• Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Compact Disc Digital Audio

Seems to be disappearing fast doesn't it?

Cos for one reason or another, it seems that what we are all buying in the shops are not Compact Discs....least not in the way that Philips inteded them to be Compact Discs when they set the Red Book Standard for this form of audio.

So, when you get your brand new shiny disk from a major high street shop, get it home and put it into your CD player, if it DOESNT PLAY on some machines but does on others, it might just be a case of the BIG MUSIC boys playing silly arses with a perfectly good format.

Lets talk LEGAL here guys.....LEGAL ONLY.

How do you feel about buying a CD that might not play in your car, or your walkman.....and only plays in your PC BECAUSE it has an encoded and COMPRESSED version of your music so that Media Player recognises it?

I'm not taking the mickey here. I'm not scare mongering. I want you to go look at a few OLD CD's and look for that lovely Compact Disk Digital Audio logo...the one we all know and love...and then look at a few NEW CD's , recent ones...and tell me if you can see the logo anywhere.

Cos most of my recent purchases dont have it.

Thats cos Philips wont let them use it. Becuase its not been made to their standards. Yes it plays music.

But what if you SCRATCH it?

On a Compact Disc Digital Audio cd their is a generous amount of (looks for correct wording and fails) Error Correction data on that disk too....

But the new ones....they dont have so much..if any. But they DO have a load of GARBAGE to try to stop you copying it with your burner.

And cos your PC wouldnt recognise it AS a music CD, maybe it has a WMA file for each track too.....

ie COMRESSED INFERIOR SOUND!

To say that today has saddened me is an understatement. But its true.

I'm gutted. I feel un-fairly robbed. I know the record companies feel robbed too...Piracy is RIFE....and BAD. But if you buy a CD and it wont play on some of your machines BECAUSE the anti piracy stuff made to use it STOPS you using it.....you're snookered.

And yes..I know....you can then put it in your PC, rip it to Media Player, and then use Media Player to burn it back to a CD, in a Red Book format, that WILL play on your other units..

BUT ITS COMPRESSED and then Un compressed....

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    piracy of games & music is so bad, both the record & music industries have reported higher & higher sales than the years before.

of course, they're great with statistics, so they lie about how much damage they're taking.

remember, of the twelve quid you spend on your cd, only about 40p goes to the artists - and they have to pay back the record industry for all recording costs from that

Happy Now?
    Thanks
    All of my disks ive bought today are of the correct digital audio standard. I wont buy a CD unless it plays in everything. If it doesnt, i strip the tracks out (im not talking compressed CDs here, just protected) and stick the waves on CDR.

Id never, ever buy a compressed CD if i can help it - theyve lost a sale as far as im concerned.
    I dont like sig pics so i turn off sigs Which doesnt help when i dont know what ive written here! DOH!

Thanks
    I've not had any problems yet, except with my nackered CD player that can't read anything anyway.

If (or rather when) I do get problems, I am going to take the CD back. My parents have complained about some of their CD's not playing in our player deck that's some 12 years old. It's a nice piece of kit, so I'm going to clean the laser and hope for the best.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    http://www.ukcdr.org/issues/cd/ for some basic info, http://www.ukcdr.org/issues/cd/bad/ for a simple list of known corrupted discs - plus all releases from BMG or EMI labels in the past year, 2 years.

assume any recent releases under the following labels to be corrupted:

BMG Entertainment, Anxious, Ariola, BMG Ariola, Arista UK, Arist, Arista, Arista Records, BistrRecords, Disco, Filth, Music Man, Rowdy Records, Tresor, Tripoli Trax, Urgent, Arista USA, Arista Latin, Arista Nashville, La Face, Melisma, Profile, Time Bomb, Artist Direct, Artist Direct Bmg, Beyond Records, Beyond Music, Bluebird, BMG, BMG Classics, Arte Nova, Deutsche Harmonia Mundi, Melodiya, RCA Red Seal, RCA Victor, Wicklow, BMG Heritage, Bmg Int'l, Bmg Licensed Product, BMG Special Prod., BMG U.S. Latin, BMG Victor, Conifer, Deconstruction, DGC, Full Works, Funhouse, ImagRecords, J Records, J, J-Records, Melo, Neon, One tOne, Provident Music, Benson, Brentwood, Brentwood Kids Company, B-Rite, Cedarmont Kids, Creative Trust, Cross Movement, Diadem Music Group, Essential, Fervent Records, Gospocentric, Here THim Music, I.E. Music, Maranatha, New Haven, One Voice--Provident--, Praise Hymn, Provident, Provident Music Distribution, Reunion, Rocketown Records, Spirit-Led Records, RCA, Delirious, Giant, House of Blues, Loud, Parousia, Rca Intl, Revolution, RLG, RCA Nashville, Telarc, Telstar, Telstar Re, Telstar Records, Telstar TV, Zomba, Jive, Music for Nations, Silvertone, Verity, Zomba Records, EMI, Additive, Angel Records, Angel, Apple, Astralwerks, Autonomy, Back Porch, Blue Note Records, Blue Note, Capitol, Capitol Records, Capitol Nashville, Caroline, Charisma, Chordant, Chord, Chrysalis, Chrys, Chrysalis Music Group, Heavenly 100, City Slang, Classics for Pleasure, Classics for Pleasur, EMI Classics for Pleasure, Cooltempo, Coolt, Cyber Octave, Discipline, Discipline Us, Disky, Disky Records, Duck Down Music, Duck Down Records, Earthbeat, Electrola, EMI Classics, EMI Gold, EMI G, EMI Gospel Music, EMI International, EMI Int'l, EMI Latin, Emi Odeon, Emi Plus, EMI Records, Emi Records [All429], Emi Special Markets, Emi-Capitol Sp. Mkt., Emi-Capitol Special Products, Encore, Flex, Forefront, Gramophone, Grand Royal, Grand Royal Records, Harvest, Headstrong Music, Hemisphere, HMV, Hostile, Hut, Intercord, IRS, Java, Java Records, Labels, Liberty UK, Liberty, Liberty United Artists, Major Minor, Manhattan, Medley, MetrBlue, Mosaic, Music for Pleasure, Mute, 13th Hour, Blast First, Future Groove, Mute (UK), Mute England, Mute U.S., Mute UK, Nova Mute, Trophy Mute, Narada, Obscure, Odeon, Odeon Records, One Up, Originals, Originals (Nld), Parlophone, Capitol Jazz, Credence, Food, Pacific Jazz, Parlo, Regal, Roulette Jazz, Playland Records, PMI, Positiva, Priority, Priority Records, RAK, Regal Zonophone, Roulette, SBK, S-Curve, S-Curve Records, Shak Tire, Shakti, Sparrow, Sixsteps Records, Sparrow Records, Star Line, StudiTwo, Talisman, Top Rank, Toshiba EMI, Total Vegas, United Artists, Virgin Classics, Virgin Records America, Higher Octave, Immortal, Luaka Bop, Rap-A-Lot, Virgin Latino, Virgin Nashville, Virgin Records Urban, Virgin Records UK, (Deleted) Virgin, Circa, EG, Elevator, Kuff, Melankolic, Point Blank, Real World, Scamp, Science, Source, VC Recordings, Venture, Veritas, Vernon Yard, Virgi, Virgin, Virgin Emi, Virgin Gold, Virgin Records, Virgin UK, Virgin Underground, Waverley, Yes Music, Zonophone

Thanks
    Good to see my favorite artist isn't on any of those labels (Mushroom Records ).

Personally - if something is truly bad then there will be a great enough number of people not buying it which will change how its produced. I'm not a fan of compression although a CD is compressed from the Master, its just by how much. I do like good quality - and thats why releases I especially like I'll buy on DVDA (if possible). To be honest as long as the quality is acceptable then I just live with it and get on with actually listening to the music (downloaded, bought, burned or whatever).

G4 PowerMac - Tiger 10.4 - 512MB RAM
    MacBook - 2Ghz - 1GB RAM - 120GB HDD

Rotel RC970BX | DBX DriveRack |2x Rotel RB850
    B&W DM640i | Velodyne 1512

Thanks
    • Dorza's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Deluxe - WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.06Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Crucial
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung SpinPoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce 9600GT
      • PSU:
      • Cosair HX520W
      • Case:
      • LianLi something something or other
      • Monitor(s):
      • Eizo FlexScan S1910 (1280*1024)
      • Internet:
      • 2mb Virgin (when they want to give me that: else 1mb)
    Personally i havent had a problem with this yet, simply because i use an mp3 player. After their put on there i never c the CDs again (providing i dont loose the music on the mp3 player). However i would be very annoyed if i couldnt play a CD in a device which is labled "HI FI". Whats the point in having a HI-FI or CD player if what your buying to put in them doesnt work. Its like saying your allowed to buy a car but you cant use it unless it's a particular make of car. Its stupid at the end of the day, and it all comes down to money. If they lowered their prices more people would probably buy CDs again, but the industry cant see this since it revolves around money. I dont know about other music but i know alot of trance CDs are 18, 20, 22 quid and up! Thats just plain rediculous just for some plastic and a cardboard case and most of the time the tunes on them are just remixes of what you already have, so i can c y ppl download illegaly when things are over priced. To add to this i dont think they will ever stop people downloading music/games/films completely, technology is moveing forward too fast and there will always be some one out there to crack their copy protection systems imo.
    Last edited by Dorza; 07-07-2004 at 11:50 PM.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    Quote Originally Posted by unrealrocks
    Good to see my favorite artist isn't on any of those labels (Mushroom Records ).
    it's not comprehensive in the slightest.

mushroom records uk are no longer part of mushroom records anyway, they're part of aol time warner (just as virgin records has nothing to do with the virgin group anymore, their label is v2)

warner _DO_ encrypt their cds, see Zero 7's latest release.

so, by the look of it, future titles by Muse, Garbage, or Kylie Minogue under the Mushroom label will be corrupted.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks
    If I buy a CD and it doesn't play on any device i want to play it on, it goes back.

This stuff is NOT going to stop the pirates, for the simple reason that it is so easy to get round, albeit at a small loss of quality. Personally, if I can't buy CD's that work properly, I'll simply stop buying CD's. To be honest, this is punishing the honest buyer in a futile attempt to stop the dishonest, and it REALLY annoys me that the music industry can show such contempt for their customers. Frankly, if the record companies go out of business because of this, I'll be applauding it.

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    The masses simply don't know enough about this to make a difference, if this were on the front page of the sun (albeit with smaller words and more pictures ) there'd be an uproar. But not enough people know about this to make a difference to the way record companies are operating.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen
    if I can't buy CD's that work properly, I'll simply stop buying CD's.
    see any references to specific titles i've made, you can assume i _WAS_ going to buy them.

i no longer buy "cds", so in a sense the industry's copy-protection is working - i'm not copying any copy-protected discs, as i'm not buying them in the first place! job done!

i await the industry's new copy-protection mechanisms to prevent "tape", "vinyl" or "radio" from being useable by regular people

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    I'm really quite pleased that so many of the Hexite's know of this...because I didn't fully understand the situ until yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    Well you do know it's technically illegal to buy or sell black marker pens in the US now... (apparently you can bypass certain forms of protection with them - not that I could tell you how - cause thats illegal too).

"Fair use" seems to have gone out the window now - no goverment wants to raise a finger to protect the rights of their individuals at all.

Yet with all this "rampant piracy" thats costing the record companies "hundreds of billions of dollars" - CD sales actually went up in Europe last year...
    Now go away before I taunt you a second time.

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    I'm not gonna write a huge paragraph, but I think it's pathetic. CDs are frigging expensive enough anyway... And that's one of the main reasons people pirate music...Cos of the cost... And as said, about 50p of it goes to the artists. Why make it even lesser value for money by restricting the quality, and what they can be played on??

It makes me angry.
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rythmic
    Well you do know it's technically illegal to buy or sell black marker pens in the US now... (apparently you can bypass certain forms of protection with them - not that I could tell you how - cause thats illegal too).
    If you're talking about the effect of the DMCA, which makes certain methods of bypassing copy protection illegal (except under limited circumstances), then I think you've been reading too many scare stories. The act says that devices "primarily designed or produced for the purpose" of bypassing copy protection are illegal. Black marker pens might be able to be used for that purpose, but clearly aren't primarily designed or produced with that in mind.

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard
    I'm not gonna write a huge paragraph, but I think it's pathetic. CDs are frigging expensive enough anyway... And that's one of the main reasons people pirate music...Cos of the cost... And as said, about 50p of it goes to the artists. Why make it even lesser value for money by restricting the quality, and what they can be played on??

It makes me angry.
    I won't buy a cd if its more than £9/£10, Tis a rule i havn't broken for a long time now and one i ain't gonna break in the future. Over the past few months i've bought 10/12 cd's and not one of them has been more than £8, infact most of the ones I've bought this month have been around a fiver and they're not exactly "greatest hits of abba gold" or somethin, got incubus morning view in hmv the other day for £6.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information