Thread: reccomend me a telly..

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks

reccomend me a telly..

as topic really.. i've currently got a 28" flat faced 100hz toshiba widescreen that i've had for 3 years.. time to retire it to the bedroom and get something bigger i think. i will be buying in precisely 7 weeks time (first big pay packet), and have a total budget limit of a grand, including all delivery etc.

now, i've kinda set my heart on this telly -> http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/conten...OS-36ZP48P.htm which is a bit below budget at the mo (not thats a problem).. i want a LARGE tv, and i think a crt is the best option - i dont want any screen burn hassle, and i've been led to believe that low-cost plasmas are naff..

tv doesnt need surround sound built in, but if not it needs aux out. i need a component in (cos i have a bloody expensive lead and nicish dvd player).. i'd like a few scarts if possible (ideally 5 but i dont think thats possible). i'd love picture-in picture or 2 screens one on each side, but i dont know if many boxes will do that.. other than that, i'll probably consider any large tv..

so reccomend away.. i will take all suggestions into account but it'd have to be special to beat that telly
    hughlunnon@yahoo.com | I have sigs turned off..

Thanks
    Just bought a Loewe Nemos and its a lovely piece of kit - I did really fancy the Aconda with the built in HDD but didn't have the space for anything bigger than the 28. A fair bit more expensive as well. I saw this one in the Sevenoaks in Edinburgh and it was tremendous.

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-...?reviewid=4282

Thanks
    buy my TV.. not from me buy it new. I paid £1800 which included delivery VAT and the big lovely glass stand (edit just checked and its dropped £50). If you aint got the quids.. save them and wait until you can afford it.

http://www.pc-doctor.eclipse.co.uk/i...p/Dsc02292.jpg

50" goodness

lol once again at the Vile wallpaper.

having said that, the 36" you have your eye on is an absolute stunner. Love the picture frame sets. Also, empiredirect I didn't find to be the cheapest. I've often purchased from them before, but this time for my TV they were beaten by several sites so be sure to check around before ordering.

http://www.digitalempireonline.co.uk...es&ModelID=103
    Last edited by Nana; 06-06-2005 at 11:09 PM.

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    to be honest, i dont want a flat set as i have the room for a non-flat set, and the picture quality is about as good for 2/3 the money (so i may as well save myself £500 and get a 'normal' box)..

i'm not fussed with hdtv either, cos chances are i'll replace the box in 3 or 4 years time, and get another when hdtv is popular

i've tried to find a bit more on loewes online, but they seem expensive for the size.. i know they're good, but i'm not sure i'd appreciate the quality increase over the toshiba considering the screen is an extra 4" and a bunch cheaper..

Thanks
    its not flat well the screen is dead 100% flat, but the set is rear projection and is about 14 maybe 16 inches deep. But your right £1000 is a lot of money.. I was gonna spend nearly 2800 on a 60" but for 10" £1000 didn't seem right. Save the extra K and use for an even bigger TV in 5years time.

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    I wouldn't go rear projection unless it's DLP (£2000+) and you've got a big room.

That Toshiba CRT will be fantastic
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    cheers for the support..

i'm pretty sure there is the cheapest for that tosh.. its about 1,400 in curries with a free dvd player (wooo, must be a good deal then..) or £800 without the surround sound, but i figure i may as well get rid of my creative setup and simplify the whole thing, specially as it isnt any more money

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-...52_WV_1004.pdf is a review for her..

btw, any guesses as to whether the shelves will be wide enough to fit boxes '2 wide'? i have a ps2, gamecube, dvd player, vhs and a ntl box to go under there..
    Last edited by 5lab; 07-06-2005 at 10:12 AM.

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    Possibly at a push
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    Loewe my man...just get a nice Loewe...AND be prepared to consider looking in Department Stores, because they are often priced similarly IF you have a good look around.

You normally have to wait for it to arrive, but a Loewe is the best.

AND its not often really flat...really flat is an illusion on lots of telly's

Its a curved screen with a lense in front to make it flat

My Loewe is the best telly I've ever seen at 32". I now trust Loewe , period.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    the trouble is, you spend a LOT more and get a lot less... i cant seem to find any 36" loewes and the 32" ones i can find are £800 + stand. and they dont even have component in! i agree that they are normally great, but i'm wondering if brand snobbery comes into it at all.. i've not seen a 36" box with better reviews than that toshiba..

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    agreed you have to go 32".

But I did it rather than a Tosh Strato and I'm still pleased I did

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    • iranu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene VI
      • CPU:
      • 4670K @4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Samsung Green
      • Storage:
      • 1x 256Gb Samsung 830 SSD 2x640gb HGST raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W Modular
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Silencio 352
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" DELL Ultrasharp U2312HM
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband
    Save up a bit longer.

e.g.

Panasonic TH37PW7 37" plasma here.

You would also require a JS Tech scart (RGB) to VGA converter (for best picture) @ £100 plus stand/wall mount @ £100. £1200 not bad.

Or better from AV Sales this 42" PW7 inc free stand or wall mount £1273.04. scart or component terminal board £50. So £1323.04 total.

Run sound through your hifi and use a freeview box £50+.

btw screen burn (with plasmas) is not an issue these days unless you're silly enough to leave black bars or a static image on a screen for say 10 hours.

You are right when you say low cost plasmas are naff, however, go to http://www.avforums.com/ and search pw7 in the plasma section . I have seen this screen properly set up at an independent dealers along with lots of others and the picture quality is superb. One of the best if not the best standard definition plasma screens available.
    "Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be." Frank Zappa. ----------- "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." Huang Po.----------- "A drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind", - Ride.

Thanks
    I thought it was common knowledge that the panasonic 36PD30 was the best 36" crt below £1000. I bought a tosh 36ZP48 as the panny was a bit too expensive (£1800 when i bought the tosh). You can now get em for below £1000!!

£799

You got the right idea with crt though imo there are some real dodgy cheap plasmas about nowadays

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    i dont really want a plasma, even i notice the quality isnt up to the scratch of a good crt, and i dont really want a panel - just dont like em for some reason..

kingy - how have you found the tosh?

Thanks
    The tosh is great. DVD picture quality excellent. SKY+ pic is not great but thats just SKY ( I hope!). I think I would still look at the panny if it was in my price range as it has more horizontal lines and supposedly even better picture quality....

Thread Information