Thread: PS Vita Redesign // PS Vita TV - Both announced

Thanks

PS Vita Redesign // PS Vita TV - Both announced

Redesigned Vita - slimmer, lighter, +1hr battery life, LCD screen, 1GB onboard memory, micro USB port, pretty colours!
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-vita-redesign

Vita TV - Play Vita games from card, remote play from PS4, digital services (eg Hulu) for ~ £70 (depending on exchange rates)
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...vita-tv-device

64GB memory cards also announced - Yay!!!!

New slimmer, lighter Vita, LCD screen instead of OLED (difference this will make not yet quantified), 1hr more battery life, micro usb for charging/data - This might make me change mine if they come out cheap enough!

Vita TV - A box with a memory card and Vita card slot to play Vita/PSN games on your TV. Also streams from PS4 (as you’d imagine, it’s basically a Vita with no screen/battery)

Sony have been very clever in my opinion, they’ve offered multiple routes into the PS ecosystem.

- Have little money? Buy a Vita TV and build up a games collection, then when you have money buy a Vita or PS4
    - Have a Vita? Buy a PS4, seriously, just do it!
    - Want to stream games/media in another room? You have little choice other than a Vita/Vita TV - Smartglass is an unknown quantity right now.

Thanks

Re: PS Vita Redesign // PS Vita TV - Both announced

Man... I've "almost" bought a Vita for like a year now. They keep popping up on HUKD but the thing that stops me is the awful overpricing of the memory cards..

I do think it's only a matter of time though and if I am going to get a new console it will be the PS4.

Thanks

Memory cards have been reduced in Japan by approx 30%, there the 64GB is now ~15% more expensive than the old price of the 32GB.

If that exact pricing moved over to here then you'd be looking at just over £50 for the 64GB card or if that pricing is 15% more than the OLD price of the 32Gb then you'd be looking at the mid £60s.

Regardless: Buy a Vita, they're flippin' brilliant!

Thanks

Sorry to hijack your own thread but...

Regardless: Buy a Vita, they're flippin' brilliant!
    Were you apprehensive about getting one before you bought it? I'm not sure I actually want one as much as I think (sometimes it seems thinking about buying something is more fun than actually getting it).

What games would you recommend?

Thanks
    • Enverex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H77n-WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K with Scythe Shuriken
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 500GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 670 2GB OC Power Edition
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 550W G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG11
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 42LW550T 42" TV
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity

Strange, the move from OLED to LCD is a BIG backwards step which to be honest negates any other benefits they listed! (which other than the better battery life, seem to be minimal).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raz316 View Post
    Sorry to hijack your own thread but...

Were you apprehensive about getting one before you bought it? I'm not sure I actually want one as much as I think (sometimes it seems thinking about buying something is more fun than actually getting it).

What games would you recommend?
    I got one as I work away from home so wanted something to game on. Cost was a big issue but now prices are reduced and memory cards have also gone down. It depends on your usage of course, but I'm more than happy with mine and play it at home as well even thouh I've got a PS3.

As for using it, indie games are fantastic on it, plenty of support from devs, they're not my main type of gaming but the ones I have I do enjoy. PS1/PSP classics are great, typically just a couple of quid for some retro gaming! If you have PS+ then 'free' games every month tide me over quite well, my actual spend on games is fairly low.

It's a lovely device that is a must if you love indies, IMO it needs a couple of big hitting games but I have nothing but praise for it and the great support from Sony/devs alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Enverex View Post
    Strange, the move from OLED to LCD is a BIG backwards step which to be honest negates any other benefits they listed! (which other than the better battery life, seem to be minimal).

Until we see comparisons that's debatable. The only experience I've had with my own eyes is comparing a HTC Desire OLED vs LCD versions and the LCD won, OLD was over-saturated and not as crisp (pentile matrix didn't help)
    My vita has a very small black mark when showing a dark screen, it's a common problem and mine seems to be one of the good ones. I read that it's due to OLED and is unavoidable, LCD wouldn't suffer from this so is 'better' on that point.
    Extra battery, smaller,micro USB is more important to me than a currently unknown difference in screen. People are moaning that Sony are going LCD but no-one has even seen it yet and Sony did a good job with v1 so Ill give them the benefit of the doubt until I see one with my own eyes.

7. Received thanks from:

Raz316 (09-09-2013)

Thanks
    • Dooms's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 2080 Super
      • PSU:
      • 750W Corsair Pro
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 6.1
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UC88 34-Inch 21:9
      • Internet:
      • 1GB Telenor

LCD generally displays better in sunlight than OLED as well (reason why S4 Active went LCD instead of OLED from S4). You can't say its a step backwards until we see the quality of the LCD they have gone with and the reasons behind it.

I've been tempted by the Vita a few times but there just hasn't enough enough must play games for me to take the plunge. If I do end up picking up a PS4 that might be what I need to push me to getting a Vita in the hopes they do something meaningful with that partnership.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

I'm not bothered by the Vita itself in the slightest (kind of surprised they are bringing out a second one, didn't the first one tank?), but that Vita TV is kind of interesting.

Chiefly if it really supports HD video streaming over Wifi to allow me to play PS4 games on my bedroom TV. Theoretically if that worked it may also work for blu-rays etc (unless it relies upon "remote play" support in games of course)...but regardless, it's pretty useful. I can do it already with my PS3 however that's only SD using my TV transmitter, so not quite the same...

If its DNLA (or can at least access network shares and play back video or streams) then they are on to a winner and i'll definitely pick one up alongside the PS4.

I can see the benefits are even greater if you have a Vita as you'll be able to play games on it, but personally its the PS4 interaction that excites me. Good move Sony!

HSK
    Thanks
    • HSK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87-Pro Socket 1150 DVI HDMI DisplayPort 8-channel Audio ATX Motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 4770K 3.50GHz Socket 1150 8MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LP Memory CML16GX3M2A1600C9 16GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Seagate 2TB BARRACUDA 3.5" SATA-III Hard Drive - 7200RPM 64MB Cache X 2 + Samsung 256GB 840 Pro SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Point Of View 8800GTS 512mb PCIE DVI
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Professional AX860 Fully Modular 80 PLUS Platinum 860W PSU
      • Case:
      • Corsair Graphite 600T Mesh Black Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 69cm (27")
      • Internet:
      • Plus.net