• Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

Weird FIFA issue

I have a PS5, and bought FIFA21 with it for my son. He's 7, so not in the EA teen account range, however he was able to sign into EA's servers in order to play FUT. Not sure why he needed to sign in to play it offline, but there you go.

Now, he's seen videos about The Journey and FIFA21 doesn't have this, so we got him FIFA18 as a treat for working hard at school. When he tries to play FUT, it won't let him onto the EA servers, apparently because he's not 13 or over. So anyone know why he can do it in 21 but not 18? Is there a way round it, other than creating a new EA account and lying in the age bit?

Thanks

Re: Weird FIFA issue

I would just create a new account and make his age over 18, its getting silly the amount of things that are disabled for under 18's

My daughter got the new apple watch for her birthday, she is under 18, and because of that the blood oxygen and ecg don't work :/ Not that she needs it but still
    Jon

3. Received thanks from:

Smudger (13-02-2021)

Thanks

Umm... this is by design. TLDR, FIFA Ultimate Team is a glorified gambling simulator. I know this because I'm an avid gamer and have seen how this has been going down over the years.

EA have been skirting the issue for too long, and by the sounds of it, now just don't care.

If you want some more info, here's a couple of videos discussing this:
    Jim Sterling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHy7XueW6dc

Yongyea:

I won't let my kids go anywhere near this, I have 2 around this age! But I won't tell you what to do.

If you still want your kid to play UT in 2018, you'd probably need to create a new account... it's a safeguard that EA don't want.
    "Arrogance and stupidity all in the same package. How efficient of you!" - Ambassador Londo Mollari
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - A General

5. Received thanks from:

Smudger (13-02-2021),Terbinator (13-02-2021)

Thanks

My son plays Fifa constantly and doesn't buy loot boxes, I don't think you can apply that thinking to everyone, that suddenly they are going to become some gambling addict.

While EA has been well known for its use of loot boxes I can't see any reason why letting your kids play is going to be an issue, if there is no payment method attached to the account, there is no way they can buy stuff anyway.
    Jon

7. Received thanks from:

Smudger (13-02-2021)

Thanks

I never said that. But kids are still learning... and I've seen mine change interests quickly. All I gave was food for thought... in case OP didn't know.
    "Arrogance and stupidity all in the same package. How efficient of you!" - Ambassador Londo Mollari

9. Received thanks from:

Smudger (13-02-2021)

Thanks

Interesting story here regarding loot boxes : https://insidersport.com/2020/12/14/...-box-lawsuits/

Ironically the PEGI rating for FIFA 18 is 3
    Jon

11. Received thanks from:

Scryder (13-02-2021),Smudger (13-02-2021)

Thanks

Interesting read, I gotta say EA are nothing if not predictable! Also this is not just an EA problem, I just bought The Crew 2 and it has those microtransactions to buy progress with real money... can be avoided, BUT they make the grind hard so that some people just give into it.

@Smudger Answer to your question is in Posts #2 & 3

13. Received thanks from:

Smudger (13-02-2021)

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    I have a PS5, and bought FIFA21 with it for my son. He's 7, so not in the EA teen account range, however he was able to sign into EA's servers in order to play FUT. Not sure why he needed to sign in to play it offline, but there you go.

Now, he's seen videos about The Journey and FIFA21 doesn't have this, so we got him FIFA18 as a treat for working hard at school. When he tries to play FUT, it won't let him onto the EA servers, apparently because he's not 13 or over. So anyone know why he can do it in 21 but not 18? Is there a way round it, other than creating a new EA account and lying in the age bit?
    It's been answered already but this is basically to get them out of hot water in regards to the "surprise mechanics" of loot boxes and links to gambling in the NL and elsewhere.

It wasn't under the microscope as much in '18 from the general public as it is now (and ofc not just limited to FIFA).
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

15. Received thanks from:

Smudger (13-02-2021)

Thread Information