Thread: AMD Gizmo Explorer

Thanks

AMD Gizmo Explorer

At first glance (admittedly not read it yet, just wanted to share), it appears to be a more powerful, and far more expensive, alternative to boards like the RaspberryPi.
    http://www.extremetech.com/computing...-pi-competitor

Thanks
    • Bunjiweb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte UD
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 3.6GHZ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 2950GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 550 Ti OC
      • Case:
      • Alienware 7500
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" HannsG HG281D
      • Internet:
      • Virgin V.I.P. 60mb

Re: AMD Gizmo Explorer

Whilst it looks quite good, I don't get what makes this worth 4x as much as a Raspberry Pi for the kind of stuff people would be doing?.... Unless you're playing higher bit-rate 1080p footage the extra power is probably wasted if all you're gunna do is put XBMC on it?... only advantage appears to be the onboard SATA controller and separate sound.

Also, VGA rather than HDMI output?...
    =========
    NOTHING TO BE SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG PLEASE....

:: of all the things i've lost i miss my mind the most ::

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

It's more that it's a) x86, and b) a lot more powerful than RasPi. So you can do a lot more stuff with this. For instance, the iGPU will (afaik) support DirectCompute and OpenCL, giving you a lot of compute power on tap for a developer board. The obvious target markets (IMNSHO, at least) are HPC hobbyists, and people who want to do micro-dev in a familiar (i.e. Windows) environment.

After all, HTPC is kind of a side-use for RasPi - it was meant to be a learning computer for programming and micro-controller development. The fact that a lot of people use them as cheap HTPCs doesn't mean that is their target market. The same goes for the Gizmo; I'm sure a lot will be bought to use as general PCs, but it's actual target is developers and hobbyists.

Thanks

As I've probably said before, I'd like something like this with at least two GigE ports and a decent case to upgrade my ALIX router board, as the 100Mbit ports are likely to become a problem in the near future. Soekris do some embedded Atom boards with GigE but the pricing is a bit silly, for home use at least, and quoted power specs aren't nearly as good as the Geode platform on ALIX.

I know it's not an intended use either, but aside from the lack of ports, something like this would be ideal IMHO.

Maybe someone will come up with a dual GigE NIC to connect to the expansion slots?
    Last edited by watercooled; 28-01-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Well, it has a "fast" board edge connector, so it seems likely that someone will do one eventually

Have you looked at the jetway mini-itx boards that have daughterboard expansion? There's one of those with 3x ethernet connections, but I can't remember off-hand whether they were gigabit or 100...

EDIT: Ahha! The add-on board is 3x gigabit ethernet - http://linitx.com/product/11113 - and linitx also have a couple of atom-based (D525) boards that support the add-on: http://linitx.com/product/13531 and http://linitx.com/product/13104

EDIT2: That second board already has 2x gigabit NICs, so you could support up to 5 on that board
    Last edited by scaryjim; 28-01-2013 at 02:24 PM.

6. Received thanks from:

watercooled (30-01-2013)

Thanks

Sorry, I didn't see this in subscriptions for some reason.

I was considering this board: http://www.logicsupply.co.uk/motherb...g-motherboard/ a while back - 4 NICs, low-profile and on-board DC-DC supply is pretty much ideal, but idle DC power is still something like 13W DC. It's hardly massive, but ALIX manages just 3 watts AC. I'm also open to ARM boards but that doesn't really seem to open up any more options. I'm not just complaining because of the higher power draw, but it also implies more heat, which would mean either running uncomfortably hot 24/7, needing a fairly large case for airflow, or a tiny annoying fan, all of which I want to avoid if possible.

The desktop Atom platform just doesn't seem very efficient, I used to use a D510MO board for a file server before I got a HP Microserver, power consumption was in line with the above and even when idle, the large passive CPU heatsink would get uncomfortably hot without a fan moving some air over it. Compared to modern CPUs, the platform is quite dated in terms of power saving.

Thread Information