• Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

Heavy Metal Headphones?

Spotted an interesting Headphone project over on Kickstarter, HEAVYS.

I would have dismissed this until I read the engineer behind these designed the HD range of headphones at Sennheiser for 27 years, Axel Grell. I currently have a pair of HD 595s. And to date are the best headphones I've owned for music and gaming.
    They are exceptionally good for long term use with a fabric material and replaceable parts.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...or-heavy-metal

I've been looking for a second pair of headphones, not to necessarily replace my 595s but to use for walks, gym etc. So wireless is a new requirement.

Technically these appear impressive, but some caveats, they're leather, closed back and heavy with all the WiFi and battery tech.
    To want wireless I've no choice but to compromise on the weight aspect.
    With regards to closed back they claim to have addressed some associated issues with pressure and fatigue. But I also like to hear a little of the environment around me, I'm not sure if BT noise cancelling options are as good as open back.
    Leather is just not a great material for long term use, you have to slowly peel them away when you take them off, and I always find myself aware that they're on Vs fabric where they become part of you, at least that's my experiences.

Things that look attractive on paper.
    I like the connectivity options, it covers all listening settings, wireless, AUX and USB.
    I like the driver & tweeter design
    Has a mic & noise cancelling on BT.

These are definitely on my watch list. Not 100% sure I'll go for the Kickstarter.
    Thankfully heavy metal is something I listen to.

2. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (06-02-2022)

Thanks

Re: Heavy Metal Headphones?

Interesting.

My first thought is that while, yeah, I like some heavy metal, it's a long way from being my sole choice of music. As a result, I'm not likely to buy headphones targeted prmarily at that. But if I were .....

Given that caveat, my next reservation is Kickstarter. Yes, there are Kickstarter (and similar) projects that have been rip-roaring successes and getting in early gets you a great deal. But, I'd bet for every such success there have been numerous 'sink without trace'. So, me investing in one would only occur if the item was off such interest that I was prepared to risk writing off £x in order to take a chance it wasn't one of the numerous flops, otherwise I'd wait and pay retail .... if it came to fruition. I did that with my coffee grinder - I got it about 2 years later than I could have, and at full retail, but at least at zero risk.

Do I want to add my bit of funding to the project suffciently to risk the loss. Not over either headphones or a coffee grinder. But many people did, on the grinder, and I wouldn't criticise that. They liked the concept enough to be willing to take the risk, and hopefully, help it to actually happen. I get that metal-heads, like coffee heads, might feel the same.

The engineer's background sure is encouraging, and I have Senn HD's too, and love 'em. Not quite as much as the Stax's, but then they sure aren't aimed at metal. What's not so clear is whether a really strong engineering background will be enough. It was for the grinder, but a world-class engineer might (or might not) be a hopeless business person and from my accounting days, I'd take a punt on far more businesses failing over lousy business practices than poor engineering.

And that, IMHO, would be the risk. Not whether Grell is capable of producing the technical product, but whether the team is capable of getting it to a commercial sucess, or at least, into enough units of production to fulfil Kickstarter commitments?

Do you want it enough to be prepared to take the punt? To risk losing the bet? I've been sorely tempted by a few Kickstarter projects, but not (yet) enough to actually take the risk. It might happen, but then, I'm pretty risk-averse, so it also might not.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

4. Received thanks from:

AGTDenton (07-02-2022)

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

They're not something I'd go for. In my experience the more processing you add like noise cancellation etc. the less good the sound, and heavy metal is one of the genres you generally don't need any active cancellation for anyway.

I also don't think heavy weight is going to do you any favours for gym work. It is quite possible to get lightweight wireless headsets that work great at the gym - where normally I don't mind not having the last word in sound quality anyway as I'm focused on other things. Something like Sennheiser HD 250BT which are £40 at most (£38 at john lewis currently) and amazingly light are a better match IMHO. What hifi 5 starred them: https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/sennheiser-hd-250bt

6. Received thanks from:

AGTDenton (09-02-2022)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

I do have a pair of classic "rock" headphones in a pair of Grado SR125. But I found after going to some hifi shows,that Planar magnetic headphones have fantastic bass - got a pair of Hifiman HE4XX for around £100 which sound fantastic for the price. I liked the sound of electrostatic headphones but they are too pricy now.

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    The engineer's background sure is encouraging, and I have Senn HD's too, and love 'em. Not quite as much as the Stax's, but then they sure aren't aimed at metal. What's not so clear is whether a really strong engineering background will be enough. It was for the grinder, but a world-class engineer might (or might not) be a hopeless business person and from my accounting days, I'd take a punt on far more businesses failing over lousy business practices than poor engineering.

And that, IMHO, would be the risk. Not whether Grell is capable of producing the technical product, but whether the team is capable of getting it to a commercial sucess, or at least, into enough units of production to fulfil Kickstarter commitments?
    Fully agreed, in the past I have read about some speaker engineers, that have worked for a leading company for 30+ years, going off to head oddball projects which don't come to fruition or they're so bad on release the engineer quietly steps away.

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    They're not something I'd go for. In my experience the more processing you add like noise cancellation etc. the less good the sound, and heavy metal is one of the genres you generally don't need any active cancellation for anyway.

I also don't think heavy weight is going to do you any favours for gym work. It is quite possible to get lightweight wireless headsets that work great at the gym - where normally I don't mind not having the last word in sound quality anyway as I'm focused on other things. Something like Sennheiser HD 250BT which are £40 at most (£38 at john lewis currently) and amazingly light are a better match IMHO. What hifi 5 starred them: https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/sennheiser-hd-250bt

This is probably most definitely the sensible option or those behind the head band style ones.
    I have found a cheap over ear one as that is my wearing preference and with that I could garner the weight, as you say quality in the gym isn't necessary, I think I'm just looking for an all rounder as best as possible.

I'm still tempted and there's a bit of time for the 2nd wave, but we'll see.

Thread Information