Thread: LG firmware update adds VRR like behaviour as wellas massive visual update :

Thanks

LG firmware update adds VRR like behaviour as wellas massive visual update :

43UH650V
    Bought...; lead upto xmas 16, and i've been really happy with it. Of course @ ~£400 when bought i was aware ( seen enough side-by-side comparisons LCD/OLED etc ) of the mid-range limitations my Tv would exhibit.

Fast-forward 2+yrs to firmware update 05:30:45 BAM!!!.......

Visual acuity.......X5 : 3-d dimesionality of picture; no longer limited to static-images : VRR-like sync with my RX580 8G.............,:-) i kid you not, AC Origins was a janky mess, even when OC'ing GPU + Cpu!!! SO, stopped playing.

Went back andd played opening sequence into Siwa; fighting troops at friends house............; DIFFERENT GAME, DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE, visually massive change.

The standard Tv performance metrics have really improved with update :

: Black levels ( within the LCD limitations ) have; for me go up by a fator of 3 !!! Contrast, sharpness; the 3-d dimesionality , by many, many times visually increased.

The game-changer for me :-) VRR-like behaviour; where NONE existed before. I say like because this 2016 Tv was NEVER marketed as having sync-refresh capabilities :

NIGHT & DAY; AC Origins......, nay; ALL games, all desktop use; even playing back mkv's etc from usb on Tv show the same massive visual update along with the velvety-super-smooth motion tracking ( provided you disable built-in wifi !!! :-) ).

Genuine tears of joy sprang from my ~50yrs old eyes :-) DUDES :-)

Obviously; i thought I was going mad; so a couple of friends who regularly visit, and have sat and enjoyed Movies, or watched while i game; also commented immediately upon enetring my room " Whats happened to Tv......., it looks 3-dimensional..., clearer, sharper etc" :-)

Watched a ~ 17GB mkv@Avatar =4K+HDR........., the other 50 times I have seen this movie mean nothing; THIS was the first-time seeing the film...Magical :-)

Have Close Encounters, BirdBox + The Matrix @ 4k+HDR; allready on pen, cuppa n sandwich then to loving up my eyeballs :-)))

Im not the only gamer/movie lover with an LG Tv : cannot speak to other models, but my thinking is; the scaler used in my mid-range Tv 43UH650V-2016, may have been used in a whole-swathe of models, unless you bought Highend.

Posted a couple of AMD Reddit posts, but nobody on their, even when said have VRR-experience; ... numptys.

So, posting here for the LG Tv owners; you "MAY" have a serious visual upgrade coming your way; like me.............., or you may not;-) worth checking methinks:-)

Edit : Screen is 12-bit 1080p 4-4-4 chroma 60Hz ; @ 4K = 10-bit 4-4-4 chroma @ 60Hz, think thats 8-bit+frc?
    Last edited by illusio13; 21-02-2019 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Clarity

Thanks
    • PC-LAD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • X370 GT7
      • CPU:
      • R5 3600 @ 4.3GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4*4 GB TG Delta @2933
      • Storage:
      • 128gb Sandisk SSD plus, 1tb SeaGate Barracuda, 640GB WD Black, 500gb WD Blue sata ssd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Evga G+650w
      • Case:
      • MasterBox 5 Lite TemG
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • MSI Optix G24C
      • Internet:
      • 10 up 70 Down

Re: LG firmware update adds VRR like behaviour as wellas massive visual update :

I happen to have a TV of the same era an LG 49UH610V. We bought it November 17 for the £400 we thought it was worth thanks to reviews. Peoples marvel was completely different as i also have faced the disturbances you have. Viewing angles are awful as backlighting is not there. Do you happen to know if i can look at a list of compatable models

Thread Information