Thread: help me Pick out a new DVD player and Speakers

At one with the weasels
    Thanks

help me Pick out a new DVD player and Speakers

Looking for a set of 5.1 speakers with optical in and a digital decoder to go in my sitting room, have an AV box so only needs one input, ideally would like to spend under £150 but may go higher. A

lso a DVD player with digital out is needed, I was considering getting one capable of taking divx and xvid films and spending £50-100.

At the monet I have a freeview box with optical out, a PS2 and Gamecube as well which I'd like to all be able to run through the 5.1 speakers as well as the DVD player.
    [WARNING] May contain trace levels of sarcasm

[SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana]A[SIZE=2]mbition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy

Thanks
    hmm with £150 ur kinda limmiting ur options there, it seems u want everything for nothing but I dont think its gonna work like that. I think u might spend more. Cos I personally think a dvd+5.1 for £150 is gonna be quite naff sounding.

I ant recommend anything but...

meh. I'd just spend more money and get a really good stack system with quality speakers. It's a better investment. But Its up to you and ur budget.
    Signatures are stupid

At one with the weasels
    Thanks
    I am happy enough with a set of £150 speakers, I'm not a real audiophile and compared to the bog standard Hifi everything runs through atm it'll be a huge improvement. If you've got nothing useful to say then please don't bother I just need a few links to suitable products. Also I think you've misread what I'm after I'm after a dvd player for 50-100 and speakers around the 150 mark so all in all 200-250 for both products

[SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana]A[SIZE=2]mbition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy

slave of the hypnotoad
    Thanks
    i'm not quite sure i understand what you're wanting, you're wanting 5.1 active speakers with internal DD/DTS encoding and a dvd player? so what's this AV box you talk about and what does it do?

though i'm unsure what the function of this AV box is, for the price you are looking at i think prehaps you'll be better off with an all in one system. it's been around for a while now and it's missing out on a couple of features, such as DPL2, but at £200 you get a lot of decent kit for your money :- http://www.richersounds.com/index.ph...l.php&p=301182. there are plenty of other similar systems out there, possibly with some other better bargains out there, but i'm not sure if that's the kind of thing you're after.
    Last edited by fondie; 11-03-2004 at 07:57 PM.

At one with the weasels
    Thanks
    What I have is a box that lets me take 4 inputs from various sources and choose which to output. I does Scart, rgb, s-vhs, optical etc.

So I want a set of 5.1 speakers that lets me input an optical signal as I can switch the input between 4 different devices (Freeview, PS2, Gamecube and the DVD player I want to get)

Hence not wanting a DVD player package as they generally have the decoder built into the DVD player. I want the dvd player to be a totally seperate entity to the speakers not a symbiotic arrangement where you need both for them to work

Thanks
    For £150 - even a standard midi hifi you may not improve uppon apart from more speakers as your asking for alot for £150.

I'd suggest an all in one system, although look around and check it has an optical input, alot do.

I would recommend makes like Panasonic, Sony and Toshiba in that price range.

G4 PowerMac - Tiger 10.4 - 512MB RAM
    MacBook - 2Ghz - 1GB RAM - 120GB HDD

Rotel RC970BX | DBX DriveRack |2x Rotel RB850
    B&W DM640i | Velodyne 1512

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    What's this "Bog standard hifi" you're running it all through now? Spending £150 on speakers might not be an improvement. Lol.
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Thanks
    have a look here, might be of interest for 150 all in

http://skybuy.sky.com/addToBasket2.a...664,,,,,&qty=1

At one with the weasels
    Thanks
    Well I've altered my goals a little now http://www.richersounds.com/index.ph...l.php&p=301209
    decided this DVD player looks good value

Also I've decided after some talking with a mate to get a reciever for around the £100 and pick up some cheap 5.1s for teh time being. ALlowing me to upgrade them later on easily enough. Any recomendations on a reciever?
    Last edited by jcoquillon; 12-03-2004 at 12:17 AM.

Thanks
    I can reccomend that, still got one - had it set up with a pioneer av amp and the Tannoy FX5.1 speakers - (down to about 170ish now for the speakers) and it was a really good sound. Great DVD player for the money.

just noticed thats for the multi region - great deal.
    Last edited by kushtibari; 12-03-2004 at 12:55 AM.

Thanks
    £100 - you are really pushing it new, it'd have to be 2nd hand as recivers start around £150+

I can reccomend the Denon 1601, Ive heard good things about the cheapo Pioneer ones as well but never heard one myself.

G4 PowerMac - Tiger 10.4 - 512MB RAM
    MacBook - 2Ghz - 1GB RAM - 120GB HDD

Rotel RC970BX | DBX DriveRack |2x Rotel RB850
    B&W DM640i | Velodyne 1512

Spider pig, spider pig
    Thanks
    I love my pioneer AV, sounds really nice for the money. Hyperfi (www.hyperfi.co.uk) are great IF they ever have anything in stock, which they haven't whenever Ive wanted anything but worth a look anyway.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoquillon
    I am happy enough with a set of £150 speakers, I'm not a real audiophile and compared to the bog standard Hifi everything runs through atm it'll be a huge improvement. If you've got nothing useful to say then please don't bother I just need a few links to suitable products. Also I think you've misread what I'm after I'm after a dvd player for 50-100 and speakers around the 150 mark so all in all 200-250 for both products
    Im sorry for what I said, Im sorry for misreading.

Even tho nearly every other comment has one way or another said exactly what I said lol.
    Signatures are stupid

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ab1385
    I love my pioneer AV, sounds really nice for the money. Hyperfi (www.hyperfi.co.uk) are great IF they ever have anything in stock, which they haven't whenever Ive wanted anything but worth a look anyway.

Has anybody ever got anything from them. Whenever I ring up they always offer something else for more cash, never got what you're after in their ad.

Spider pig, spider pig
    Thanks
    I haven't, which is why I hesitated to post the link, but you just might get lucky with them...

Thread Information