Thread: Availability of "proper" consoles??

Thanks

Availability of "proper" consoles??

A friend that isn't into technology asked me "where is best to get a "proper" console, and .... which one?

Once I finished guffawing, I realised ... I don't actually know. The last time I bought a console was when XBox 360 launched and I'm just assuming that these days they stand about as much chance of getting either a PS5 or Xbox Series X (which is what it turned out "proper console" meant) as I do of having Loch Ness Monster and chips for dinner tonight, and Blue Moon Cheese and crackers, with a Fairy Dust coating (actual fairy dust, not some confectionery product of like name), served by a Leprechaun riding a Unicorn.

But, I don't know.

Am I correct in thinking that they're as much in demand, with almost zero supply, as Nvidia 30xx cards, i.e. if available at all, it ain't for long, and at eye-watering prices?
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: Availability of "proper" consoles??

Supply has been far better than GPUs. If you don't want a top end console,the XBox Series S has been very easy to find. XBox Series X is also the easier of the two to find when compared to the PS5.

Ravens Nest

I got my Series X at RRP by using the Hotstock app on mobile, But as Cat-the-fifth says the PS5 is harder to get.

My cousin has got a PS5 on pre-order from Very, that was a week ago.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Argos seem to have the Series X in stock for delivery.

Far easier to get than GPUs.

Thanks

Thanks guys. Will pass those ideas on.

@Cat - He doesn't want the Series S apparently. Was specific about that.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Ravens Nest

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    Thanks guys. Will pass those ideas on.

@Cat - He doesn't want the Series S apparently. Was specific about that.
    The Series S is a good machine if you want to game at 1080p (Some games run at 60fps some at 30fps, whereas the X is 60fps minimum on nearly everything and 120fps in some titles)

But because it has no Blu-ray drive everything is bought online digitally or you have to have game pass.
    Last edited by Ravens Nest; 14-02-2022 at 12:16 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens Nest View Post
    The Series S is a good machine if you want to game at 1080p (Some games run at 60fps some at 30fps, whereas the X is 60fps minimum on nearly everything and 120fps in some titles) and don't mind buying everything digitally or have game pass.
    I'll pass that on, too. But to be honest, I don't know why he's ruled out the Series S - just that he has, and was pretty adamant. I'm guessing some friend told him "Get a Series X or PS5". But it very much is a guess.

As for game pass, etc, dunno anything about it. I'm an old-fashioned type that wants my games local, doesn't play anything online and detests subscription-type stuff and DRM, which is why I rarely play anything I didn't get via GOG. I'm not qualified to argue Series S v Series X with him.

I'm also not sure why he asked me about where to get them, seeing as I've ignored consoles for about 20 years. But hey, if I don't know, you lot sure do.

Ravens Nest

I'll pass that on, too. But to be honest, I don't know why he's ruled out the Series S - just that he has, and was pretty adamant. I'm guessing some friend told him "Get a Series X or PS5". But it very much is a guess.

As for game pass, etc, dunno anything about it. I'm an old-fashioned type that wants my games local, doesn't play anything online and detests subscription-type stuff and DRM, which is why I rarely play anything I didn't get via GOG. I'm not qualified to argue Series S v Series X with him.

I'm also not sure why he asked me about where to get them, seeing as I've ignored consoles for about 20 years. But hey, if I don't know, you lot sure do.
    I don't really play anything online myself these days, game pass is online only and is a subscription every month like Netflix so games get rotated and if you stop paying the games will no longer work.

I was lucky I got game pass for just under £70 for 3 years access so for less than £2 a month (its normally £12 a month) I have way too many games to play now and I am loving it!

Series S is great for 1080p and will play nearly everything fine, but I like having the choice to access a physical copies of a game not trapped within a monopoly owned by the console manufacturer. so i got the X

An example for me was Guardians of the galaxy £50 on Microsoft store, £32 in CEX and I have completed it (Brilliant game) and can now sell it for £20-25.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens Nest View Post
    I don't really play anything online myself these days, game pass is online only and is a subscription every month like Netflix so games get rotated and if you stop paying the games will no longer work.

I was lucky I got game pass for just under £70 for 3 years access so for less than £2 a month (its normally £12 a month) I have way too many games to play now and I am loving it!

Series S is great for 1080p and will play nearly everything fine, but I like having the choice to access a physical copies of a game not trapped within a monopoly owned by the console manufacturer. so i got the X

An example for me was Guardians of the galaxy £50 on Microsoft store, £32 in CEX and I have completed it (Brilliant game) and can now sell it for £20-25.
    Sounds like we're on the same page, by and large. A couple of differences, maybe.

One of them is that I don't like selling games on. Well, don't much like selling anything on, really. It's a pain. So, I've kinda trained myself to not buy stuff if I don't plan on keeping it.

The first computer game I bought was, IIRC, Tigers in the Snow. It's a hex 'grid' WW2 battle game, circa 1978 or '79, and runs on the Apple IIe. I still have it, by which I mean, both TitS (the game) and the Apple IIe.

Then .... Wizardry. The original one (Apple again) where the graphics, which was revolutionary in it's day, was a very simple wireframe drawing on a corridor, corner, dloorway, etc, and then a traditional text description, and was (of course) based on the old D&D / AD&D games .... for which I also still have the original manuals and quite a few game scenarios.

When I think back to those days and how 'advanced' Wizardry felt, compared to sitting around a table with manuals, character sheets and half a dozen types of dice, it makes me realise how far we've come, in such a short (one lifetime) period of time. I was in my 20s before there were really any computer games, outside of things like Battleships and I first played that on an IBM S360 mainframe.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

One of them is that I don't like selling games on.
    It's a different mindset. Seems kind of nice to just dip in and try stuff out of a wide range with no consequences.

Plus, I've got boxes of old games in cupboards, and they are using up space. I'd rather not add to the pile tbh. Like I try and avoid buying stuff on DVD or blue-ray for the same living room clogging reason.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    It's a different mindset. .....
    Yup.

I get the logic of doing it the other way. It just isn't me.

I go through phases. I might be in agaming mood and have a mad couple of months. Then, not feel like it for a year. Same, for instance, for photo editing .... a mad few weeks, then a dry spell for ages.

For that reason, I loathe subscription on almost anything.

Also, on games, I often will just go back and play an old game for nostalgia's sake. Just actually bought the Thief series on GOG, 'cos it was on sale for silly money (£2.17 for Thief 1 Gold, Thief 2 and Thief 3), because I never got around to Thief 3. I go back and replay old stuff, sometimes years later.

Besides, I just can't be bothered to faff about selling things like old games. These days, I rarely buy new. What I do buy is often old classics that I missed (Grim Fandango, for example).

Ditto books. I think last time i added them up, it was about 3500. And yeah, a LOT of space.

And that's my mindset. No to subscriptions, wherever possible. If I want, say, a year's service enough to buy it (Ancestry for example), I will, but a monthly sub? Hell, no.

Oh, and i think I've sold something online maybe ... twice. When someone posted sayi ng "anyone got a old/spare xxx" and I did. But advertise something online for sale? Don't think I EVER have, for anything.

Thanks
    • Dareos's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77 - UD3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 Ivy Bridge
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Geforce 670 OC Windforce x 2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1050 Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" DGM and 40" Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • 152 Mb Virgin

theres a couple of discord groups

Stock informer UK
    PartAlert

both will give fairly up to date announcements of stock being available for either xbox series x or ps5
    We're only here for the Banter - The Luvvies - Chewin' The Fat

Violence and Lubrication is the solution to fixing everything, if it still doesn't work, you need more lubrication.

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    How do you change the height of them?

I've just had a quick fiddle with the knob at the front :\

13. Received thanks from:

Saracen999 (22-02-2022)

Thanks

Recently there have been multiple deals on HUKD website for PS5 bundles in stock so I think supply issues we had last year have improved now.

Thread Information