Thread: News - Fight global warming with contraception says group

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Fight global warming with contraception says group

A group backed by David Attenborough says the most cost-effective way to combat climate change is using a condom.
    Read more.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Re: News - Fight global warming with contraception says group

Aye, Vatican City is going to *love* this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    • DeludedGuy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H87M-HD3
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4440
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte R9 270 OC 2GB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Pure Power L8 600w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell U2414H
      • Internet:
      • 75Mb BT Infinity

They are telling this to the wrong people, the european population is steadily dropping, and only being maintained by immigrants, while Africa's and south America's population is growing at an alarming pace.

Thanks

If only we could sideline those idiots who believe in their invisible sky fairy and actually have an intelligent debate on the issue.

The maths is really quite simple, in the last 50 years the population has doubled (or there abouts) in the next 20-30 years it is set to increase by as much again. How retarded do you have to be to think that isn't going to cause HUGE problems?

Its not about inflicting draconian measures (such as the Chinese have, not sure what the global figures would be if they hadn't), its about getting the message out that birth control isn't 'evil' it doesn't 'go against the will of the invisible (non-existent) sky fairy', its about giving people the information, access and support to make more informed decisions about becoming a parent and about doing something to help the planet.

Overclocking Since 1988 nightkhaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cordas View Post
    If only we could sideline those idiots who believe in their invisible sky fairy and actually have an intelligent debate on the issue.

The maths is really quite simple, in the last 50 years the population has doubled (or there abouts) in the next 20-30 years it is set to increase by as much again. How retarded do you have to be to think that isn't going to cause HUGE problems?

Its not about inflicting draconian measures (such as the Chinese have, not sure what the global figures would be if they hadn't), its about getting the message out that birth control isn't 'evil' it doesn't 'go against the will of the invisible (non-existent) sky fairy', its about giving people the information, access and support to make more informed decisions about becoming a parent and about doing something to help the planet.
    The majority of people contributing to the population boom have not had any experience with birth control, or don't have access to it. As DeludedGuy, the population in first world countries is actually receeding. So your point is not valid.

Getting technology such as birth control to developing countries is an issue. As is developing these countries to the point where that they can begin to cull emissions, as well as cuttting our own, is what is needed.

If this organsiation intends to provide education and free distribution of condoms and other birth control methods in developing countries, I'm all for the inciative.
    Desktop (Cy): Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 3.6GHz, Prolimatech Megahalems, Gigabyte X58-UD5, Patriot Viper DDR3 6GiB @ 1440MHz 7-7-7-20 2T, EVGA NVIDIA GTX 295 Co-Op, Asus Xonar D2X, Hauppauge WinTV Nova TD-500, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB in RAID 0, 4x Samsung EcoDrive 1.5TB F2s in RAID 5, Corsair HX 750W PSU, Coolermaster RC-1100 Cosmos Sport (Custom), 4x Noctua P12s, 6x Noctua S12Bs, Sony Optiarc DVD+/-RW, Windows 7 Professional Edition, Dell 2408WFP, Mirai 22" HDTV

MacBook Pro (Voyager): Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.6GHz, 4GiB DDR2 RAM, 200GB 7200RPM HDD, NVIDIA 8600GTM 512MB, SuperDrive, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, 15.4" Matte Display

HTPC (Delta-Flyer): Intel Core 2 Q8200 @ 2.33GHz, Zotec GeForce 9300-ITX, 2GiB of DDR2 Corsair XMS2 RAM, KWorld PE355-2T, Samsung EcoDrive F2 1.5TB, In-Win BP655, Noctua NF-R8, LiteOn BluRay ROM Drive, Windows 7 Home Premium, 42" Sony 1080p Television

i7 (Bloomfield) Overclocking Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Spock
    I am not our father.

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Quote Originally Posted by nightkhaos View Post
    The majority of people contributing to the population boom have not had any experience with birth control, or don't have access to it. As DeludedGuy, the population in first world countries is actually receeding. So your point is not valid.

Getting technology such as birth control to developing countries is an issue. As is developing these countries to the point where that they can begin to cull emissions, as well as cuttting our own, is what is needed.

If this organsiation intends to provide education and free distribution of condoms and other birth control methods in developing countries, I'm all for the inciative.
    Actually, I think he does have a point - you might of missed it though. Remember that banks - oh sorry I mean reglions - like the catholic church actively preach against contraception in Africa. In fact, I view them as a huge problem not only for birth control but the prevention of AIDs etc. What they're doing is utterly reprehensible in my eyes..
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

7. Received thanks from:

pollaxe (04-12-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dangel View Post
    Actually, I think he does have a point - you might of missed it though. Remember that banks - oh sorry I mean reglions - like the catholic church actively preach against contraception in Africa. In fact, I view them as a huge problem not only for birth control but the prevention of AIDs etc. What they're doing is utterly reprehensible in my eyes..
    What active measures have they taken to prevent contricention in Africa? I mean, is there any action, cause I understood they are just all talk. They also seem to be hypocritical, disallow contricenption in third world countries but ignore it in first world countries?

I believe they seem to take it "sweep it under the rug" apporch with action. That or, in their infinate wisdom, they believe that allowing Africa to continue to propergate and spread the AIDs virius the "problem will solve itself." Either way, I just tend to ignore them completely.

However, if they are actively preventing the use of contriception in developing countries, then I can ignore them no longer.
    Desktop (Cy): Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 3.6GHz, Prolimatech Megahalems, Gigabyte X58-UD5, Patriot Viper DDR3 6GiB @ 1440MHz 7-7-7-20 2T, EVGA NVIDIA GTX 295 Co-Op, Asus Xonar D2X, Hauppauge WinTV Nova TD-500, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB in RAID 0, 4x Samsung EcoDrive 1.5TB F2s in RAID 5, Corsair HX 750W PSU, Coolermaster RC-1100 Cosmos Sport (Custom), 4x Noctua P12s, 6x Noctua S12Bs, Sony Optiarc DVD+/-RW, Windows 7 Professional Edition, Dell 2408WFP, Mirai 22" HDTV

MacBook Pro (Voyager): Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.6GHz, 4GiB DDR2 RAM, 200GB 7200RPM HDD, NVIDIA 8600GTM 512MB, SuperDrive, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, 15.4" Matte Display

HTPC (Delta-Flyer): Intel Core 2 Q8200 @ 2.33GHz, Zotec GeForce 9300-ITX, 2GiB of DDR2 Corsair XMS2 RAM, KWorld PE355-2T, Samsung EcoDrive F2 1.5TB, In-Win BP655, Noctua NF-R8, LiteOn BluRay ROM Drive, Windows 7 Home Premium, 42" Sony 1080p Television

I am not our father.

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Quote Originally Posted by nightkhaos View Post
    What active measures have they taken to prevent contricention in Africa? I mean, is there any action, cause I understood they are just all talk. They also seem to be hypocritical, disallow contricenption in third world countries but ignore it in first world countries?
    It's all a question of education - that catholics know they can't get away with it in the educated west but in Africa people really do adhere to what people preach not knowing any better. Talk, sadly, can be very deadly indeed - and it baffles me as to why or even how any orgranisation let alone a religion can do something like that. Sad really. Just remember, not everybody can 'just google it'.
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dangel View Post
    It's all a question of education - that catholics know they can't get away with it in the educated west but in Africa people really do adhere to what people preach not knowing any better. Talk, sadly, can be very deadly indeed - and it baffles me as to why or even how any orgranisation let alone a religion can do something like that. Sad really. Just remember, not everybody can 'just google it'.
    Yes, that is a point. Religion does have a way of spreading misinformation. I was thinking that they missionaries would likely be an isolated case, and then I remember that in tribe like societies, and closed societies, the children usually listen to the elders. If the elders are taught something, then it will spread, like a virus.

I guess I was under the false impression that all humans have an inate desire to ask "why?" but I seem to forget, if you speed all your day surviving, you don't have time to ask questions.

Yes, you're right, it is sad. But what is more annoying in my opionion is members of the developed countries, whom should have the capacity to think for themselves, are also lead to believe misinformation.

I am not our father.

Thanks

As Dangel said, religions hold huge power over many people in the developing world (not just Africa), they are hugely important to the debate globally. When they preach to those who believe them that their sky fairy (its not just the catholic church that is anti-contraception) thinks that contraception is evil and that those who use it will go to hell they affect the thinking and practices of billions of people on this planet.

Its also not just 3rd world countries that have problems with this... The US has a huge problem because of the 'abstinence only sexual education' and anti abortion movement programs that have been promoted under the previous administration and by the leading figures on the right (both religious and political) which has caused a huge upswing in the numbers of unwanted pregnancies and births.

In reality we can't have any meaningful debate on this issue until the god botherers pull their collective heads out out of the sand (or their rapture embracing insanity) and drop their ignorant stance that birth control (and abortion) is somehow immoral.

12. Received thanks from:

greenalien (07-12-2009)

Thanks

In reality we can't have any meaningful debate on this issue until the god botherers pull their collective heads out out of the sand (or their rapture embracing insanity) and drop their ignorant stance that birth control (and abortion) is somehow immoral.
    Seconded. The unrestrained growth of the human population is the major issue, until that is sorted out, all the other eco solutions are a waste of time. China has the right policy, one child per couple, a policy that needs to be adopted globally until the population level falls below 4 billion. And no, this is not about choice, or fascism - this is about survival.

14. Received thanks from:

[GSV]Trig (07-12-2009)

Thread Information