Thread: Can I replace PC's 5.1 system with AV amplifier & floor standing speakers?

Thanks

Question Can I replace PC's 5.1 system with AV amplifier & floor standing speakers?

Hi, I currently have a 5.1 speaker system connect to my PC's sound card via 3 sockets (front L&R, rear L&R, bass/centre).

I'm finding the bass is high, even when I've turned down the bass volume to zero on the bass box. With some music there's no problem, then some songs with heavy bass-lines come on and my neighbour comes over to complain.

So I'm thinking I'd like to replace the 5.1 speaker system with an AV amplifier and 4 floor-standing speakers. Well this is what the guy at Richer Sounds said I should do anyway.

Is this a good idea? Will I be able to completely shut off the bass this way? Will this still provide surround sound if there are only 4 speakers and no centre or bass connected? Or is there a better way to completely control the bass?

And can you recommend any equipment (amp/speakers). I want to spend max £500 in total but for this money I definitely want good floor-standing speakers with very clear sound and perfect bass removal/control. Because if I have to keep turning the volume up and down to control the bass then I may as well keep my current system..

Oh, and do AV amps have volume limiters?

I am a complete noob when it comes to hi-fi equipment, so please explain any advice in detail!

Thanks
    May

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Re: Can I replace PC's 5.1 system with AV amplifier & floor standing speakers?

floor standers largely eplace the need for a dedicated sub - you send your sub channel (the .1) to all the speakers. the center channel will be missed though.

connection might be an issue - most pc kit will only do analog surround (i.e. using the 3 sockets you mention), and connecting up via digital instead will only do surround on pre-encoded surround data (e.g. a dvd). an av receiver with analog multi-channel dvd in might be the solution - since that would essentially be 6 separate channels, so you could split your 3 plugs into the required 6 inputs

Thanks
    • iranu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene VI
      • CPU:
      • 4670K @4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Samsung Green
      • Storage:
      • 1x 256Gb Samsung 830 SSD 2x640gb HGST raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W Modular
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Silencio 352
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" DELL Ultrasharp U2312HM
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband

Re: Can I replace PC's 5.1 system with AV amplifier & floor standing speakers?

You should be able to control bass volume from your PC's sound card/software (and the bass subwoofer module) and this is where I'd look first . I'm surprised that when bass volume is set to zero on the sub that your neighbours have an issue. What PC hardware do you have and what is the 5.1 speaker system?

The guy from Richer Sounds is after your cash. Richer Sounds used to be a great firm in the early 90's when you more often than not found the small stores with enthusiastic people who had a bit of an audiophile background and were interested in getting you a good bang for buck set up. Now they are the same as Currys etc imho.

It is usually very hard to replace a dedicated sub with bass going through 4/5 individual speakers unless you are prepared to spend £££. I don't see the point in spending cash on alternative speakers to alleviate a bass volume problem.

I'd also say that Hexus is not the best place to post. I think you will have better luck at AVforums

More specifically in the PC/soundcard/speaker forum Sounds Cards, Mics, Headsets & Computer Speakers - AVForums
    "Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be." Frank Zappa. ----------- "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." Huang Po.----------- "A drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind", - Ride.

Thread Information