Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Searching for HDMI cable for my PS3

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Searching for HDMI cable for my PS3

Just my 2 pence worth.

One thing to note is that a digital TV signal has no error correction and so it is not the case that 'it either works or does not work'. If a cable does not have good shielding interference can change 0's to 1's or vice versa and so affect the audio or video signal.

Having said that, for short runs this is much less of a problem and I would be very surprised if there were any noticeable difference in expensive vs cheaper cables.

For a very reasonably priced HDMI cable I would thoroughly recommend a cable from 'That Cable'. I have had one for a few years now, and it's well made and I've had no problems with it (they do a v1.3 and a v1.4 compatible cable):
    http://www.thatcable.com

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Quote Originally Posted by sweatherly View Post
    One thing to note is that a digital TV signal has no error correction and so it is not the case that 'it either works or does not work'. If a cable does not have good shielding interference can change 0's to 1's or vice versa and so affect the audio or video signal.
    Wrong. HDMI does have error correction, just like DVI before it.

I could go into details, but why re-write it just for here?

Wikipedia - HDMI:Communication_channel_protocols

Then you have a bunch of linked pages giving even more details.

Wikipedia - Transition Minimized Differential Signaling

Wikipedia - BCH code

Anyway, if cable isn't good enough to carry a signal reliably, then it doesn't work. That would be classed as a dodgy or broken cable. If it doesn't work correctly, you can class that as "not working". Any errors are not going to be subtle things, you will get or audio video corruption, or no display at all. It's not going to be a subtle degradation of image quality, so it will be easy to spot.

(they do a v1.3 and a v1.4 compatible cable):
    And again, there is no such thing as a 1.3 or 1.4 cable. There are Standard speed, Standard speed with ethernet, Automotive, High speed and High speed with ethernet.

Wikipedia - HDMI:Cables

Thanks

One thing to note is that a digital TV signal has no error correction
    Funkstar has covered the cables above, but on the off chance you're talking about DVB-T, even that has error correction.

I'm at an utter loss why people join a thread 5 pages in, contradicting information that has been posted over and over again, with more evidence than is needed.

We appreciate that you're trying to help sweatherly, but it's probably worth reading the entire thread and learning the truth before jumping in. It just makes it very difficult to offer the correct advice to people when people keep posting wrong information, despite the huge amount of evidence against what you're saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar View Post
    And again, there is no such thing as a 1.3 or 1.4 cable.
    I would say this is being a little bit anal. There is a 1.3 and 1.4 spec, and cables that conform to the different standards inside each specifications. Thus you can't just say it's a 'High Speed HDMI cable' as this could either be a 'HDMI 1.3 Category 2' cable or a 'HDMI 1.4 High Speed' Cable, the version is needed. Though this is also being rather anal about it...

Registered+
    Thanks

My apologies. My understanding was that BCH is used in Data Island packets only (i.e. for audio data) and is not used for video data.

From the Wikipedia link posted:
    "Transition Minimized Differential Signaling (TMDS) on HDMI interleaves video, audio and auxiliary data using three different packet types, called the Video Data Period, the Data Island Period and the Control Period. During the Video Data Period, the pixels of an active video line are transmitted. During the Data Island period (which occurs during the horizontal and vertical blanking intervals), audio and auxiliary data are transmitted within a series of packets. The Control Period occurs between Video and Data Island periods."

"Each Data Island Period is 32 pixels in size and contains a 32-bit Packet Header, which includes 8 bits of BCH ECC parity data for error correction"

I interpreted this as there is error correction for the information within the Data Island Period packet, and given this packet holds audio data and not video data that the error correction was for audio only.

Re-reading this I now realize that maybe this could be used for error correction of information within other packets, so my apologies if this is indeed the case.

I still recommend the cable I posted as being well made and having had no issues over the past few years.
    Last edited by sweatherly; 07-11-2012 at 05:36 PM.

Larkspeed

And I still recommend the 99p cables I bought on ebay because in all the time I have used them they have never failed me once.

And the one plugged into my xbox 360 gets unplugged and plugged back in regularly as the 360 is frequently moved to another room and back.

IMO anyone who spends more than 2 or 3 quid on a standard lenght hdmi cable is just silly

Thanks

I use to order online using shopping websites for their services offered and discounts.
    Last edited by peterb; 14-12-2012 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Advertising link removed

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Troop's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z77X-UD3H
      • CPU:
      • I5 3570K@4.5
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Crucial ballistix
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M4 128gb 1tb Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4850
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Lian PC-8FI
      • Operating System:
      • win7
      • Monitor(s):
      • IPS235V
      • Internet:
      • 30mbit

Just get one from the pound shop it will make no difference.

Thanks
    • samuraiweasel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P5E
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 250+250+750
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTS250
      • PSU:
      • CM 550W
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2232BW
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 60Mb

Well, i think youre paying for the warranty pretty much, with high street shops, you just have to walk in with the faulty cable (and receipt) and they'll give you a new one on the spot, no waiting and shipping the broken one back.

Registered+
    Thanks

This thread is fantastic, glad I didn't miss it

I do have one question though. Are you sure the expensive ones aren't better than the cheap ones?
    No, please, I'm joking don't hit me.

What I actually want to say is that I'm one of those suckers that bought one for about 15 quid, well I would've been. I needed one for my xbox, and I think it was just cos I was close to a gamestation when I thought of it, that I went in there to buy one. I was about to spend £15 or whatever it was but the guy said they had a second hand one (which still cost £6 or something stupid), so I got that. The only problem is that I think it was faulty, got one from sainsbury's in the end and it works fine, need to check that other one. I guess it's not a good idea to buy them second hand, especially when you can get them new for cheaper. Doh!

Thanks
    • pipTheGeek's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920 @ 3.6GHz
      • Memory:
      • 3 * 2Gb Corsair XMS @ DDR3 1800
      • Storage:
      • 300GB 15K SAS + 500Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX570
      • PSU:
      • corsair 760i
      • Case:
      • Corsair 550d
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Alienware 23"
      • Internet:
      • VM 50Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Larkspeed View Post
    if you have enough moisture in the air in your house that you need to worry about connectors corroding then more than likely the device will fail long before a cheap cable will.

As for better conductor that point is moot with digital signals. analog signals like RCA cables yes gold can give you an advantage but on any signal carrying a digital signal it's either connected or not there are no varying levels of connection.

The reason they stick gold on them is because gullible people who do not know better go ooooo it's got gold connectors it must be good.

I have even seen optical cables with gold on the ends and they only carry light
    I OWN a gold plated optical cable. I should explain that I bought it because I wanted a cheap, very short cable and it was both. In a strange perverted way I am pleased to own it though. When I am done using it I might frame it and hang it on the wall.

I have to admit, I get so frustrated searching Amazon for an HDMI cable that isn't £0.01 to buy and £17 to deliver that I've given up. I tend to use http://www.cablesuk.co.uk/ if I only want HDMI cables or some other cable website if I am putting together a bigger order.

Registered+
    Thanks

Honestly just get the cheapest one you can find, i got one for a quid off ebay when the ps3 first came out, it still works flawlessly connecting my pc to my tv but the ps3 is long dead.

Thanks

Monster has good HDMI cables and they can be found for pretty cheap on amazon nowadays.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michaelf33713 View Post
    Monster has good HDMI cables and they can be found for pretty cheap on amazon nowadays.
    Why support a company with such dodgy marketing practices?
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

After buying at least 20 HDMI cables over a number of years, I have to say "Not all are created equally".

While I agree that electrically they are 99.99% the same, the difference comes from build quality.

I've gone through a period where HDMI cables were breaking on me left and right.....I've even had a connector come off in my TV

I do tend to look for certain cable types (less flexible type has been considerably more robust for me) and more rugged connector mouldings, although I still pay £3 or less per cable.

I tend to buy from 7dayshop these days, who normally have a selection of "HDMI 1.4" cables with ethernet (if you need/want it) for under £3. I used to buy a handful of HDMIs from scan when I placed orders but they were the ones that seemed to break on me.....although they were damn cheap (some were around £1.50).
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread Information