• XP Pro sp2
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" crt random
      • Internet:
      • 8meg bt

surround sound

me and mrs just got an lcd tv

LG 42LG5000 42in 1080P Digital

was wondering how to get surround sound or better sound from it and if we get pack with a dvd player do you only get the better sounds from dvd's?

im a bit of a fool when it comes to av

tia

listy

Thanks
    • GheeTsar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 8GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung EVO 850 1 TB + 2 x 1TB Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS Radeon R9 280X
      • PSU:
      • Tagan TG600-U33 600W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer 24" 120Hz GD245HQ
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100mb

Re: surround sound

If you want true surround sound then you'll need a decoder with amplifier/speakers. These can be quite pricey, but are well worth it IMHO. You can also get "all in one" boxes that come with build in DVD player, amplifier and speakers and these are by far the most cost-effective way of doing things, but reliability can be an issue (just like a regular all in one sound system vs seperate hifi units).

Unless you've got an HD signal, you will only have 2 channels of sound from the TV broadcast itself. Sometimes these have ProLogic encoding which can roughly be translated into surround sound by the decoder, and you can force the two channels to come out of over however many speakers you have anyway. A DVD is typically has 5.1 channels of audio, but will need the decoder to output more than two of them.

3. Received thanks from:

listy (15-05-2009)

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

There may be sockets for adding speakers to the TV, although i would strongly suggest buying an AV receiver if you really want to spruce your sound up a bit.

Most freeview transmissions are in Dolby Prologic, so you will get 2 channel (+dialog speaker) sound, plus the rear channels would be matrixed from the front channels. This gives quite a decent surround-sound....although the jump to Dolby Digital 5.1 is (IMO) quite noticeable.

DD5.1 sources would be DVDs and any HD source (SkyHD, HD-DVD, BluRay etc).
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

5. Received thanks from:

listy (15-05-2009)

Thanks
    • listy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • gigabyte one :P
      • CPU:
      • 939 FX60
      • Memory:
      • 2gig DDR 400mhz ram
      • Storage:
      • 500ish gig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4870x2
      • PSU:
      • 700watt jeantech storm
      • Operating System:
      • XP Pro sp2
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" crt random
      • Internet:
      • 8meg bt

have sky-hd but not fitted up to that tv just now

and ps3 is in bedroom

Pseudo-Mad Scientist Whiternoise's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Whiternoise's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI LANPARTY JR P45-T2RS
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 5.6TB Total
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4780
      • PSU:
      • 425W Modu82+ Enermax
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08b
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 23" IPS
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbps Fibre Line

If you've got a 42 incher, don't skimp on your audio.

Take a look at whathifi's top list for amps:

http://whathifi.com/Reviews/Home-cinema-Reviews/

http://whathifi.com/Review/Onkyo-TX-SR505/ If you don't want to break the bank. Once you get into the audiophile and videophile world there is no going back. You can get basic models like that right up to £5k+. That said, in my opinion once you start paying more than the TV you should consider your priorities (and as you know, TV's can go WELL above £5k!). I don't know how much you spent on your screen, froogle says from 500-800 so assuming about £700?

http://www.onkyousa.com/images/produ...R550B_rear.jpg That is the back of a typical amp - as it happens, it's the ONKYO i posted - so a little bit into how it works. Essentially, everything that's not the TV or the Speakers goes OUT from the device and IN to the amp. The TV has Video going IN and audio going OUT to the amp. The Speakers will take the amp's audio out. The amplifier/reciever mediates between all your devices That ONKYO also comes with a radio antenna i believe so you can listen to AM/FM radio if you want. It's rated to 7.1 (one sub, front L,R, surround L,R, back L,R and a front centre) which is about as much as you can get (some people have weird 7.2 set ups but eh). £250 is an absolute bargain for an amp like that - and it also comes in black if you're so inclined (i am)!

The point of paying good money for your amp and speakers is that they will last you through all your TVs, whereas you might pay loads for a TV that you want to replace in 5 years.

Speaker wise, there are no end of 5.1 set ups - which is what you'll be looking for for basic surround sound. If that's pushing your budget (don't waste your money on a cheap set up, you'll only regret having to replace the mediocre sound later) then a decent 2.1 will be perfectly adequate for everything.

£500 will get you something in the region of: http://whathifi.com/Review/Q-Acoustics-1010i-51/ and of course you can go up from there. Cheaper option with excellent reviews is: http://whathifi.com/Review/Jamo-A102HCS5/.

Cable wise, don't be conned into buying expensive cables, numerous forums have shown that in a lot of cases it doesn't make jack all difference unless you're in a restaurant with neon lights everywhere. Cheap ones will be fine, but it will be the build quality rather than the cables not being up for it that will screw you over.
    Last edited by Whiternoise; 15-05-2009 at 11:55 PM.

8. Received thanks from:

Infinite (16-05-2009),listy (18-05-2009)

Thanks
    • listy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • gigabyte one :P
      • CPU:
      • 939 FX60
      • Memory:
      • 2gig DDR 400mhz ram
      • Storage:
      • 500ish gig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4870x2
      • PSU:
      • 700watt jeantech storm
      • Operating System:
      • XP Pro sp2
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" crt random
      • Internet:
      • 8meg bt

think most of these are beyond my budget tbh i dont watch tv enough to spend a load on it

was more thinking something like this http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...s|12108945.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Whiternoise View Post
    If you've got a 42 incher, don't skimp on your audio.

Take a look at whathifi's top list for amps:

http://whathifi.com/Reviews/Home-cinema-Reviews/

http://whathifi.com/Review/Onkyo-TX-SR505/ If you don't want to break the bank. Once you get into the audiophile and videophile world there is no going back. You can get basic models like that right up to £5k+. That said, in my opinion once you start paying more than the TV you should consider your priorities (and as you know, TV's can go WELL above £5k!). I don't know how much you spent on your screen, froogle says from 500-800 so assuming about £700?

http://www.onkyousa.com/images/produ...R550B_rear.jpg That is the back of a typical amp - as it happens, it's the ONKYO i posted - so a little bit into how it works. Essentially, everything that's not the TV or the Speakers goes OUT from the device and IN to the amp. The TV has Video going IN and audio going OUT to the amp. The Speakers will take the amp's audio out. The amplifier/reciever mediates between all your devices That ONKYO also comes with a radio antenna i believe so you can listen to AM/FM radio if you want. It's rated to 7.1 (one sub, front L,R, surround L,R, back L,R and a front centre) which is about as much as you can get (some people have weird 7.2 set ups but eh). £250 is an absolute bargain for an amp like that - and it also comes in black if you're so inclined (i am)!

The point of paying good money for your amp and speakers is that they will last you through all your TVs, whereas you might pay loads for a TV that you want to replace in 5 years.

Speaker wise, there are no end of 5.1 set ups - which is what you'll be looking for for basic surround sound. If that's pushing your budget (don't waste your money on a cheap set up, you'll only regret having to replace the mediocre sound later) then a decent 2.1 will be perfectly adequate for everything.

£500 will get you something in the region of: http://whathifi.com/Review/Q-Acoustics-1010i-51/ and of course you can go up from there. Cheaper option with excellent reviews is: http://whathifi.com/Review/Jamo-A102HCS5/.

Cable wise, don't be conned into buying expensive cables, numerous forums have shown that in a lot of cases it doesn't make jack all difference unless you're in a restaurant with neon lights everywhere. Cheap ones will be fine, but it will be the build quality rather than the cables not being up for it that will screw you over.

Spider pig, spider pig
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Whiternoise View Post
    IYou can get basic models like that right up to £5k+. That said, in my opinion once you start paying more than the TV you should consider your priorities (and as you know, TV's can go WELL above £5k!).
    My sound system cost 10x as much as my TV, though I listen to a lot of music through it and watch a lot of films and I really feel that it's worth it. In a strange way, I find a good sound system to be far more impressive than a good TV - and once you've heard one it's hard to go back.

There's nothing to stop you going into a hi-fi shop and saying that people have suggested you buy a decent surround sound kit, but you're not convinced it's worth it. Let them demo you some kit and see whether you think it's worth having a nice sound system for the money it would cost. If you don't think it's worth it then there's no obligation to buy anything.

11. Received thanks from:

listy (30-05-2009)

Thread Information