• PSU:
      • Tagan Modular 430W
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC 20WGX2
      • Internet:
      • BT Yahooseless

Re: Find me a home cinema?

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan_phang View Post
    That LG set seems to be nice, but I looked at the 'detailed' specs on that page and there doesnt seem to be any digital inputs....I would like to have digital inputs as I was going to run SPDIF from my shuttle to get full surround sound.
    I'll have a look at the LG soon, when I go over to the outlaws, and update you. I'm led to believe (by a few folk on AVForums) that it does have one digital input. So, even if you need more than one, you can get a switch, but these are under tenner.

I think there are different versions of that LG unit about though. As with other LG products, there's some that are made as exclusive/SMU for their big customers. I think that particular one is a "DSG special"
    Love the look of the Sony and after looking at the spec sheet, there are tons of inputs (2x HDMI in, 2 optical, coax, phono etc) so it has flexibility, but you pay for that...
    Indeed. I do think it'll be far superior to the LG, I just mentioned the LG as I hadn't been aware of it previously, and it's a cheaper alternative. As I said earlier though, there's updated ones out there, though not yet fully available. They have HD audio support, though I'd bet they're more expensive.

AVForums "all in one" section is always good for this sort of stuff

Thanks
    • jonathan_phang's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage III Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 930 @ 4.2 ghz (200x21)
      • Memory:
      • 12GB Corsair XMS3 1600
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M4 128GB SSD + Misc Data Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 Modular
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q (27" 2560x1440)
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100mb

Yeah, avf was where I've been reading up about the sony. Theres a thread that I am almost through that compares the sony in this thread to a similar model:

Sony : HT-SS1100 (HTSS1100) : United Kingdom

This is just one step down, but the only difference is that the HT-SS1100 has smaller speakers, not tallboys. The main AV revceiver is still the same, and both still have 1000W output total etc.

Its also available for about £200, which saves you about £60. It seems like another good option, and I guess more space saving. Still need to research a bit more, but might be useful for some.

JP

Atari Falcon 030
    Thanks
    • bigblue's system
      • Motherboard:
      • K8N
      • CPU:
      • X2 4200
      • Storage:
      • 250 Gb WDC
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 7900GT
      • PSU:
      • Tagan Modular 430W
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC 20WGX2
      • Internet:
      • BT Yahooseless

This is just one step down, but the only difference...
    Can I respectfully disagree a wee bit ? I wouldn't get too caught up in the stats. They can seem very similar on paper, but I imagine they'll have a whole different sonic performance. And don't expect anything near 1000w, not even half !
    Its also available for about £200, which saves you about £60. It seems like another good option, and I guess more space saving. Still need to research a bit more, but might be useful for some.
    Remember if you need stands that'll eat into the difference a bit And the large speakers do look good on their dedicated stands, I came very close to buying a set.

I'd wait for the 1200/1300 units though

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 12GB Corsair XMS3 1600
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 Modular
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100mb

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue View Post
    Can I respectfully disagree a wee bit ? I wouldn't get too caught up in the stats. They can seem very similar on paper, but I imagine they'll have a whole different sonic performance. And don't expect anything near 1000w, not even half !
    Thats what I thought - there must be some decrease in quality, but over in a massive thread over in avf (Just got through the 26 pages!) there seem to be a lot of happy customers with it. I guess its relative to whats expected. I'm not really a proper audiophile, just want a good system with flexible connectivity and also decent speakers. Not even that fussed about the sub tbh.

Fair point about the price really, but abother thing with me is that I'm not sure If could fit the floor standers in my lounge in a decent place (the fronts anyway), so i thought that the HTSS, with the smaller speaks could give me a few more options. But thats for another thread really...

I would wait for the 1200\1300 but only really to see if they drive the price of these 2 sets down - £200 is pushing what i would like to spend already... Any idea when they might be out in the UK?

@ s_kinton - I DO seem to be hijacking the thread a bit, if you want I can start another so not to really get in the way of getting the info you need (arent I nice?)
    Last edited by jonathan_phang; 03-04-2008 at 09:35 AM.

Thanks

@ s_kinton - I DO seem to be hijacking the thread a bit, if you want I can start another so not to really get in the way of getting the info you need (arent I nice?)
    No don't bother. I'm silently reading and researching too, so makes it better to keep it all together. Post away

Atari Falcon 030
    Thanks
    • bigblue's system
      • Motherboard:
      • K8N
      • CPU:
      • X2 4200
      • Storage:
      • 250 Gb WDC
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 7900GT
      • PSU:
      • Tagan Modular 430W
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC 20WGX2
      • Internet:
      • BT Yahooseless

Thats what I thought - there must be some decrease in quality, but over in a massive thread over in avf (Just got through the 26 pages!) there seem to be a lot of happy customers with it. I guess its relative to whats expected. I'm not really a proper audiophile, just want a good system with flexible connectivity and also decent speakers. Not even that fussed about the sub tbh.
    Fair do's, the smaller Sony set is certainly impressive on it's own, but at the current prices I just feel that the bigger one is better value. But each to their own and all that I don't get what you mean about the sub though, is it a different one that's supplied with each package ?
    I would wait for the 1200\1300 but only really to see if they drive the price of these 2 sets down - £200 is pushing what i would like to spend already... Any idea when they might be out in the UK?
    They're out already to an extent, but at the moment they only seem to be available as part of a package which includes the surround kit and a DVD recorder. Big difference is HD audio support, and it is a fairly big audible difference with full size speakers, but I'm not so sure it'll be that obvious with smaller kits.
    Last edited by bigblue; 03-04-2008 at 05:24 PM.

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 12GB Corsair XMS3 1600
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 Modular
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100mb

In regards to the sub, I didnt mean to imply that they are different, just that the sub, and its related output arent really the deal breaker. I know it will be good enough.

My main problem is the space that I have for the fronts. I have a rectangular room with the TV in the middle on one wall, but due to 2 units either side, there isnt room to put the floor standers in the front corners. There might be space next to the TV, but I wanted to have greater stereo separation. Initially, I only wanted floor standers (and they look oh so nice) but if the output will be decent, and I'm inclined to think they are, they might have better options for me.

If I get the small ones, one option was to have a little bracket and then place the front left and right in the TOP corner of that wall. However, are there any issues with having speakers that high, even if they are angled down a bit? Do they have to be at head level? If it makes a big difference in terms of audio then I might have to rethink.

For the rears, either set is fine. I could just have the large floor standers, mount them high, or just buy 2 cheapish stands for the rear. I really think that both sets seem to be great value for what they offer (especially if you arent a proper audiophile) and just want decent digital surround sound.

JP

Atari Falcon 030
    Thanks
    • bigblue's system
      • Motherboard:
      • K8N
      • CPU:
      • X2 4200
      • Storage:
      • 250 Gb WDC
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 7900GT
      • PSU:
      • Tagan Modular 430W
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC 20WGX2
      • Internet:
      • BT Yahooseless

In regards to the sub, I didnt mean to imply that they are different, just that the sub, and its related output arent really the deal breaker. I know it will be good enough.
    Ah right, gotcha. Be aware though, that in full size setups the sub only really performs sub-bass duties below the main speakers. In satellite systems of this type it does pretty much everything other than the high frequency stuff, including a lot of mid/mid-bass output.
    There might be space next to the TV, but I wanted to have greater stereo separation
    If you're concerned about stereo separation and imaging, be aware that you can easily put them too far apart, leading to a "hole" in the soundstage. Usual rule of thumb is that the speakes and your listening position should make an equilateral triangle. You can sit a bit further back than that, but the speakers shouldn't really be further apart than they are from you.
    If I get the small ones, one option was to have a little bracket and then place the front left and right in the TOP corner of that wall. However, are there any issues with having speakers that high, even if they are angled down a bit? Do they have to be at head level? If it makes a big difference in terms of audio then I might have to rethink.
    You'd maybe get away with having rears at a height, but not really fronts I'm afraid. It usually means a fairly imprecise soundstage. Even if they're pointed down, due to them outputting high frequencies, you'll be well aware of their position.

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 12GB Corsair XMS3 1600
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 Modular
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100mb

Okay then, thanks for the info. I have managed to move the book cases so that I have the 30cm diameter available either side of the TV for the standing speaker diatemeter (If I need them), so they might be too near the TV, but at least its possible.

Not sure if this question is for this thread or not, as it concerns the media PC that I will hook it up to. May re-ask in another sub-forum if this isnt the place.

Anyway, I use Vista Media Centre for all my DVDs and videos, and hopefully, will be able to output DTS/DD to the receiver that I'll eventually get. However, is DD/DTS an audio signal that will only be able to be changed in volume from the AV receiver?

I only ask because usie the MS media remote for controlling the media centre (content and volume) and it dawned on me that by outputting digitally, that the colume change might not work. It means using the receiver control to change volume, but i kind of wanted to leave the receiver at a certain volume, then just use the media centre remote to vary volume accordingly...

Any opinions on this...

A bit off thread that - but I have been researching and my head is full of lots of info (SPDIF, optical, DD, DTS, passthrough, TOSlink) and its all a bit confusing really...

In regards to the Sony units, was going to head to the Sony store today, but its snowing pretty heavy where I am, and its making me not want to move out of the comfort of my warm house Time to hit google to research

JP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information