• Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media

Darkness : Not that rubbish band... but the horror film

Well... I was sat bored with insomnia and thought I'd pop down and see this film @ the local theatre and saw one of the best horror/thrillers I have seen in a while.

Storywise, its a great thriller, suspense and horror all rolled into one. The camera work on this does make the film very errie indeed.

Heres some of the blurb taken from their marketing

There’s something in this house...Something ancient and dark that remains still, hidden and silent. It can only wait, having been concealed in the shadows for years. In fact, its milieu is darkness. Only in it can it show itself and move. It even takes its name: DARKNESS.

It’s lived here since someone tried to call it, more than forty years ago. Because this house hides a secret, a terrible past, an inconceivably evil act….Seven children, faceless people, a circle that must be completed.
    And blood, lots of blood…

But something went wrong. One of the children got away. The circle wasn’t completed. That’s why what lives here isn’t finished. It’s just waiting…It tries to carry out what it couldn’t before, making plans in the shadows, to become complete, to be, to exist…

A new family has just moved into the house. A small child. An unstable father capable of losing his temper at any time. A perfect target. The right place at the right time. The pieces only have to be put in place. And then wait…

Maybe the family’s daughter will be able to discover the truth; the dark secret of the past, the sinister conspiracy, the truth about what threatens them. Why is the father getting worse? What is her little brother afraid of? Why doesn’t her mother listen to her? And why do the lights keep going out?
    It could be that nothing happens by chance, that everything has been worked out from the start. A devilish plan, precise and exact like a time-bomb. Her father’s illness, the house, the circles, the children…

Perhaps she can foresee darkness’ master stroke of play and the inevitable destiny that is closing in on her family. But maybe it’s too late…
    Soundwise - this film has the lot. The erriness is surreal. the hairs on the back of my neck we're on full attention near the end of this film and some of the noises in the background are a little too erry at times and can follow you home and up the darkened staircase

Visuals - Well... its a horror based on the fact they expect the audience to be clever enough to string 2 + 2 together and scare themselves rather than "BOO IN YO FACE MUTHA" style scary. Oh and boy does it work well. Add the spooky noises and what you have is a full-on frightfest for the intellectuals.

The fellas have not been forgotten in this film ( hurray I here you all cry ) as there is plenty of waist height shots of Anna Paquin ( Rogue from x-men ) behind and also quite a few scenes of her in her swimming costume. ( note to the director.... lol )

Overall its a great film, yeah it might not have the bestest ever ending in the world ever but nothing can touch Die Hard 2 for that so I'll keep my lips sealed and not spoil anything for you apart from its a great film and fella's if you take your ladyfriends with you they will be hugging you so tight by the end you'll feel like her that won pop idol in one of Kylie Minogue's corsets

good film all round really - 7.5 / 10

Official website link ; http://movies.fantasticfactory.com/darkness
    Last edited by Lee H; 24-03-2005 at 03:33 PM.

Thread Information