• Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 27" U2715H & Gigabyte M27Q
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe

Which drill?

Hey guys didnt know where to post this

Im looking to purchase a drill. I wont use it alot but i will need it to put up a tv wall mount on a hard wall. So it needs to do that well

So any reccomendations? Also amazon has free delivery and they have loads but im not sure which one is good!

Any info guys? Also dont really wanna spend that much considering i wont use it that much!

Neon
    Home Entertainment =Epson TW9400, Denon AVRX6300H, Panasonic DPUB450EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray and Monitor Audio Silver RX 7.0, Monitor Audio CT265IDC(x4) Dolby Atmos and XTZ 12.17 Sub - (Config 7.1.4)
    My System=Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz, 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme, MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO, Enermax Supernova G6 850W, Lian LI Lancool 3, 2x QHD 27in Monitors. Denon AVR1700H & Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Sound
    Home Server 2/HTPC - Ryzen 5 3600, Asus Strix B450, 16GB Ram, EVGA GT1030 SC, 2x 2TB Cruscial SSD, Corsair TX550, Plex Server & Nvidia Shield Pro 4K
    Diskstation/HTPC - Synology DS1821+ 16GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 45TB & Synology DS1821+ 8GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 14TB & Synology DS920+ 9TB
    Portable=Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Huawei M5 10" & HP Omen 15 laptop

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Which drill?

I had hudge problems drilling into my walls (aggregate brick) with a regular hammer drill, the thing was useless, it took about 4 hours to put up the TV in my room.

For the lounge TV (been 52" a fair bit more drilling needed) i bought a cheapish black and decker SDS hammer drill. This thing is the business, it cuts through the wall like butter. I got all 10 anchor bolts inserted in like 15 min. Really recomend it, bought it on a homebase 10% off day, when there was already 25% off on black n decker stuff, so it cost about £60 including googles, face mask (you really need one with SDS) and some bits.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • TheReaFireblade's system
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Duo T9300 @ 2.50GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Patriot Signature PC-5400 @ 667MHz
      • Storage:
      • 400GB (2x 200GB) in RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Dual 512MB Nvidia 8800GTX in SLi + PCI Ageia PhysX Card
      • PSU:
      • 230W
      • Case:
      • Dell INspiron XPS M1730 Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis
      • Monitor(s):
      • 17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) + 24" FP241WZ
      • Internet:
      • (Up to) 24Mb ADSL (Be Unlimited)

Wink Re: Which drill?

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post

I had hudge problems drilling into my walls (aggregate brick) with a regular hammer drill...
    What make/model was it, 'coz I've never had any problems with my (<&#163;100) variable speed Bosch hammer drill?

@ Neon: This Black And Decker KR703KF Hammer Drill Kit is a good deal @ just &#163;46.00 + delivery (the very same drill is &#163;61.62 on Amazon!)

Or there's this Bosch PBH 2000 RE SDS Hammer Drill for &#163;50 (+ &#163;5.95 delivery) on Amazon.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder

Thanks
    • floppybootstomp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • i7 Sandybridge Quad Core 3.4Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Corsair 128Gb SSD; 1Tb for games; 500Gb for data
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA Nvidia 1Gb GTX 560
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Modular 620W
      • Case:
      • Antech 900 Gamers Case
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Ben Q EW2730V 27"
      • Internet:
      • Zen as ISP; Linksys Wireless Router; 4 machine network

Choose Bosch and SDS and you won't go far wrong, I've been using them for years.

Currently using This one. It's very good indeed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheReaFireblade View Post
    What make/model was it, 'coz I've never had any problems with my (<£100) variable speed Bosch hammer drill?

@ Neon: This Black And Decker KR703KF Hammer Drill Kit is a good deal @ just £46.00 + delivery (the very same drill is £61.62 on Amazon!)

Or there's this Bosch PBH 2000 RE SDS Hammer Drill for £50 (+ £5.95 delivery) on Amazon.
    It was my dad's bosch cordless drill that i'd kinda borrowed. I believe it cost him some £120+, but that might of been his exaggeration to get it back.

Would seriously have to recomend SDS, its just such an amazing difference.

Also i'd probably recomend against a cordless hammer drill if your wall is the more modern (harder to drill) aggregate block, rather than red brick. Consider a cheap and lightweight (easyer to carry) battery drill thats reversible for screwing.

Don't feed the trolls... tiggerai's Avatar
    Thanks
    • tiggerai's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD PhenomII 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire X1950XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-R 550w
      • Case:
      • Antec lovely black thing
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x 20" widescreen
      • Internet:
      • Pipexpants

My dad (and I) can recommend the tesco version of their cordless hammer drill. It's not expensive and is built really well!

(yes, I own a power tool.. there are no ends to my talents!)

Thanks

You need a hammer drill of some sort or you'll be there all day drilling into a solid wall.

I got this from argos http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...WER+DRILLS.htm

It's been used to do quite a bit, rewired a house (including drilling out back boxes for all the sockets) gutting a kitchen, and hanging new radiators. Also destroyed a wall with it - intentionally , but it has shattered a few bricks unintentionally. But after about 6 months I got this stuck through a wall http://www.screwfix.com/prods/17627/...ill-12-x-400mm and damaged the drill trying to get the bit out of the wall -it still works just does seem to reach the very top speed any more and it's got a bit of a wobble on it, all my fault. But it's done everything I needed it to do.

I'd recommended this if you've got a couple of jobs to do, or are a bit more careful than me if you want to use it long term.

Get some goggles as a minimum, I'd also recommended a dust mask especially if you will be drilling into red bricks (nasty things)

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Modular 620W
      • Case:
      • Antech 900 Gamers Case
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Ben Q EW2730V 27"
      • Internet:

Quite funny to see all these non-professional recommendations, lol

I suppose they might be ok for one or two jobs a year.

But, I install sound systems for a living, not home systems, professional ones, and check out the drill I linked to. It's a cordless Bosch and it's three hundred quid. It is also quite superb.

Still cheap though, check out the price of a good Hilti

I reiterate -Bosch and SDS, you won't go wrong.

And by way of mentioning did you know De Walt tools are actually made by Black & Decker?

Everybody percieves Black & Decker as Amateur and De Walt as Pro - one and the same manufacturer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by manwithnoname View Post
    You need a hammer drill of some sort or you'll be there all day drilling into a solid wall.

I got this from argos http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...WER+DRILLS.htm
    I had borrowed one of their SDS drills, my wall broke it (yes i know how to use an SDS drill, it wasn't missuse).....

Quote Originally Posted by floppybootstomp View Post
    Quite funny to see all these non-professional recommendations, lol

I suppose they might be ok for one or two jobs a year.
    And by way of mentioning did you know De Walt tools are actually made by Black & Decker?

Everybody percieves Black & Decker as Amateur and De Walt as Pro - one and the same manufacturer.
    He said it won't get much use, so these cheaper brands are probably a good bet! De Walt and BnD i was always told the difference was in how you could strip them down and lube them? Casual use black & decker is fine, but if you're going at it day in day out the cut corners will come to haunt you.

I think the main point here is if SDS is required? I found it an amazing difference living in a flat with load bearing aggregate brick walls, but hadn't really needed it up until then.

blueball

A cheap SDS will do you well.

As to the B&D / de Walt discussion you will find a big difference in the quality of the compnents used in each (motor/gearbox etc)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    I had borrowed one of their SDS drills, my wall broke it (yes i know how to use an SDS drill, it wasn't missuse).....

He said it won't get much use, so these cheaper brands are probably a good bet! De Walt and BnD i was always told the difference was in how you could strip them down and lube them? Casual use black & decker is fine, but if you're going at it day in day out the cut corners will come to haunt you.

I think the main point here is if SDS is required? I found it an amazing difference living in a flat with load bearing aggregate brick walls, but hadn't really needed it up until then.
    I'm not sure SDS is required, it's the hammer action that's more important IMO.

Let me be clear I'm only recommending that cheap drill from argos because of the OP suggested it would not be used to do much else.

And if the OP is thinking about spending anywhere in the £300 region why not get someone to fit the TV wall mount it's bound to be cheaper.

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Supernova G6 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe

wow so many replies thanks for your help guys. i definetly wont be spending 300+. i would just get someone else to do it if that was the case

so would this black and D do the job fine ? http://www.mtmc.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=18249
    Home Entertainment =Epson TW9400, Denon AVRX6300H, Panasonic DPUB450EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray and Monitor Audio Silver RX 7.0, Monitor Audio CT265IDC(x4) Dolby Atmos and XTZ 12.17 Sub - (Config 7.1.4)
    My System=Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz, 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme, MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO, Enermax Supernova G6 850W, Lian LI Lancool 3, 2x QHD 27in Monitors. Denon AVR1700H & Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Sound
    Home Server 2/HTPC - Ryzen 5 3600, Asus Strix B450, 16GB Ram, EVGA GT1030 SC, 2x 2TB Cruscial SSD, Corsair TX550, Plex Server & Nvidia Shield Pro 4K
    Diskstation/HTPC - Synology DS1821+ 16GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 45TB & Synology DS1821+ 8GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 14TB & Synology DS920+ 9TB

blueball

Quote Originally Posted by neonplanet40 View Post
    wow so many replies thanks for your help guys. i definetly wont be spending 300+. i would just get someone else to do it if that was the case

so would this black and D do the job fine ? http://www.mtmc.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=18249
    In a word. Yes. It may take a few seconds longer than with an SDS drill but it WILL do the job you need to do.

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Supernova G6 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe

i could get the sds one but it doesnt come with any bits. so i wouldhae to buy them seperate. or does it come with bits and i misread?

blueball

Quote Originally Posted by neonplanet40 View Post
    i could get the sds one but it doesnt come with any bits. so i wouldhae to buy them seperate. or does it come with bits and i misread?
    Can't see any bits listed. The B&D will do what you need - even if the wall is very hard it will just take longer. What diameter of holes do you need to make?

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Modular 620W
      • Case:
      • Antech 900 Gamers Case
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Ben Q EW2730V 27"
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by blueball View Post
    A cheap SDS will do you well.

As to the B&D / de Walt discussion you will find a big difference in the quality of the compnents used in each (motor/gearbox etc)
    Aye, I suspected that tbh as I've used both.

I still found it amusing that B & D made the De Walt series though

As for the rest of the discussion, no, I'm not seriously suggesting spending &#163;300 on a tool that will be used infrequently, just trying to make the point that there's a lot of cheap sub-quality tools to be bought.

I know, I bought a cordless 18V drill from Wickes several years ago that isn't very good at all, was a complete waste of money. And what was surprising is it was actually made by Draper for Wickes, and I'd always thought Draper were good.

SDS is just a way of fitting the bit. As pointed out, the hammer or percussion action, and the build of the drill itself is more important.

And most SDS drills also come with a normal chuck to take non-sds drill bits as well, a point worth considering.

De Walt and Makita are also good as well as Bosch when it comes to non-professional drills.

Well, whatever you choose - good luck.

Thread Information