There's been some debate on entry-level dSLRs here recently, and I thought I would add a mention for the Sony A350, the best price for which is currently at Play (watch out for discount voucher codes, experience08 was the last one but may have expired):

Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 14.2 Megapxiel Digital Camera (Body Only) - Play.com
Note that this is body-only - not getting the standard Sony kit lens is no loss, as you'll be wanting a better lens than that to make the most of that 14MP sensor.

There is an interesting review here:
Sony Alpha 350 - a Creative Review - Photoclubalpha

It's a slightly peculiar camera - it's body is no more than entry level, but it has an extraordinarily high resolution sensor which would appeal to almost all non-action oriented expert photographers. In terms of resolution, only the Canon 450D and Pentax K20D/Samsung GX20 can compete in the sub £1000 bracket, and both are more expensive. It also sports reliable metering and responsive AF, which is almost everything you could ask for.

Having played briefly with one myself, I have to saw I love the live-view for waist or knee-level shots (cradling the camera with arms held straight down gives a very stable platform), as well as over the head shooting, as you might use in crowds. The viewfinder is relatively small, but it has been discovered that this can be countered with a Pentax ME-53 magnifying eyepiece (which I must get for myself, I think it works on all the Sonys! Thanks Pentax!)

It's not a camera for everyone, but it holds an appeal for particular uses.