Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a new DVD player - is it worth going Blu-Ray?

Mike Fishcake

Need a new DVD player - is it worth going Blu-Ray?

After about a year of playing DVDs through a slightly noisy and few-years-old PC rigged up to my telly, we've decided that we need a new DVD player, but rather than buying a DVD player, is it worth going Blu-Ray?

I don't really know that much about BR to be honest (apart from the fact that the discs are more expensive than DVDs) is it worth buying something that only plays DVDs?

Been looking at this and this.

We've got a 720p 32" Sharp Aquos LCD TV.

Neither of us are particularly big film buffs or videophiles, but it would be nice to have something nice and shiny, if it's worth it.

Thanks
    • danroyle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • N/A
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core I7 4720HQ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 128GB SSD +1tb HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce Gtx960m
      • PSU:
      • N/A
      • Case:
      • N/A
      • Operating System:
      • WINDOWS 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15.6" IPS
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

Re: Need a new DVD player - is it worth going Blu-Ray?

i went for an upscaling dvd player as the quality on my 720p hdtv is improved over standard dvd.

Blu ray is good but not mind shatteringly good and when it comes to buying films having to pay double the cost of a dvd or even more hurts.

Before i get slated i know upscaling isn't quite as good as high def but the difference between it and my hd-dvd player (xbox 360) is marginal

a half decent upscaling dvd player will set you back about £50 (although i did hear dunno if its true but if you plug something into your hdtv via hdmi most hdtv will upscale anyway) if true a dvd player with hdmi would be the way to go

3. Received thanks from:

Thanks

A lot of it depends on your equipment. If you're going to be using a cheap HDTV, then while there is a noticeable difference between DVD upscaled and Blu-ray (You can't invent quality that isn't there by upscaling), the cost may not be worth it currently. You're also a lot less likely to see the full quality on cheaper sets that Blu-ray can offer.

Having been in that situation previously and now moved to a top end 40" 1080p 24hz Samsung (which hurt the bank balance ) from a cheap £350 "HDTV" The difference is *huge*. Now I know that's a bold phrase, but it the difference is not only noticeable, it makes a real difference to the films.

I recently got Heros on Blu-ray and swapping the DVD for Blu-ray when testing convinced me it was money well spent. The same goes for Stargate, I own both the DVD and Blu-ray and there is a markable difference between them.

So as you can probably guess, for me the difference between an upscaled DVD and Blu-ray is very noticeable, but only when on a screen that's capable of showing this. My previous one wasn't so even though I've owned a BR player for a while, buying the DVD if much cheaper didn't bother me. Now unless there was more than a £10 difference, I wouldn't by the DVD version when a BR one is available.

edit - The problem with your question is that image quality is subjective. What is ok for one person isn't for another. My mum bless her doesn't see the difference between a TV broadcast and blu-ray, my dad on the other hand is absolutely mesmerised by the new setup I brought them, to the point where he will *GO SHOPPING* (which I've not known him do in over 20 years) for Blu-rays.

edit 2 - you're still looking at about 50 quid for a no-cheapo good quality DVD player. When you factor that in against a new Blu-ray player it becomes a bit cheaper. Also check Ebay for Blu-rays, they instantly become a lot cheaper
    Last edited by Agent; 10-08-2009 at 07:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

5. Received thanks from:

Thanks

What agent said....

I've had Blu-ray & HD-DVD for a while now - over 2 years, I was a pretty early adopter - and have upgraded from a 50" 720p rear projection set to a 50" 1080p/24 plasma and the quality of some of the new Blu-rays coming out is startling.

You can pick up a decent player for around £150, and if you rent disk via Lovefilm or what have you, it won't cost you anything to rent Blu instead. But again, image quality is all subjective, and will depend on your equipment.

7. Received thanks from:

Thanks

I wouldn't get a BR player right now, and if I did I would make sure whichever one I did get could be upgradeable (firmware wise) IIRC only the PS3 is the current BR player that you can update. The others are stuck at whatever firmware revision number you buy them at.

But it has been a while since I looked at that subject in-depth, so facts could have changed, someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

9. Received thanks from:

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group DDR-3000 32Gig
      • Storage:
      • 1x Samsung 870 Evo 500Gb SSD, 1 x WD Red 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT watercooled
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

The Oppo blu/universal disc spinner is upgradable, bit pricey but can be made multi region and is very quick and apparently an outstanding machine in terms of av quality. If I was going to get a stand alone player, that would be the one for me.

11. Received thanks from:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Singh400 View Post
    I wouldn't get a BR player right now, and if I did I would make sure whichever one I did get could be upgradeable (firmware wise) IIRC only the PS3 is the current BR player that you can update. The others are stuck at whatever firmware revision number you buy them at.

But it has been a while since I looked at that subject in-depth, so facts could have changed, someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    PS3 certainly isn't the only one - plenty on the market now that can be upgraded

Samsung, Pioneer, Sony....probably others all have players on the market that can be upgraded now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    PS3 certainly isn't the only one - plenty on the market now that can be upgraded

Samsung, Pioneer, Sony....probably others all have players on the market that can be upgraded now.
    Ah right, cool. I see, back when I looked at it. PS3 was the only real option.

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

I thought Tesco were selling a blu-ray player for under £100 a few weeks back ?
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Thanks
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AORUS Master X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 Kingston Fury Renegade @ 3600MHz CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800 XT
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
      • Case:
      • bequiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64

I think I remember reading on HUKD that a few places had been selling some "Curtis" branded Blu-Ray players at some point, but I'd expect they've most likely all gone by now - prices were indeed under £100 though, I think the cheapest was £39.99 at Currys or something.

EDIT: £39.97 at Currys the deal was - you might be lucky and still find one, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have all gone. http://hotukdeals.com/item/455948/cu...ray-player-39-

Mike Fishcake

Some interesting opinions either way in here, I still haven't decided (but upscaling is edging forward slightly)

I believe it was a Sharp branded BR player Tesco were selling, but after checking reviews on it, it wasn't great, and it was only Profile 1.something, and I didn't want to buy already-obsolete tech. If I'm going for BR, it would need to be Profile 2 or above (unless I've completely misunderstood the concepts of profiles). I did consider the PS3, but the price difference doesn't really justify it unfortunately.

Thanks

It's not just pixels that are important remember, colour-depth, the type of compression used on the disk and how it was originally mastered matter a lot.

One of the most extreme examples is Stargate:

http://comparescreenshots.slicx.com/comparison/50#

Die Hard also does another good job at showing how remastering, more pixels, and better colour representation can help with the image:

http://horn.hdtvtotal.com/hdtvtotal/...bd5copymk0.jpg

Another less extreme example : http://horn.hdtvtotal.com/hdtvtotal/...bd1copykm8.jpg

Links from : http://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/foru...pic.php?t=4078

Mike Fishcake

I'm a bit confused by that - are you saying that it's still definitely worth getting Blu-Ray even though I won't be able to make the most of it on my current screen?

Mike Fishcake

Just to add to this, I've just got the Richer Sounds newsletter with this BR player in it:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/...0/sams-bdp1600

For £119.99

With 2 free Harry Potter movies (which i couldn't actually give a damn about TBH)

Thanks
    • dave87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus
      • CPU:
      • i5 3470k under Corsair H80 WC
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 240gb SSD + 120gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD7950
      • PSU:
      • XFX 600w Modular
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A05FNB + Acoustipack
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell S2309W (1920x1080)
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Option 2

Yup, that would be my suggestion Mike (just had the same email!).

Future proof as much as is possible, and a decent DVD player out of the end of it too

21. Received thanks from:

Mike Fishcake

I think I've found my birthday present

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information