Thread: Recommended CD cases?

Thanks

Recommended CD cases?

I think i'll be using a LOT of discs in the near future, hard drive crashes have got me thinking about regular backups to DVD. Any sturdy cases that hold plenty of discs? I'll probably be backing up 200-400GB and would like the discs to be safe.

Thanks
    I suppose i could just buy extra tubs from www.bigpockets.co.uk :hs:

Is that safe for the discs?

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    PC World
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...1&tm=undefined

or

However I use this one

thats a card board wrapper round it....its just a black fake leather & fabric case, but its quite rigid

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    Heh, Pcworld's site does that lame cookie time-out so the links are useless

But those DJ style cases could be a good choice for me.

Is there a danger in using the tubs/spindles? Could they possibly damage discs?

Thanks

Thanks
    Yeah, i mentioned that in the second post , do you think the tubs/spindles are a good, safe way to store discs considring the price?

Thanks
    Marcos mate, i have 2 of these (an another older style one)...

It holds 100 disks and has 3 buttons - one make the list pop out and another makes the lid automaticaly pop up hold the disk you choose with the slider (the disks are numbered with sitckers)

I can't live without mine now. Have a look at this HERE and try and find a UK suplier. I got mine from a catalogue shop in Shrewsbury for £20 each

You also get these free with it...

Last edited by autopilot; 24-02-2005 at 02:30 AM.

Thanks
    These look pretty bad ass too...

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    design over function....

a cd must be safe on the underside if its valuable. The wallet style ones I use arefor copies only. They do eventually scratch the disks as they slide in and out.

To really protect a CD it needsto besupported in thecentre like a Gem case does....thats your target.

and gravity....it sucks you know

you'd need that ON ITS SIDE to get the disks in and out safely everytime

Design over function....look good, work less well

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    So a spindle is safer than the CD wallets?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak33
    design over function....

a cd must be safe on the underside if its valuable. The wallet style ones I use arefor copies only. They do eventually scratch the disks as they slide in and out.
    The Discgear I have is certainly not design over function. The underside of the discs never touch any other discs or any part of the storage box (there is a 0.5 mm gap). It really is a very good desgin and protects the disks better than a wallet became wallets can scratch the disk as the slide out. With the discgear, it lifts the disk so you can put your finger in the center hole and lift it out. It only holds the very outer edge that has no data on it. They are well suported and gravity won't damage them. If you see one you will see what i mean. My discgear protects disks better than a normal CD case would and a wallet. In the process of putting a disk in, choosing another and removing it, the data side never touchs anything. I have not tried the new Studio model so i can't say how good it is, but discgear products are usually very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos
    So a spindle is safer than the CD wallets?
    I don't think so. If you think about it, they are just pilled up on top of each other and could over time get scratched as they rub against each other. The effect of gravity is more likely to be a bigger factor here, but i don't think thst something that should be a major concern. Friction on the other hand is. When you buy blank discs on a spindle, you just take them out one at a time. But if you are storing backups, what would happen if you need to take out on that was in the middle of the pile? It would be a right mess about. And how do you know which is which? I would go for a wallet over a spindle everytime for safety and ease of access. But wallets can still scratch discs. I really would recommed a discgear box, especially if you can find one for £20. Much safer longterm.

Also take into account that if you are planing to keep these back ups for a few years (i.e. important photos etc) you must get good media. Super cheap DVD's and CD's will in some cases only be readable for a little as 3 years. Some cheap ones maybe more, but it's worth spending the cash on decent disks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous_dom
    The Discgear I have is certainly not design over function. The underside of the discs never touch any other discs or any part of the storage box (there is a 0.5 mm gap). It really is a very good desgin and protects the disks better than a wallet became wallets can scratch the disk as the slide out. With the discgear, it lifts the disk so you can put your finger in the center hole and lift it out. It only holds the very outer edge that has no data on it. They are well suported and gravity won't damage them. If you see one you will see what i mean. My discgear protects disks better than a normal CD case would and a wallet. In the process of putting a disk in, choosing another and removing it, the data side never touchs anything. I have not tried the new Studio model so i can't say how good it is, but discgear products are usually very good.

I don't think so. If you think about it, they are just pilled up on top of each other and could over time get scratched as they rub against each other. The effect of gravity is more likely to be a bigger factor here, but i don't think thst something that should be a major concern. Friction on the other hand is. When you buy blank discs on a spindle, you just take them out one at a time. But if you are storing backups, what would happen if you need to take out on that was in the middle of the pile? It would be a right mess about. And how do you know which is which? I would go for a wallet over a spindle everytime for safety and ease of access. But wallets can still scratch discs. I really would recommed a discgear box, especially if you can find one for £20. Much safer longterm.

Also take into account that if you are planing to keep these back ups for a few years (i.e. important photos etc) you must get good media. Super cheap DVD's and CD's will in some cases only be readable for a little as 3 years. Some cheap ones maybe more, but it's worth spending the cash on decent disks.
    Which are decent discs? I dont mind spending more

Thanks

Re: Recommended CD cases?

I always buy my dvd and cd cases from these guys "rpadistribution" The main difference with their cases is the quality. Never get one broken, moulding in crisp and clean. Very high quality plastics used. Sorry to be so anal about cd casing but I have had mostly rubish from all the other companies I have used before I found RPA.

Thread Information