• Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • MSI Optix MPG341QR // Dell Dell S2421H
      • Internet:
      • BT Full Fibre 900

TV + Soundbar Combo £2000 [UK]

Hey,

I’ll be moving into a new home in the next few weeks/month and I’m looking to get a new setup to replace my ageing one (Philips 43PUS6262 // Yamaha RX-V365 // Mordaunt Short 904i).

Due to space constraints I’m looking at dropping the AV Receiver and floor standing speakers in favour of a modern Soundbar. I don’t really know much about current audio tech or Soundbars in general so just looking to see what people would advise, depending on my TV choice I will have somewhere between £300-£500 available towards a Soundbar (this could be stretched ever so slightly if the additional cost is worth it).

When it comes to TV’s I’m torn between the Samsung “The Frame” 2021 QE55LS03AAUXXU and the LG OLED55C14LB, I believe both will meet my needs (I will be using a PlayStation 5 as the main input device to the TV for everything from gaming to Netflix, Amazon Prime, Sky, Spotify, YouTube etc etc you get the idea). I’m open to other similar priced options within my budget (I would have stuck with Philips as I like the Ambilight feature but they seem so far behind as far as spec to price ration when compared with the competition that I can’t justify keeping the Ambilight feature).

Any and all suggestions and advice welcomed, if you need any additional info please feel free to ask, thanks for reading and I look forward to your replies

Have a great weekend,

don't stock motherhoods
    Thanks
    • Millennium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD 3600x @ 3.85 with Turbo
      • Memory:
      • 4*G-Skill Samsung B 3200 14T 1T
      • Storage:
      • WD850 and OEM961 1TB, 1.5TB SSD SATA, 4TB Storage, Ext.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3070 FE HHR NVidia (Mining Over)
      • PSU:
      • ToughPouwer 1kw (thinking of an upgrade to 600w)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 101 Home 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HiSense 55" TV 4k 8bit BT709 18:10
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone 12 / month, high contentions weekends 2, phone backup.

Re: TV + Soundbar Combo £2000 [UK]

Try and see your TV choices in person and choose from there, perhaps Richer Sounds or John Lewis these days (maybe Currys?)
    hexus trust : n(baby):n(lover):n(sky)|>P(Name)>>nopes

Be Careful on the Internet! I ran and tackled a drive by mining attack today. It's not designed to do anything than provide fake texts (say!)

Thanks
    • Rookie1986's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3900X
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket NVMe m.2 1TB (PCIe 4)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AsRock Taichi AMD Radeon 5700 XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850i
      • Case:
      • Lian Li o11 Dynamic
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • BT Full Fibre 900

Quote Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
    Try and see your TV choices in person and choose from there, perhaps Richer Sounds or John Lewis these days (maybe Currys?)
    With lockdown are these places open (I’ve been on medical shielding for over 12 months so have no idea - I thought “essential” shops such as supermarkets, pharmacies etc were the only ones open)?

Thanks

Well... according to BBC, ALL shops are allowed to be open by April 12th: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52530518. I probably won't go just yet, but in theory they will be open soon.
    "Arrogance and stupidity all in the same package. How efficient of you!" - Ambassador Londo Mollari
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - A General

Thanks
    • Rookie1986's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3900X
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket NVMe m.2 1TB (PCIe 4)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AsRock Taichi AMD Radeon 5700 XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850i
      • Case:
      • Lian Li o11 Dynamic
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • BT Full Fibre 900

Quote Originally Posted by Scryder View Post
    Well... according to BBC, ALL shops are allowed to be open by April 12th: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52530518. I probably won't go just yet, but in theory they will be open soon.
    Ah that’s promising, might hold off until early May (bank holiday sale hopefully) and look then, or even wait until the summer to see if anyone does an Olympics type package like they do for the World Cup.

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Quote Originally Posted by Rookie1986 View Post
    Snip
    Here we go...

Panasonic's top-end OLED will include a soundbar and will come in around the top-end of your budget. They also have the 1500 series which is the same panel as the 2000 model, minus the sound bar.

Panasonic have got 4K120Hz support this year but have degraded IQ at this setting much like last(2020) and this (2021) years Sony 4K120 supporting TVs.

The best all around option for a screen is going to be either a C1 or G1 from LG - 4x HMDI 2.1, VRR support now and the G1 is as bright as the Sony OLED based off current reviews (whilst being cheaper).

Sony's OLED currently doesn't support VRR and this feature last week was delayed from being expected in spring to Winter 2021. Their 900 series LED tele from last year is still missing VRR support 1 year after it was announced and used the same chipset as this years OLED (and also same as the Panasonic - who too have announced 'issues' with VRR). Do not buy a TV based on a promised SW feature, and certainly not with this track record.

Samsung - this years Q line-up use IPS panels and seem to be a step down on 2020 models which have degraded IQ in game node. Tend to be more expensive than LG - avoid, for me personally.

Samsung also do not support Dolby Vision. LG, Pan, Sony do.

TLDR: at the budget you're playing with, LG is the safe and probably 'best' bet. As with all things checks review - rtings.com and HDTVtest on YourTube are good starting points - I believe HDTVTesr will have a LG G1 review going up today.

Obvious elephant in the room is panel degradation on OLED (not burn-in, although the visual effect is the same). There are built-in protections on LG at least (pixel shifter, tv auto off, built-in apps have a auto screensaver if they detect static content, logo luminance adjuster) but under normal usage you should be fine. FWIW, LG seem to have decent customer service globally, I've seen people have their B6 replaced with B/CX years after due to panel problems - caveat emptor though.

Soundbars:

Sorry, don't know enough about the lay of the land on these.
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Thread Information