Thread: e book readers?? Frozen Screen

zig
    Thanks

e book readers?? Frozen Screen

I've owned a kindle and a Nook and both devices after about 6 months have developed "frozen screen" Amazon replaced the Kindle 3 times but then refused as replaced products only come with a 3 mth guarantee and I'm about to return the Nook to PC world.
    Is anyone having the same issues with these devices? any recommendations for other products or should I stick with an actual book?

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

Re: e book readers?? Frozen Screen

On my second Kobo (only replaced first one as the second one is better) Never had these issues.

Kobo Aura HD is fantastic - love it.

Thanks
    • Dooms's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 2080 Super
      • PSU:
      • 750W Corsair Pro
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 6.1
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UC88 34-Inch 21:9
      • Internet:
      • 1GB Telenor

Been using kindles for 3.5 years and on my 4th. None of them have had the frozen screen issue - all mine have been knee/elbow/arse to screen issues.

My mate had the same issue as you recently on his paperwhite so I know it happens but was replaced.

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

zig - Not sure if they legally can only give a 3 month guarantee on replaced products. Sounds fishy to me but don't know the full legal position. Is it still inside the original (12 month?) warranty period.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    zig - Not sure if they legally can only give a 3 month guarantee on replaced products. Sounds fishy to me but don't know the full legal position. Is it still inside the original (12 month?) warranty period.
    That was my immediate reaction .... assuming the OP was the one that bought the Kindle, from Amazon.

I bought mine (two, a keyboard, and later, Touch) from John Lewis, so my recourse would, at least initially, to JL. Neither, by the way, has had this screen freeze problem.

But, back to the "3 months" my first point would be that products bought by consumers (so assuming the OP isn't a business buyer) are required to last for a "reasonable period" against defects "inhererent at time of purchase.

So, wasabi, I'd say you're right .... up to a point.

However, note that "defects ingerent at time of purchase" bit. That excludes, for instance, any form of accidental damage, or product mishandling or "abuse".

Moreover, for any product over 6 months old, from date of purchase, the buyer has to PROVE the defect was "inherent", or the presumption under law us that it was not. That very likely requires the OP to pay an independent expert for a report ascertaining why the device failed. Which may well cost more than a new Kindle. Of course, if that report shows the cause was inherent, then Amazon should reimburse the cost of the report as well, as that is very likely what a Small Claims Court would award.

All this assumes, of course, UK laws, which if the OP isn't in the UK won't be the case.

Oh, and if zig decides to pysh this, don't just get this report. Look up the coyrt requirements FIRST, and make sure you give Amazon (or whomever) a chance to xeal with it first, warn them you intend to get an independent report first, do it in writing, and send it recorded delivery.

I assume you've tried the obvious, like removing from any protective cases, giving the battery a good charge, and trying hardware reset procedures, usually for Kindle, holding the "power" button down (or over, for a slider) for 20 seconds, or more. If not, try it first.

WARNING - a hardware reset will lose ALL content stored on the device, and all personal and registration details, etc. You should be able to re-download, etc, but it'll be wiped from the device.

Thread Information