Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCTV Recommendations

Thanks

CCTV Recommendations

Hello, I’ve seen some older threads regarding this, and am wondering if anyone has any updated recommendations on a complete CCTV expandable setup.

I’m looking for POE support and at least 4MP to cover the front and back of the house. I’ve looked at Reolink (they usually have an offer for an 8 port NVR with 4 x5MP cams around £380) in the past, but have been a put off by them indicating that their NVR only works with their cameras (which I though sounded like rubbish as I’m sure that their cameras support ONVIF).

It’s a huge minefield for the initiated. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

OilSheikh

Re: CCTV Recommendations

I use a webcam connected to a PC ( you can buy a DELL / HP i3 one for £40 off ebay ). I then have a software installed that records it and saves it to a certain folder. My Box account then syncs that folder every 30 mins.

Make sure your Windows account is password protected, so even if a thief nicks your PC, they can't access your Box account.

Registered+
    Thanks

I had also spent ages researching this stuff, apparently ** snip ** are good suppliers. Most of them have PoE support and loads of options.

I think a good NAS (like synology) is more versatile than NVRs. The recorder is just software.

Thanks

I do a webcam attached to a PC

Registered+
    Thanks

I use Reolink, if you don't mind the wait you can get them on Aliexpress for a good price. My only complaint on them is that the motion detection can be overly senstive sometimes bombarding me with e-mail notifications when it rains heavily for instance. I also have a Ring doorbell which surpsingly works very well but as you may or may not know you need to subscribe to their service in order to keep a record of your footage.

If you dont' need that many camera's I would suggest Ring, if you after a more comprehensive setup take a look at the Reolinks (consider the Pan Tilt and zoom options of the more expensive models).

Thanks
    • Marcvs's system
      • CPU:
      • Acer Aspire 5810T
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7/Mac OSX Lion
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 22" (1920*1200)

Been hearing a few good things about the UniFi cameras (have ordered a couple to test out) and will report back.

I am sure I could DIY something as good, but for relatives I want something that just works without faff.

OwP
    Registered+
    Thanks

Looking for a similar solution, will keep an eye on this thread. I do have a Ring doorbell that's OK, but I would like to expand coverage. Please report back with your experience.

Thanks
    • IAmATeaf's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600@3.25
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2GB Corsair 6400C5DHX XMS2
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 0.5TB 7200.12, 2 x 1.5TB 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX460 OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC6089B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung T240 24"
      • Internet:
      • 6Mb ADSL Max

I went for BlueIris as the NVR running on a Win10 PC. Have 6 2Mp Dahua starlight turret cams, when I did my install only 2Mp starlights were available but a few months back they released 4Mp starlights which is what I would buy right now.

Cost me quite a fair wedge, the cams with a mounting box were around £150 each, the PC cost around £125, POE switch around £80 plus a few other bits and bobs.

Thanks

I really like the Honeywell and Bosch stuff, depends what you are looking at price and performance wise..

2nd hardest inthe infants petrefax's Avatar
    Thanks

i have 3 x Foscam cameras with a dedicated Win10 PC running BlueIris as my NVR. the cameras are (in my opinion) reasonable mid-range kit & if you keep an eye on their website there's often sales around key dates like bank holidays etc.

their app is pretty handy for hooking up to the cameras & having an always on link to them from your phone (granted, i could achieve similar with the BlueIris web interface but why re-invent the wheel)

BlueIris is really easy to get on with & easy to configure, I've got it set up to split recordings into 1 hour clips & drop new recordings onto the dedicated machine, then archive these to a server so i get to keep a good 3 weeks of recordings
    if it ain't broke...fix it till it is

Old Fool!
    Thanks
    • EtheAv8r's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus V Gene
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K @ 4500 Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • 2 x Samsung EVO 850 SSD; 1 x Samsung 2TB HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S-12 650 Energy+
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2713H
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity II

I have Hikvision DS-7608NI-E2 8 Port NVR with a mix of DS-2CD2T42WD-I5 and DS-2CD2342WD-I
    cameras. Very robust, high end quality system with POE so cameras only need Ethernet cable connection and no other for power, and it was easy to install (but a lot of loft crawling to run external grade CAT 6 cables and drill through external walls to feed cameras. Not budget, but excellent kit.
    Try to make each and every day the best it can be.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Jager's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD4 iP55 Socket 1156 8 channel audio mATX Motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz Socket LGA1156 8MB L3 Cache Processor
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LP Performance Memory modules 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 2133MHz CL9 Blue
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital Blue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 FTW Signature2 3GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
      • PSU:
      • OCZ Stealth XStream 600W PSU - SLI Ready ATX2.2 12cm Fan
      • Case:
      • Antec 300 (standard ATX)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64-bit Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG E2240S
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 500mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by EtheAv8r View Post
    I have Hikvision
    How muhc did that setup cost if you don't mind me asking?

I've also heard very good things about Hikvision. They also have a range called 'HiLook' which is apparently aimed more for home/business owners that want a DIY install. Not sure what the difference is though or how much easier it is

Thanks

I've used HIKVision before, they were one of the first ones to force a password change on a unit when it came out of the box.
    Mate of mine does installs if you're in the right area, however, he does travel farther afield if requested.

Registered+
    Thanks

thanks for the suggestions. has been growing on me lately to get a cctv setup.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EtheAv8r View Post
    I have Hikvision DS-7608NI-E2 8 Port NVR with a mix of DS-2CD2T42WD-I5 and DS-2CD2342WD-I
    cameras. Very robust, high end quality system with POE so cameras only need Ethernet cable connection and no other for power, and it was easy to install (but a lot of loft crawling to run external grade CAT 6 cables and drill through external walls to feed cameras. Not budget, but excellent kit.
    I have the exact same setup with the Hikvision DS-7608NI-E2 and 3x DS-2CD2342WD-I, installed another 4 of them for friends since this, everybody very happy with the quality of the system. Huge step up over the previous system that was being used.

DS-7608NI-K2 is the replacement NVR nowadays though as the -E2 is no longer sold, Scan stock this.

Registered+
    Thanks

We have a SWANN CCTV system and I do not recommend. Will likely replace with some of the suggestions people have posted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information