Thread: Auna amplifiers

Registered+
    Thanks

Red face Auna amplifiers

Hi

I am being offered, second hand, an Auna amp for £40, this claims to be a 1500w Hi-Fi amplifier...
    Now, the Auna website seems genuine and reliable, and the company seems fine... But there are a lot of reviews on the web about the company, and they all seem bad. So, my question is: Is Auna a bad make, or is it just their certain models/just their Hi-Fi amplifiers/just their Car amplifiers?

Auna AMP-6100 is the model

Cheers

Thanks
    • g8ina's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z75 Pro3
      • CPU:
      • Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3.
      • Storage:
      • 250GB SSD system, 250GB SSD Data + 2TB data, + 8TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD 6870
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 22"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100MB unlimited

Re: Auna amplifiers

That would be a pretend 1600 watts, made up from :

2 x 120W RMS plus 4 x 40W RMS = 400 watts RMS.

The trick is the RMS. They are quoting the good old "peak music power output, or PMPO (or fake as we call it).

40 quid ????

Rubbish, dont waste your money.
    Cheers, David

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

What g8ina said.

Personally, I'd dismiss out of hand, any claim of 1500w amplifiers. As said, that'll almost certainly be peak power, and I'm not aware of reputable companies using anything other that RMS (root-mean-squared, a sort of average measurement of waveform) in years. Decades, even.

I'd also question 1500w and "hifi". Why anyone would need 1500w amplifier power in a domestic situation beats me. First, if that were RMS, you'd need to be VERY careful what speakers you hooked up to it, and ever turning it up above a tiny fraction of maimum power, or you'd vaporise the voice coils in high frequency speakers and probably melt the crossovers. Oh, okay, "vaporise" might be overstating it, but you'd blow most speakers easily. And if you didn't, I hope your listening room is about the size of a large town's Town Hall, because in the average bedroom/living room, you'd either blow the double glazing out of it's frames, or shred listener's eardrums.

As for £40, you can get some bargains on quite old amps at that price provided you, first, know what you're looking at, and second, are able to fix the problems you are quite likely to encounter on old gear. But it's a bit of a minefield, so tread carefully.

PS. I know nothing about Auna, either good or bad. I've never heard of them. I base my opinion directly on that 1500w power claim, which personally, I'd treat with not so such a pinch of salt as a mountain of it.

Thanks

Any recommendations on good amplifier?

Thanks

I had bad experience with used amplifiers, whenever I need one, I always pick new

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by samuel0 View Post
    I had bad experience with used amplifiers, whenever I need one, I always pick new
    So I am replying to myself I decided to purchase a new amplifier, probably something from this non-commercial **SNIP** , I think **SNIP** might become a great option as it has enough power to sustain high-level speakers and solid protection mode.

Admin Edit - Link and spam promotion removed.

Do that again and be banned
    Last edited by Zak33; 13-02-2020 at 04:43 PM. Reason: posting links and SEO words... nope nope nope

Thread Information