Thread: First Post, First few Pictures - Please C & C

Thanks

First Post, First few Pictures - Please C & C

Hello, Finally got around to buying a DSLR last January! Only manage to take a few pictures during the year. Thought I'd share a few pictures. They have been cropped, and had slight adjustments in Elements - but they are largely as shot. I'd be particularly interested in suggestions on what to try in Elements as well as tips for taking batter pictures in the first place. Thank you in anticipation.

Swanpool For Sure

Taken in the Spring, not sure if I should have found more foreground interest? I was pleased with the shot as this was one of my first seaside pictures that I'd attempted.

Thanks Renault

Taken at the Renault day held at Donnington. Another first, so happy with just getting the car in the shot!

Brummie Cat

Taken at West Midlands Safari Park, havily cropped, so I had no idea about the best composition regarding the trees, Lion etc The area isn't even remotely flat, think the tree trunk is vertical, but ...

Thanks for looking

IBM
    there but for the grace of God, go I IBM's Avatar
    Thanks
    • IBM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel E6600 Core2Duo 2.40GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400
      • Storage:
      • 150G WD SATA 10k RAPTOR, 500GB WD SATA Enterprise
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Leadtek NVIDIA GeForce PX8800GTS 640MB
      • PSU:
      • CORSAIR HX 620W MODULAR PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 Black Case
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WPF A04
      • Internet:
      • domestic zoom

Re: First Post, First few Pictures - Please C & C

Okay, here goes...

Pic 1. Not bad. Exposure is good, everything is level, nice distribution of background elements. Shutter's a wee bit too slow to stop the wave effectively, nor slow enough to give you a developed water blur. The angle of the surf is a nice counterpoint to the tiny bit of beach I can see, but would have been better is there had been more shingle in the shot. However, the picture is a bit bland. There's nothing of interest, no real feature, and no punch. Playing around with the contrast (or curves if you've got Photoshop) might bring things to life.

Pic 2. You got the car, and you stopped it dead. Which is admirable, especially with the little bit of background blur you managed to pull in giving the impression of speed. However the balance of the picture is all off, and looks seriously weighted to the car side, and pretty clumsy. Nice crop, but would have been better without whatever it is you managed to pick up from the foreground.

Pic 3. It's a zoo shot. I hate zoo shots. As soon as I see a good zoo shot I think 'no challenge, fish in barrel'. And unfortunately this isn't a good zoo shot. It's dull in colour and content, unbalanced, and the fence in the background ruins any atmosphere the subject might have contributed. Unless you've got a really long zoom, you should stay away from photos like this until your eye for composition is more experienced.

Overall, not bad (although you didn't say if you had any traditional photography experience before you took up digital). You've got a fair eye, which is the most important thing, and your pictures all have a good level, which is also very important. BTW, I'm a very harsh critic, so don't take me too seriously.
    sig removed by Zak33

3. Received thanks from:

Akwaaba (12-12-2007)

Thanks

Re: First Post, First few Pictures - Please C & C

Thanks ibm for your comments, they are interesting. With regard to experience as a photographer before taking up with the DSLR - I have no experience, none at all! other than the snapshot variety!

Thread Information