• Apple iMac
      • Operating System:
      • Mac OSx
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24inch
      • Internet:
      • 8mb BE connection

It's been a while.....

It was all too easy to stay in bed this Sunday so I missed the marathon in my usual style.

Here are a couple of my recent pictures though which I captured during a recent visit to Hampton Court.

First time I have actually taken pictures in RAW so I hope they came out okay.

Don't feed the trolls... tiggerai's Avatar
    Thanks
    • tiggerai's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD PhenomII 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire X1950XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-R 550w
      • Case:
      • Antec lovely black thing
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x 20" widescreen
      • Internet:
      • Pipexpants
    I love the daisy picture... it's really nicely shot!

And the 2 people hiding in the flowers tehe!

Nice piccies Nick.

Amateur photographer Hans Voralberg's Avatar
    Thanks
    Dude how on earth could you miss that marathon =.=

The 2nd picture I think wud work better in B&W, will try it later on

The two daisies are very nice, nice composition although the colour is a bit dull and you kinda blow the highlight. Try using Lightroom and use the Colour Vỉbrance slide ^^

The rest, IMO the colour doesnt "pop" yet, but then it's a matter of taste
    Primary kit:
    Fuji S5 Pro - Nikkor AF 50/1.8 - Nikkor AF 85/1.8
    Epson RD-1

Film Kit:
    Leica M3 - Summicron 50/2 DR - Zeiss ZM 25/2.8 - M-Rokkor 40/2

Olympus OM2n - Zuiko 50/2 Macro - Zuiko 50/1.4 - Zuiko 35/2.8

Thanks
    • Nick F's system
      • CPU:
      • 2.4Ghz C2D
      • Memory:
      • 4GB
      • Storage:
      • 320Gb internal / 750Gb external
      • Case:
      • Apple iMac
      • Operating System:
      • Mac OSx
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24inch
      • Internet:
      • 8mb BE connection
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans Voralberg View Post
    Dude how on earth could you miss that marathon =.=

The 2nd picture I think wud work better in B&W, will try it later on

The two daisies are very nice, nice composition although the colour is a bit dull and you kinda blow the highlight. Try using Lightroom and use the Colour Vỉbrance slide ^^

The rest, IMO the colour doesnt "pop" yet, but then it's a matter of taste
    I used the PS RAW editor to change the settings to Auto. Is there any specific settings I should be concentrating on when converting my RAW files?

Thanks
    Saturation and Sharpness ?
    Primary kit:
    Epson RD-1

Film Kit:

Thanks
    • Bobster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AX370 GAMING K7
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 5600X
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill FlareX 32GB DDR4 3200
      • Storage:
      • 42TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 6700XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850X
      • Case:
      • SilverStone TJ05
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG LG 27UD88-W, LG 27 ColourPrime, HP LP2475w
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb
    curves and sharpness - the right curves will outshine saturation

good pics #3 ftw

Thanks
    • Nick F's system
      • CPU:
      • 2.4Ghz C2D
      • Memory:
      • 4GB
      • Storage:
      • Case:
      • Apple iMac
      • Operating System:
      • Mac OSx
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24inch
      • Internet:
      • 8mb BE connection
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    curves and sharpness - the right curves will outshine saturation

good pics #3 ftw
    Does PS automatically pick the best settings when I click 'Auto' or should I just adjust everything myself until I get the effect I want?

Spider pig, spider pig
    Thanks
    If you're shooting in RAW then I'd do most of the saturation/contrast stuff in your RAW program, before going to PhotoShop or whatever editing program you use. I use RAWShooter, and just play with the sliders until I think it looks alright - not really rocket science, which is good, 'cause I don't think I'd be much good at rocket science!

Anyway, generally, I like! Some specific comments, if I may...

1. Needs more saturation, and a bit more contrast, but mainly a bit more saturation. Not that it's bad as it is, but there's so much colour in that shot - bringing it out would make it. The other thing is the composition - there's not a great deal going on in the left of the photo, whereas there's a couple in the middle, and a tree to the right. I'd have been more tempted to put the tree on the right third, and the couple on the left third, ans since you look like you're trying to make the most of the foreground, maybe put the couple on the upper third. You'd probably have had to move a little to the left to do this, but I think it may have improved it.

2. Is very well exposed - you have details on the tree and some detail in the sky, which isn't easy to get. The main problem with this shot, for me, is the distracting background - was there anything behind you so you could have shot this from the other side of the tree, and not got the castle in the background? Also, could you have zoomed out a little more, and got the base of the tree? I am strangely a fan of random photos of trees, but I think you need to be able to see the whole thing, generally.

3. Is a photo that just goes to show you don't have to use the rule of thirds to get a nice photo - rules are there to be broken! If you reduce the highlight contrast a bit you might get a bit more detail in the flowers, but that's really nitpicking! Nice depth of focus.

4. As I said, I like photos of trees, and this one is of the whole tree - again a plus! The only thing is again, the background, which is quite distracting and here is quite similar to the subject you want to bring out. A narrower depth of focus might have helped, but it may just be the location wouldn't allow it. Still, increasing the saturation a bit would, imo, improve the photo.

5. Is nice, but feels a bit lacking in detail. I'm not sure whether this is because the whole flower is not in focus, which, if possible, might have helped (the background could have still stayed well out of focus). Again, playing around with saturation and contrast will probably help.

Sorry if that seems hyper-critical, but I do like them, just spotted things I noticed! The rule of thirds is generally something I find helpful, but the thing I have felt has helped almost more than anything else I have learned is learning how to post process, at least converting and editing RAW files properly, and getting used to RAWShooter.

Hope some of that helps!

Alex

Thanks
    Jeez, took me a fair bit of time to go through Alex's post. I would advise to go Lightroom if you can though, the best Raw processing out there IMO (and I stress the IMO bit)
    Primary kit:
    Epson RD-1

Film Kit:

Spider pig, spider pig
    Thanks
    Sorry, was I a bit harsh? Only trying to be helpful

Thanks
    No no very constructive, I'm just being lazy
    Primary kit:
    Epson RD-1

Film Kit:

Thanks
    • Nick F's system
      • CPU:
      • 2.4Ghz C2D
      • Memory:
      • 4GB
      • Storage:
      • Case:
      • Apple iMac
      • Operating System:
      • Mac OSx
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24inch
      • Internet:
      • 8mb BE connection
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    If you're shooting in RAW then I'd do most of the saturation/contrast stuff in your RAW program, before going to PhotoShop or whatever editing program you use. I use RAWShooter, and just play with the sliders until I think it looks alright - not really rocket science, which is good, 'cause I don't think I'd be much good at rocket science!

Anyway, generally, I like! Some specific comments, if I may...

1. Needs more saturation, and a bit more contrast, but mainly a bit more saturation. Not that it's bad as it is, but there's so much colour in that shot - bringing it out would make it. The other thing is the composition - there's not a great deal going on in the left of the photo, whereas there's a couple in the middle, and a tree to the right. I'd have been more tempted to put the tree on the right third, and the couple on the left third, ans since you look like you're trying to make the most of the foreground, maybe put the couple on the upper third. You'd probably have had to move a little to the left to do this, but I think it may have improved it.

2. Is very well exposed - you have details on the tree and some detail in the sky, which isn't easy to get. The main problem with this shot, for me, is the distracting background - was there anything behind you so you could have shot this from the other side of the tree, and not got the castle in the background? Also, could you have zoomed out a little more, and got the base of the tree? I am strangely a fan of random photos of trees, but I think you need to be able to see the whole thing, generally.

3. Is a photo that just goes to show you don't have to use the rule of thirds to get a nice photo - rules are there to be broken! If you reduce the highlight contrast a bit you might get a bit more detail in the flowers, but that's really nitpicking! Nice depth of focus.

4. As I said, I like photos of trees, and this one is of the whole tree - again a plus! The only thing is again, the background, which is quite distracting and here is quite similar to the subject you want to bring out. A narrower depth of focus might have helped, but it may just be the location wouldn't allow it. Still, increasing the saturation a bit would, imo, improve the photo.

5. Is nice, but feels a bit lacking in detail. I'm not sure whether this is because the whole flower is not in focus, which, if possible, might have helped (the background could have still stayed well out of focus). Again, playing around with saturation and contrast will probably help.

Sorry if that seems hyper-critical, but I do like them, just spotted things I noticed! The rule of thirds is generally something I find helpful, but the thing I have felt has helped almost more than anything else I have learned is learning how to post process, at least converting and editing RAW files properly, and getting used to RAWShooter.

Hope some of that helps!

Alex
    Wow, thanks for all your feedback and suggestions Alex. I'll try and find some time to apply what you have said to the pictures and re-upload them.

Thread Information