Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS Vita vs the iPad on gaming

Thanks

PS Vita vs the iPad on gaming

Hi there!

I want to ask about gaming especially comparing the PS Vita and the iPad.
    With the information we have the specs & graphics power of the Vita is almost the same with the "new" iPad. Is that an accurate assessment? And would you agree that games on the iPad (e.g. FIFA12 or Marvel vs Capcom 2) are relatively cheaper than that of Sony's? (via traditonal discs or the PS Store)

Also, comparing the iPad to a traditional console like the PS Vita as a "general rule & perception" regardless of type of game (but for arguments sake let's maybe put FIFA12 or MvC2 as an example) would a device having physical buttons be better than that of a touch-type like the iPad's?

Any comment?

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: PS Vita vs the iPad on gaming

Quote Originally Posted by gino_76ph View Post
    Hi there!

I want to ask about gaming especially comparing the PS Vita and the iPad.
    With the information we have the specs & graphics power of the Vita is almost the same with the "new" iPad. Is that an accurate assessment? And would you agree that games on the iPad (e.g. FIFA12 or Marvel vs Capcom 2) are relatively cheaper than that of Sony's? (via traditonal discs or the PS Store)

Also, comparing the iPad to a traditional console like the PS Vita as a "general rule & perception" regardless of type of game (but for arguments sake let's maybe put FIFA12 or MvC2 as an example) would a device having physical buttons be better than that of a touch-type like the iPad's?

Any comment?
    Actually,the Vita is a more powerful gaming platform:
    1.)Has dedicated VRAM
    2.)Has a quad core
    3.)Is a dedicated games machine without the OS overhead of a general purpose machone
    4.)The MP4+ GPU is faster than the MP4 used in the iPad
    5.)Games will be dedicated to use the resources of the console better IMHO than a general purpose machine
    6.)Games are rendered at a lower resolution

Of course,that is just my technical assessment,but TBH I would be looking at the games library and the input methods those games use and what suits you better. The iPad will probably have cheaper games too.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 27-08-2012 at 12:42 AM. Reason: typo

Thanks

I know its a strange comparison and its quite a tricky question as well.

Let's get one thing straight here: I won't probablly be spending lots of time playing a particular game on a tablet. Let me tell you the games i had with my old iPad 2: Infinity Blade, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Soul Calibur & FIFA12. I bought them because they are really good games. They are not the casual games that someone might have. And i believe all of them (sans Infinity Blade) are available on the Vita.

I would say i would not be playing them for an hour each. If i do play them for an hour each then it would just be one game at a time e.g. Soul Calibur in the morning, Infinity Blade in the afternoon, etc.

I'm aware games are relatively cheaper with the iPad2/3 but i'm trying to determine as someone who has PSP 2 years ago and a PS3 a few months ago (i sold them all due to money) would i have more "choices" (of more games) and better game "control" with a console like PS Vita or as someone who would feel having a tablet as a gaming machine to get an iPad?

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

The Vita is more portable and has dedicated controls,which would make it a better choice for me, as you can use it while travelling and TBH even a decent phone would be better than a tablet in this regard. Moreover,a tablet will be more fragile,larger,more expensive and more of a target for thieves if gaming on the train or bus for example.

Thanks

You see I am looking for a device that i can call "multi-use" and portable-ish. I can see your point for the iPad a target for thieves and stuff.

But let's put this thing in a different perspective....

If i'm out & about in London the Vita might be more portable as it is smaller than an iPad. The trouble is the 3-5 hours battery life might just about be "ok" so the confidence is not enough there. If i'm travelling around the UK or abroad for a holiday where it takes hours to travel a bigger screen might be better for me so in this case i would get an iPad.

I don't travel a lot in a year. Maybe during Summer (oops!) around the country for a (say) long weekend. Travelling abroad maybe twice a year.

When i went to the Playstation UK website there are not a lot of Vita games. Some of my fave games are downloadable via PSN Store. Where as with the iPad and with a good argument of a "secured" future with games i would feel more confident with it. I have a strong feeling that developers & makers of games are in a "wait and see" attitude when it comes to the Vita. If i was a developer i would either go with Android or iOS as the overall echosystem of the OS are somehow secured/guaranteed for A future. Unlike the Vita's. (I could be wrong)

I wouldn't be travelling in the next 4 months or so. Maybe just around the UK. And i mostly stay at home but i feel the itch to play games.

If Sony makes their game cards cheaper, make the Vita's battery life at least 5-6 hours and have the ability to re-download games i've bought over at the PSN Store via my PS3 then i'd buy a Vita today.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

I would then just get a better phone TBH and maybe one with a removable battery.

However,if you are set on a tablet,get a 7" one such as the Nexus 7 or something along those lines.

Structually,they are less fragile, are smaller and tend to be cheaper.

7. Received thanks from:

gino_76ph (27-08-2012)

Thanks

I prefer the overall echosystem/number & availability of apps on the iOS than on Android.

And still some of my concerns have not been answered on the Vita.

PS Vita? iPad 2/3? or the PS3?

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

I prefer the overall echosystem/number & availability of apps on the iOS than on Android.

And still some of my concerns have not been answered on the Vita.

PS Vita? iPad 2/3? or the PS3?
    I have a 10" tablet myself and TBH,if you are travelling get something smaller,which is easier to slip into a side pocket. I consider 10" tablets to be fragile devices.

Like I said a phone or a smaller tablet makes sense. So either wait for the iPad Mini or get an iPhone.

OTH,considering the silly amount of applications you can get for Android now(600000),I personally don't think number of apps really makes any difference.

My mate said the same thing as he has an iPhone. After he saw the number of apps and type of apps I have on my phone,he really never mentioned it again.

Thanks

I'm also thinking on the practicality side of things. I got Marvel vs Capcom 2, Soul Calibur, Infinity Blade on my iPad 2 and i have all paid for them. You can't find those games on ANY Android phone or tablet.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

I'm also thinking on the practicality side of things. I got Marvel vs Capcom 2, Soul Calibur, Infinity Blade on my iPad 2 and i have all paid for them. You can't find those games on ANY Android phone or tablet.
    So,you already have an iPad2?? You do realise the iPad 3 has a much higher resolution to render games at,anyway so in many cases it won't be much quicker unless you upscale the games. Hence,it will be probably the iPad4 which will be the one which bumps up useable processing power somewhat.

It seems your app comment is not number of apps or ecosystem(how many good android apps are not on iOS for example?),but its because some games are available on iOS ATM only,which is not really same thing is it?? All,the really popular games seem to have ports for both last time I checked,and the same goes for all the really important apps,and I know people who have products from both companies,but as the specific games you want are on iOS ATM stick with what you got. Upgradetitus can be a very persistant bug.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 27-08-2012 at 05:47 PM.

Thanks

I HAD an iPad 2 a few months ago until i sold it for financial reasons. I would say most apps that i like is on iOS.

With issues such as of battery overheating when playing games for a specific amount of time, overheating affecting the inards, slow battery charging and quick battery discharging I ama bit hesitant on getting the iPad 3. More pixels means better graphics yes. Dual-core with a proven 1GB RAM yes. But is it really a good investment? Is it worth gambling on the issues/problems that hounded the "new" iPad since day 1? Is the difference really that good or negligible? (saw an iPad 3 in PCWorld and looking at ot really carefully yes there is a slight difference but....hmmm.)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

If I had an iPad2,I would not be in any rush to get an iPad3. The rumoured iPad Mini would be right up your street.

Thanks

If i don't have anything right now would you just get a PS3? and wait for the iPad mini later? I have heard it's still gonna be by October by the time its released...a rough 2 months wait.

And if the iPad mini's specs are the same as the iPad 3's would i have no problem with re-downloading the games i had before? (As it is Retina display-powered and a smaller screen - that's the general presumption; app makers probably would have to issue an update for their games to make it "compatible" with the 7-inch screen)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

If i don't have anything right now would you just get a PS3? and wait for the iPad mini later? I have heard it's still gonna be by October by the time its released...a rough 2 months wait.

And if the iPad mini's specs are the same as the iPad 3's would i have no problem with re-downloading the games i had before? (As it is Retina display-powered and a smaller screen - that's the general presumption; app makers probably would have to issue an update for their games to make it "compatible" with the 7-inch screen)
    I dunno TBH. It depends if an "HD" version of the game is released which is considered separate from the original.

You don't have a PC capable of running games??

There might be a new version of the PS3 too:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ever-says-sony

Thanks

My Macbook Air has no disc drive. I sold my PS3 and my iPad 2 months ago.

When i went to a Currys-PCWorld branch i was checking out some of the iPads. I was playing a game similar to Angry Birds and the sign says "New iPad" beside the device. But the sales person told me that what i am holding in front of me is actually an iPad 2 and i was shocked. On the other side was the actual iPad 3. TBH there is no really clear/obvious distinguishing (is that a word?) difference. Very minor difference on the photos and the letters on the website. I would say it is negligible.

Went to Game. The PS Vita they have wasn't charged so i wasn't able to try it. The Nintendo 3DS XL i was able to try but my confidence went slightly downhill upon learning that the games i'm looking for/would like to play are very limited. The same with the Vita...limited games. And expensive games.

That leaves me with an iPad or a cheaper PS3.

Registered+
    Thanks

I would go for PS3 though i'm not a fan of tablets since you can get a phablet which is more useful imo ^^

18. Received thanks from:

gino_76ph (31-08-2012)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information