HD image through a monitor is pretty problematic. I've done a bit of research, and people seem to be pointing to this thing to solve the problem for VGA:

Buy YPbPr to RGBHV VGA Box (Xbox & Xbox360) - Order Now!

My question is, has anyone managed to get a PS3 running through a VGA LCD monitor similar to mine (that doesn't support HDCP) with HD resolutions, and generally looking as good as a HD tv? And if so how did you do it, was it using that thing in the link? If not what?

Also, what's the deal with using DVI? My monitor model doesn't support HDCP, but does have a DVI port (it's this monitor: h t t p://w w w.overclockers .c o. u k/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-017-OK). Can i get away with using a DVI/HDMI cable and adapter? And if I can, what would I then need to use to get sound, like if i wanted to use a standard st of headphones?

Sorry to ask this again, I guess people often ask, but I've not been able to get any explations I've fully understood from researching it, so I thought best to ask.

Cheers,

J

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading...
    Last edited by directhex; 07-04-2008 at 04:16 PM. Reason: pretty sure you're not a spammer. have a url.

Thanks
    • Stringent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DQ57TM
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Geforce 260GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy

Re: PS3 through monitor with DVI to HDMI?

I bought an RGB converter box from eBay for £30. It converts component cable to VGA. I then plugged it into my projector and can get 720p out of it easily. That would be the way forward. Maplin do a DVI to HDMI converter

Maplin > DVI to HDMI Adaptor

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi,

thanks for your help,

so the best way to go for me would be to get a converter? What converter did you buy, is it the one i showed on the link, the YPbPr to RGBHV VGA Box?

Am i garanteed to get it working with at least 720p using that? And what about the sound issue?

Thanks
    • JimmyBoy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VI ROG Hero
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770k @ 4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250gb Samsung 840 SSD / 3tb Seagate / 1tb Western Digital
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HiS ATi Radeon HD 7950
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster GX 650w
      • Case:
      • Bit Fenix Shinobi XL
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" LG IPS277L-BN 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 120mb down 10mb up

if its specifically for gta then why not get a 360?
    it'll have exclusive content (or so im told) and theres an official vga cable about which im told has good results, its cheaper too

(please note im not being a fanboy or anything so dont bash me, just i think the 360 is a better choice when it comes to gta)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonnex View Post
    Hey all,

I'm about to get a PS3 (GTA calls!) and I don't have a HD tv, so I'd like to use my current PC monitor if possible. I've got a 19" widescreen Hanns G, natural resolution is 1440x900. So by my reckoning I should be able to get 720p through it.

However, I've heard getting the PS3 to display a HD image through a monitor is pretty problematic. I've done a bit of research, and people seem to be pointing to this thing to solve the problem for VGA:

h t t p : / / w w w .play-asia. c o m/paOS-13-71-11z-49-en-70-1d2s.html
    (sorry about the spaces, but i'm not gonna spam the forum with 5 useless posts just so I can put a link in!)

My question is, has anyone managed to get a PS3 running through a VGA LCD monitor similar to mine (that doesn't support HDCP) with HD resolutions, and generally looking as good as a HD tv? And if so how did you do it, was it using that thing in the link? If not what?

Also, what's the deal with using DVI? My monitor model doesn't support HDCP, but does have a DVI port (it's this monitor: h t t p://w w w.overclockers .c o. u k/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-017-OK). Can i get away with using a DVI/HDMI cable and adapter? And if I can, what would I then need to use to get sound, like if i wanted to use a standard st of headphones?

Sorry to ask this again, I guess people often ask, but I've not been able to get any explations I've fully understood from researching it, so I thought best to ask.

Cheers,

J

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading...
    I've got a very similar situation to you and used a DVI-HDMI cable for video and a 2xRCA Phono - 3.5mm adapter for audio. Ps. the links below are just example, you may be able to find cheaper available

Amazon.co.uk: Premium HDMI to DVI Cable Gold 2 Metre: Electronics & Photo
    Amazon.co.uk: WE11130 Adaptor 3.5mm stereo plug to 2 x RCA sockets: Electronics & Photo

You might also need something like this:

Amazon.co.uk: 3.5mm stereo coupler - socket to socket: Electronics & Photo

If you want to use headphones.

Hope that helps

And I don't think the problems that people originally had with HDMI - DVI exist any more because it works perfectly on my TV and that doesn't have HDCP. If you need any more help you can PM me of just post here

Registered+
    Thanks

Hey again,

And that's a lot poozle, that was a brilliantly comprehensive answer!

I tried to PM you, but I couldn't see a way through the forum, so i'm just posting back here.

anyway, so you say that the HDCP thing might not even be an issue? I'm wondering if you know why that is, is it that you can buy cables now that just sort the problem out?

And which monitor do you use with this cable, and are you sure your monitor doesn't suppose HDCP? As i said before i've been really confused in trying to find out how i can do this, and some people have told me that if my monitor doesnt support HDCP (which it doesnt) then i cant use DVI-HDMI. so i'm just wanting to make sure i get everything right before buying all the stuff.

JimmyBoy: I'm not really just getting the PS3 for GTAIV, it's just the reason i'm getting it now as opposed to later

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

the ps3 will only do "hdtv" resolutions, so ensure your screen actually supports 1280x720 as a mode

Registered+
    Thanks

regardless of the resolution thing, the more i search the more i'm finding that as my monitor is not HDCP compliant, this DVI-HDMI route isnt going to work.

unless anyone has any good reason why this isnt true, can anyone suggest a reasonably cheap 19"-20" lcd monitor that supports HDCP....?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonnex View Post
    regardless of the resolution thing, the more i search the more i'm finding that as my monitor is not HDCP compliant, this DVI-HDMI route isnt going to work.

unless anyone has any good reason why this isnt true, can anyone suggest a reasonably cheap 19"-20" lcd monitor that supports HDCP....?
    I KNOW my TV doesn't support HDCP because it is too old and cheap to, doens't have any HD-Ready logos or anything on it. I had the same reservations when trying mine after looking around online and seeing all the comments.

The reason why it makes no difference (at least yet) is because HDCP is only needed for protection but something called ICT isn't going to be enabled for a couple of years yet (ICT a non-issue till at least 2010? - Engadget HD).

I would recommend at least trying with an HDMI to DVI cable (quality doesn't matter, a £2 cable will work as well as a £20 cable because digital signals don't suffer degradation) as it is a lot cheaper than buying an expensive converter box.

I'll be more than willing to answer any more questions you have because it sounds like you're going through the exact same process I went through when I tried it.

ps. The reason you can't PM yet is lack of posts, you need 25 posts (I think) before you can use the PM function.

Registered+
    Thanks

Hey again,

I've done a bit more specific searching on google, and i found 2 different posts by people trying to get a ps3 running through my specific monitor, and both having no luck with any method! they said the DVI-HDMI method definately didnt work, citing the reason as lack of HDCP....

It seems pretty concrete... I wonder how your TV manages it! either way seems my monitor won't.

I'm going to look into getting a new monitor and selling my current one, but i'll have to buy the cables anyway so i'll buy them sooner and try with my current monitor. nothing to lose!

Thanks again for all your help!

Registered+
    Thanks

Ok, so i'm looking for a new monitor, officially.

Any recommendations? I'm looking to spend at little as possible, most being about the £150 mark.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks

When were these posts made Jonnex :S I think it was an early problem with the PS3 that has now been fixed (although am not certain). Surely it would be much cheaper for you to just buy the DVI-HDMI cable to test than get a new monitor :S Or are you just looking for an excuse to buy a new monitor

I read a LOT of problems about it by searching but thought that I'd rather pay £3 for a cable to test it, than buy a new monitor for a LOT more.

Registered+
    Thanks

Yeah I thought that'd be worthwhile, but having read that my monitor doesn't support HDCP, and even seen posts by people with my monitor who've tried using DVI-HDMI cables, it seemed a waste of time

I've ordered a Hanns G HG216DP, which has a HDMI port, so it'll definately work with the PS3. No problems there, and it was pretty cheap, considering it's 22"! I really didn't want to have to buy a new monitor, but it was the only way..

Out of interest, what tv/monitor are you using? As if it doesnt support HDCP it's weird you're able to use that cable!

Thanks a lot for all your help though, really appreciate it!

Registered+
    Thanks

sorry i didnt answer one of your questions:

Don't know when the posts were made, but it's not an issue that got fixed, so much. See, HDMI uses this HDCP standard, which is like a copy protection type thingy for HD content.. or something like that.

So to use a monitor with a DVI-HDMI cable, your monitor needs to be HDCP compliant, otherwise you get a black screen. This is the problem with my monitor.

Hope that clears that up

Thanks

I know HDMI uses HDCP, but that is only going to be used for Bluray disks (and HD movie downloads maybe?), and not for another 2 years yet. From what I can understand from looking online there was a bug in early PS3s that caused them to require this which has now been fixed.

And my monitor... no idea off the top of my head, will have a look when i get home, all I know is that its discontinued now.

Anyway, hope you enjoy your new monitor, I'd be buying a new monitor for my PS3 if I had money, well new TV I should say

Registered+
    Thanks

I'd be interested to read up on these problems, have you got any links?

But anyway, it's no biggy because I'll have this new monitor soon. Nice and big My only worry is that I've preordred GTA too late - most UK sites are saying thye've already sold out, just hope I got mine ordered in time! I'll cry if i dont have it on release date!

haha

anyways thanks a lot for your help poozle, really appreciate it

i'm on msn, ronsill@hotmail.com, if you use it

laters!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information