Thread: Component video to scart?

Spider pig, spider pig
    Thanks

Component video to scart?

Can you do this? I found this:

https://sslrelay.com/s75376715.onean...dex.shopscript

But I wasn't sure if it was only scart out...

I have a DVD player with component video out, and a component video cable that reaches the TV, but no component inputs. Any suggestions as to how to connect this up, rather than buy a composite cable or something? (the TV is about 8m away from the DVD)

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    Edit: Scratch that. I guess you can. Lol.

Anyway if you do get a Component to SCART lead you won't notice any quality improvement, so there isn't much point.

Surely your TV has a SCART input and your DVD a SCART output?
    Last edited by Howard; 06-06-2004 at 07:42 PM.
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Thanks
    Can't see the product, it seems the session timed out. Anyway, there's no point at all going from component to scart for picture quality reasons, scart sockets are only wired for RGB and/or S-Video. Any adaptor to convert component to scart probably just downmixes the signal to S-Video.

Rich :¬)

Happy Now?
    Thanks
    I distinctly remember SCART has RGB connectors within the 20 or so pins, you wont get sound (obviously) like a SCART to SCART cable would give you, but youd still keep the quality. I know maplins do a S video and Audio to SCART adapter, but im not sure about component. You could wire one up yourself if you got a SCART pin ID somewhere.

Sorry, ranting on there - im pretty sure it would work: RBG to SCART.
    I dont like sig pics so i turn off sigs Which doesnt help when i dont know what ive written here! DOH!

Thanks
    RGB and Component are entirely different formats. Component is essentially a hopped up form of S-Video. Scart can indeed be wired for RGB, but there's no standard for component into scart.

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    Technically component is RGB but it's in funny formats like luminance, chrominance and other random things. Things a SCART lead does not carry signals of.
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard
    Technically component is RGB but it's in funny formats like luminance, chrominance and other random things. Things a SCART lead does not carry signals of.
    No, technically it's not RGB at all. RGB is just that- seperate signals for Red, Green, Blue (and Sync), so the TV can pretty much feed it straight to the guns without any decoding. Component on the other hand has one black and white connection (luminance) and two colour connections. The colour connections carry two of the colours and the third is encoded using a difference system (a similar idea to how the pro-logic rear speaker signal is encoded).

If you're using a CRT TV then you might as well use RGB if the TV doesn't have component inputs, there's no reason why the decoder in the DVD player won't be as good as the one your telly. For displays that use a digital system (like plasmas, LCDs, DLP or LCD projectors etc.) then component makes more sense; MPEG2 actually encodes the video using a component system, so if you use a component connection theoretically the picture signal goes through less conversion stages. In that case though, the best solution is simply to use a digital connection, which is why Pioneer have introduced one for their new range of DVD players and Plasma TVs.

Happy Now?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard
    Ahhhh now i get it. Sorry i just saw component RGB and thought it was just the components that make up the red green and blue, i completely forgot about lumi, chromi etc
    I dont like sig pics so i turn off sigs Which doesnt help when i dont know what ive written here! DOH!

Thanks
    Would it make sense to do this (component into scart) if your dvd player only supported pro scan over component (dunno if they all do ) and there wasn't any component inputs on your telly? Cus i've just brough a (albeit cheapish) dvd player based on the fact it had pro scan at a decent price and now i can't use it (pro scan). Or are you saying it's just not possible (sorry i'm new to all this).

:EDIT:
    Would this do the job http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PGV373.html?
    Last edited by Fidley; 17-01-2006 at 04:57 AM.

HEXUS believes no one person has a monopoly on ideas, and that your opinion matters.

Spider pig, spider pig
    Thanks
    Not unless your TV supports prgressive scan and component input on one of the SCART sockets, I'm afraid. Your best bet is an RGB SCART cable, and to connect it normally.

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    prog scan isnt *that* much better than normal. additionally, if your tv doesnt have component inputs, it almost certainly wont support progressive scan itself
    hughlunnon@yahoo.com | I have sigs turned off..

Thread Information