Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the hulk

cs nub
    Thanks

the hulk

omg this film is so bad its untrue the amount of hype and the story fades between to many chars and doesnt concentrate on his father to much and when there is action its impressive in parts but has no grit or awe. needed a kick ass soundtrack to help it aswell somthin like st.anger (keeping in with the whole anger theme) would be better

Who What Where
    Thanks
    I'll defend it in the morning...

Thanks
    this film sucks"!

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    ooh, i get to argue with mojo about why its bad in the morning :d

i shall look forward to that

Who What Where
    Thanks
    let me find my notes.... *may include minor spoilers*

Ok, this film was marketed entirely wrong. The trailers/adverts showed very little moments of character and showed many shots of a big green dude smashing things up, running fast and jumping very very high. This is not what the film is about! Sure, these moments are in the film, but they are not the main focus. Director Ang Lee went for a different approach as he knew it would be hard to portray a big green dude on screen for a long amount of time before making it look ridicules and an outright joke. So he decided to make a drama about a man, Bruce Banner, who has something inside him that he can't explain. His father passed it on to him at birth which Bruce is completely unaware about. Once the famous radioactive accident happens everybody wonders why he isnt dead. I'm going on about the plot here, i dont know why! I'll stop now!
    The characters surrounding Bruce are fantastic in my opinion! There is his ex Betty Ross (the beautiful Jennifer Connelly), a man who claims to be his father (played brilliantly by Nick Nolte), Betty's father - the military man out to get Bruce (Sam Elliot), and the sneaky slimey dude who i dontk now his name played by Josh Lucas. I think these characters are perfect and brilliantly played on all accounts! Nick Nolte especially! His estranged father figure to Bruce makes you want to loath him but manages to get sympathy non the less! Top notch acting!
    The story, which is obviously based on the comics, is a brilliant tale:

Man. Man Loves Girl. Man Is Big Green Dude. Girls Dad Is Army Dude After Big Green Dude. Big Green Dude Smashes. Girl Loves Dad And Big Green Dude.

Its kind of like a love triangle, Betty doesent know whether to support Bruce or her father who she wishes would pay more attention to her than his work in the military.

The split screen antics are more of a novelty really. I like them, but then again i am a 24 addict and that uses them all the time! I love the scene where Betty, Bruce and Josh Lucas' character are all talking and then as Lucas leaves the room it has a split screen of all three characters looking at each other in a paranoid way. very 24!

Ok, so i come to the action. On the most part - very good! Sometimes its just funny - like the dog scene - but other times it is genuinly impressive! I very much enjoyed the chase through the desert back to the city!
    The much criticised CGI of HULK seriously isnt as bad as is made out! I love watching his movements as he slowly strides forward or swings a tank around and hurls it across the desert. One thing though, the CGI HULK cannot handle emotional scenes! It just doesent work! And also those CGI dogs looked pretty awful compared to our favourate green giant.

If you really want me to criticise something, I choose the ending. It was pretty awful! The fight between him and **spoiler*** his father **end spoiler*** is shoddy and it isnt even a real fight! Just some weird stuff going on underwater! I didnt like it one bit!

I will have no doubt missed thigns out...but i will wait for Knox's reply for them

I liked this film. Not as much as other films which i dont defend as much! I best get something out of it!!

Thanks
    • Theo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Wifi deluxe
      • CPU:
      • E6600 @ 3150Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB OCZ 6400
      • Storage:
      • 1x80GB Maxtor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 640MB 8800GT
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS M221u
      • Internet:
      • Be Value
    When people make novel to film conversions (Lord of the Rings, American Psycho, etc) fans of the novels usually look for the film actually staying true to the book. This applies to comic book to film conversions too, in my opinion, and Hulk doesn't do this. Neither does Daredevil. To be honest, my feeling on these two films are that they are just silly Hollywood cash-ins.

For example: Hulk - Wow! Lets fool people out of their money by making them fall asleep in the cinema due to the sheer pooness of the storyline we can't be bothered writing, even though theres a comic book with a bloody storyline ALREADY THERE! Hur-hur!

and Daredevil - hur-hur! Lets get the biggest names in Hollywood to wear lots of tight leather and do lots of wire-work. Yeah.. the kids'll love that!

Jeez.

Who What Where
    Thanks
    I love Daredevil - far better than flipping Spiderman Spiderman does whatever a flipping spider can!

There is a story in HULK - i dont understand why people say there isnt! Its all there with his father and his past.
    To tell you the truth, I'm seriously getting bored of defending it. I am always faced with the same arguments and end up saying the same things over and over again.

This film has split us, you either love it or hate it. Simple as that.

Thanks
    I haven't seen hulk but I saw daredevil last week and loved it, the best marvel movie conversion out there. Doubt I'll go and see the hulk because I've only heard bad things about it.

Thanks
    • Theo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Wifi deluxe
      • CPU:
      • E6600 @ 3150Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB OCZ 6400
      • Storage:
      • 1x80GB Maxtor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 640MB 8800GT
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS M221u
      • Internet:
      • Be Value
    Originally posted by Private_mojo
    I love Daredevil - far better than flipping Spiderman Spiderman does whatever a flipping spider can!

There is a story in HULK - i dont understand why people say there isnt! Its all there with his father and his past.
    To tell you the truth, I'm seriously getting bored of defending it. I am always faced with the same arguments and end up saying the same things over and over again.

This film has split us, you either love it or hate it. Simple as that.
    There is A story, I'll agree to that.. it's just not THE story. If Marvel had made the film a spin-off of the "What if...?" series, then maybe I wouldn't have gotten annoyed at it

The best Marvel conversion was X Men, in my opinion.. although none of them are wearing yellow/brown spandex like they are supposed to, most of the character storylines are true to the comic, and the upcoming Phoenix saga agrees with me there. Although I doubt they'll take it into space like in the comic, with the Shi'aarr or whatever they were called. blah blah yadda (probable spoiler)
    Last edited by Theo; 25-07-2003 at 01:09 PM.

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    but spiderman rocks, and Kirsten Dunst - YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMY

TiG

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb

I will have no doubt missed thigns out...but i will wait for Knox's reply for them

I liked this film. Not as much as other films which i dont defend as much! I best get something out of it!!

You've actually summed up most of my argument within yours, that was less of a defense and more of a review.

One of my biggest criticism's of the film was simply that it tried to be to much for its own good, it tried to be an intelligent film with romance and action. and in the end it didn't feel quite right to me. To be intelligent ang lee couldn't go deep enough as he'd loose the kids that go to see the movie and are kinda the core market.

The ending as mojo said was absoloutly dire, *minor spoiler* the entire energy stealing idea wasn't very good at all, having the entire thing shot at night wasn't very good either, but then it had to be done to hide what you could still see was pretty dodgy cgi.

Which'll bring me nicely onto my next point The cgi in the film was imo pretty well done on the hulk but it looks like they spent all they're time modelling him and didn't have enough time to finish the other cgi characters/sequences to quite the same standard.

What didn't help the films cause at all is it was sooooooo feckin long nicely over 2 hours. If ang lee was worried about the hulk not working on its own without a "better" plot to go with it then why make it so long. It could have been done in 90mins and been a better film for it.

Now then *cracks knuckles* daredevil

The problem with that is it split the fans of the comic right down the middle, some thought it was ok, some thought it was a cash in. tbh nearly all films to come out of hollywood are cash ins very few good films come out that don't merchandise themselves to death.

Daredevil was a better film than spiderman, and definatly better than the hulk you've gotta agree with that at least, even if it did sell its soul for a doughnut

x-men is by far the best conversion and seems to stay as reasonably close to the comic without loosing everyone else. and x2 blimeh that was a good film
    Last edited by Knoxville; 25-07-2003 at 01:34 PM.

Thanks
    I'm gonna have to disagree with you on X2 being the best comic conversion.

I think Batman is by far the best comic conversion to date. While admitedly X2 does rock and imho they couldn't have done the effects of Nightcrawlers teleportation any better if they spent billions on it!

I have to say I'm undecided as to whether I should bother going to see Hulk now after what you guys have said. I was hoping for a "HULK SMASH!" athon of a movie that followed the comics or cartoon quiet closely with only a few changes to bring it bang up to date, but from what you've said it dont sound like its that at all.

Who What Where
    Thanks
    1. Ang Lee is a man. you said 'she'd'
    2. I think Daredevil was to short at 99 minutes, therefore I would have though HULK to short at that length. If they were going to make it shorter however - i would have taken it off the end! They could have come to a better rounded ending earlier on, they just needed to think abit more instead of getting his pap in to spoil!

X-Men and X2 are simply brilliant! Bryan Singer is a superb director - I hope he does number 3!

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    1. Ang Lee is a man. you said 'she'd'
    2. I think Daredevil was to short at 99 minutes, therefore I would have though HULK to short at that length. If they were going to make it shorter however - i would have taken it off the end! They could have come to a better rounded ending earlier on, they just needed to think abit more instead of getting his pap in to spoil!

X-Men and X2 are simply brilliant! Bryan Singer is a superb director - I hope he does number 3!
    I did indeed say she'd :/

edited now, bit early in the afternoon for me

but yeah, the crappy ending acould have been cut off and we could have all gone home earlier and a bit happier

Thanks
    • Theo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Wifi deluxe
      • CPU:
      • E6600 @ 3150Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB OCZ 6400
      • Storage:
      • 1x80GB Maxtor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 640MB 8800GT
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS M221u
      • Internet:
      • Be Value
    Originally posted by leon

I think Batman is by far the best comic conversion to date.
    Nonono you can't do that! I've only been arguing about Marvel comics, and now you've brought a DC comic into the argument. That brings everything onto another level!

I will agree, the original Batman and Superman films were and are the best comic to film conversions (out of Marvel and DC), however, the sequels (all of them) were absolutely dire.

Did anyone ever see DC comics Justice League?

Who What Where
    Thanks
    JUDGE DREDD

"I AM THE LAW"
    "JUSTICE IS SERVED"

Thread Information