• Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Audigy out, and Revolution 7.1 in

Well, ladies and gentlemen, we have a new sound card rocking here. The Revolution 7.1 from M-Audio.

Lets start from the top. I have owned Live! cards (x2) and then moved onto Audigy 1. I use two different sound systems on my PC.

A Kenwood 6 channel input amp and an Eltax 5 speaker set called Hollywood. This has large towers, small rear satellites and a reasonable centre. There are large bass speakers in the bottom of the towers

I also use Sennheiser 570's

And recently a basic Microsoft headset that came with a Game Voice set-up (boom mic for Voice coms being the reason)

While I absorb the whole "Creative own the gaming world " philosophy, and clearly now have more compatibility than ever before , we still see a large amount of CRAP installed with the cards. Some you can opt out of, but none the less, Creative insist on filling your PC's registry with stuff.....

And the opposition, mainly nForce2 and Hercules, make some incredible cards. So do Philips with their Edge cards.

But Creative have had my money more than most.

The benefits of my Audigy 1 were significant over Live! The sound quality was notably better, and although I am not entirely sure that EAX2 has flown off with the world’s ear'oles in a sweeping victory, EAX of either form does improve games immensely.

And I use my PC for Games and Music. No films (yet)

Task.....how the HELL do you swap sound cards and then try to compare them WITH ONE PC ? It was a recipe for disaster. Un-publishable. Who on EARTH would take a review seriously where you couldn't swap back and forth to compare? No bugger, that's who

Sod it.....I was gonna try anyway. Then I asked you all to suggest tracks to play. I used some of the suggested ARTISTS, and some of my own. I wasn't prepared to download stuff....I wanted original CD's.

I listen to some WEIRD STUFF:
    Iron Maiden, Two Towers CD, Clannad, Ozzy, Deacon Blue, some Celtic stuff I won’t try to explain and a few classics....then a few dance tracks. I ripped them with Media Player 9 to MAX quality settings.

I also booted up Il-2 Forgotten Battles, set up 3 flights of 4 bombers and then recorded a track of me flying (not crashing you'll be glad to know) in between the bombers high and low, weaving between, all at different speeds. For the un-initiated, you can replay these tracks and go "external" and zoom in and out from the planes and hear the flyby's the engine notes etc. It was the best way I could think of.

I also ran 3dmark 2003 and watched the frame rate drops on the Audio test. One of the tests runs with sound and the identical one without sound, so you can compare the drain on the CPU with sound on.

And that brings me to my biggest worry. This new 7.1 does not have a processor onboard to take the work out of the sound calculations. It uses CPU cycles. Audigy has onboard power to do it for ya. It’s not a prob with music but it’s a worry in gaming.

So what did I do?

1: Go next door and make sure they aint in
    2: Take the dogs to someone else’s house.
    3: Plug the Senns into the AMP headphone plug so they use the amp built into that.

OK..I am NOT an Audiophile....I love music and I love games. I can hear well. I have moderate priced equipment that YOU LOT could get hold of. Its the real world here.....not a Laboratory.

So if you like hyper tech reviews (as I do) then move on..... Nothing to see here

I belted out Maiden at 90% power on my 5-speaker set up. I used Madonna's Vogue to rattle the bass speakers hard as poss...I used Prodigy to further scare the crap out of them.

I switched to Clannad for vocals and used Raintown by Deacon Blue to hear the atmosphere. I then did it all again in Headphone mode (found in Audigy mixer menu).

I flew Il2 and recorded the fly by track and played it back internal and then at set external views. I installed UT2003 and ran about being shot at. I hid a bit, and waited for footsteps....

*takes breath*

I then Add/Removed the 4 million gigs of software on an Audigy set-up, and took it out, rebooted with no card....and searched for files. It did a good job as it goes....

*nother deep breath*

Installed the new drivers (downloaded, only 10mb, surely that aint right) and then powered down, whacked it in the PCI plug and rebooted.....it installed....and worked.

Straight off...... I don’t normally get lucky. But it seems that M-Audio like clear concise drivers.

Dear M-Audio...I want to have your babies. Except for the click and pop noise (only mild, not speaker damaging) on boot up, it was all in and done.

*third deep breath*

Media Player on....amp cranked up......

OH this is NOT FAIR

I have wasted HOW MANY YEARS thinking there was only about 5 instruments in each of those tracks?

This card is sharper and clearer than a crystal glass. It defies belief. And I have to say......I am NOT..repeat...NOT an Audiophile. I have £400 set up..not big dough....

Its just blossomed like a new rose bud opening in the sun.

CLANNAD is a different band. Enya's relative is a different woman.

BRUCE DICKINSON sounds the same....but Maiden don't ...behind him.

And as for Deacon Blue's "Dignity"....

I am now at work....writing this from memory. Not Scientific. I have a note pad full of notes.....what word keeps coming up....?

Breathing.....I can hear some of them BREATHING.

OK...I am prone to exaggeration....it makes good reading. I am not inflating this.

NEXT: Drivers...and user interface.

Lovely book....beautifully laid out....chuck it away. My Jack Russell could use this card.......

You click on the picture of the speakers (either front or back or sub or centre)....the menu changes to those speakers. Link or unlink them (joint or separate volume) Choose the SIZE of the speakers, and the distance from your head in feet. Then click TEST and hear the tone. Adjust.

Click next speaker group....(rear next) and do same...distance, size, test)

Then name the set-up ("Music Home Trial 1" for example) choose an icon (2 speaker, 4.0, 5.0, 5.1, 6.1 Headphone etc) and click save.

Then play music Job is a good un...mute individual speakers OR all BUT ONE speaker to hear the results.

It is fantastically easy.

Change to a Bass Management that reroutes the Sub to the 2 fronts instead (ideal for my speakers)...1 click.

These menus are SO EASY they make Audigy look like a degree in Astro-Physics paper.

Choose Centre channel being redirected to the stereo speakers...or the other way around and activate Tru Surround XT and get really really good surround from Stereo. I mean really good !

And then if you choose GAMING, then you have Sensaura's excellent 3d positional calculations ...in fact you get Sensaura, EAX, DirectSound, and A3D. Only EAX 2 is missing.

And it all WORKS....first time. Its like going to heaven

Dolby Digital, DTS, EAX, A3d, 107dB signal-to-noise ratio and 0.003%THD.its a long and complex list....and it REALLY DOES IT.

No bull.....this beast delivers.

GO READ THE WEB SITE

OK....the game drain. How much power disappeared? Well...quite a lot. I was seeing drops in frame rate of about 5fps.( PC specs: nforce 2, 2x512 PC2700, Athlon XP2400, Radeon 9800Pro.)

But frankly, in game....I didn’t remember. I totally forgot, so it mustn't have shown up.

What DID show up was a DIFFERENT EAX EFFECT.... not worse, but more subtle. My LA-7 (ww2 fighter) and my TB3 (ww2 bomber.... old and clumsy) sounded TOTALLY DIFFERENT. Just as loud...but less...harsh. I don’t know if that is better or worse. It was still clear......it just sounded like a different plane.

UT2003 rocked......the Music for the first time, HIT ME, Impact. But the direction of the shooting took me a few times back into the Set-up and a few volume readjusts.... my rear speakers are too small for this sound card. It wants (correctly) 4 equal sized speakers......

Anyone with 4 satellites will love it.

OK..I'm done...I've run out of steam. This card is quite the most impressive thing that I have done to my PC since my Rad9800Pro upgrade.

Too many people spend monster money on vid cards, huge speed memory and a 5 kilogram heat sink...and then use a Live! OEM that is way out of date.

If you have a half decent vid card and a processor in the XP2200 and above league.....think HARD about the sound card next.

Think really hard. It’s like getting a new digital camera and noticing STRAIGHT AWAY how bad the old one was. This is audio heaven.

Promise

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    • Enverex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H77n-WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K with Scythe Shuriken
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 500GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 670 2GB OC Power Edition
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 550W G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG11
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 42LW550T 42" TV
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity
    Yeah, I know how you feel. I have decided to stay away from creative after installed a Hercules card in the parents machine, and all it required was a 13MB download for everything, which they continue to support, not an entire CD's worth of crap then end the support there and then.

Though remember, it's not just EAX2 missing, its EAX3 as well.

NS

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    Originally posted by NightShade737
    Though remember, it's not just EAX2 missing, its EAX3 as well.
    Good point, well made

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    Zak, for some true musical finesse, get hold of the Meet Joe Black Theme. PM me if you like, I can, erm, sell you a copy
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    you can run a pc with more than one soundcard. mines currently got a sbaudigy platinum, herc gamer theatre xp and onboard in it, just flick between them in windows
    hughlunnon@yahoo.com | I have sigs turned off..

Registered+
    Thanks
    and by the way.....this is your boss.......get the heck back to work and quit posting 3 hr threads on the internet.!!!!

heehee...

yea.....pretty easy to do with a PC and XP configuring it for different hardware,using 2 cards for sound I mean.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Howard....I'm falling in lust with your ass!!!...oops......I mean butt.

Thanks
    • Enverex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H77n-WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K with Scythe Shuriken
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 500GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 670 2GB OC Power Edition
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 550W G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG11
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 42LW550T 42" TV
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity
    Originally posted by smilincanuck
    Howard....I'm falling in lust with your ass!!!...oops......I mean butt.
    Am I missing something here?.......

NS

Thanks
    he thinks charlie is howard

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    Charlize*

I'm touched.

Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Thanks
    Holy Thread-Revival Batman!! sorry t drag this up.. BUT.. where can i get my mitts on one of these for a reasonable amount of Filthy Lucre? been searching all over and cannee find anyone that'll post to the IOM at a decent price.. are they fairly well populated in run of the mill high street shops?

Quote Originally Posted by The Quentos
    "My udder is growing. Quick pass me the parsely sauce." Said Oliver.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumble
    . BUT.. where can i get my mitts on one of these for a reasonable amount of Filthy Lucre? been searching all over and cannee find anyone that'll post to the IOM at a decent price.. are they fairly well populated in run of the mill high street shops?
    Overclockers UK.
    Kustom normally stock but are OOS at the moment.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Thread Information