Thread: Denon AVR-3805 7.1 Home Theatre Receiver

Loves duck, Peking Duck! bsodmike's Avatar
    Thanks
    • bsodmike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Misc.
      • CPU:
      • Mac Pro 2.8 GHz (8-cores) / iMac 2.8GHz C2D Extreme Edition / MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 & 13.3" 2.26 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR2 kits on all systems / FB ECC RAM in Mac Pro
      • Storage:
      • 320GB + 3x 1TB, Mac Pro / 500 GB, iMac / 2x 1TB & 2x 2TB WD My Book Studio II, via FW800 to Mac Pro
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB (two dual-link DVI ports / Mac Pro)
      • PSU:
      • Misc.
      • Case:
      • Misc.
      • Operating System:
      • Mac OS X 10.5 (Mac Pro) / Mac OS X 10.4.11 (others)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Apple 23" Cinema HD / Dell FPW2408 / iMac 24" display
      • Internet:
      • 2mbps ADSL (Mac Pro) / 512kbps WiMax (Wifi/MacBook Pro)

Denon AVR-3805 7.1 Home Theatre Receiver

Hey there guys

I just collected this puppy last night and tested it briefly. It is quite impressive, has tons of inputs and a plethora of options. I just wish the remote has the top plastic 'membrane' in black rather than in blue. >> Just looking at some PR shots and I think that this blue stuff might be a protective sticker sheet - must take a closer look later on!

Anyone else own this amp, any comments etc?

--Mike

Thanks
    Havn't got the 3805 But I have got the 2805 Cracking piece of kit the way its set up at the moment its used to drive centre rears & sub and as a preout for the fronts into a pair of Tag McLaren amps so when I play cds I dont have to use the Denon at all. cds Go from a Tag cd20 Into the Tag amps Straight into B&W Cdm 1 Se front Speakers. Htpc / Xbox ect Go into the Denon I'm Happy with it well untill the next upgrade hehehe.

Digitizer... ............

Thanks
    Great kit you both have! I envy you mightily!

My dad ordered a Denon 1906 yesterday, ok its not as good as your stuff but im still looking foward to it arriving (It got 5 stars in what lie-fi)

I myself have the Pioneer d1011 ( Elite 43tx for any american viewers) which I am very pleased with.

Thanks
    Not as good you say but what really matters is how much enjoyment you get from what you've got. I've had a lot of different set ups over the years some better some worse however I've enjoyed all of them. I have a mate who owns some serious hi end kit Mark Levinson power amps ect ect you wouldn't get any change from £45000.00 However does he enjoy it. Well yes to a point trouble is that it sounds absolutely out of this world with a great recording BUT & this is a big BUT 90% of recordings are far from great infact most cd's are so compressed they sound plain crap on high end gear. The result is my mate out of collection of about 2000 cds plays about 5 regularly. I on the other hand have about 600 cds & enjoy most of them regularly. So just enjoy what you've got HI-FI is just a means to an end & in the end its the enjoyment of music / Films that matters.

Digitizer.........

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb
    i would dearly love some very high end audio equipment, but thats really just because i love expensive electronic toys

Thanks
    • bsodmike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Misc.
      • CPU:
      • Mac Pro 2.8 GHz (8-cores) / iMac 2.8GHz C2D Extreme Edition / MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 & 13.3" 2.26 GHz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 320GB + 3x 1TB, Mac Pro / 500 GB, iMac / 2x 1TB & 2x 2TB WD My Book Studio II, via FW800 to Mac Pro
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Misc.
      • Case:
      • Misc.
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    Digitzer: Exactly . It's just that since I installed the DLS setup in my car, when I go back to my 'den' I really feel the grating of the Logitech Z680s that are currently installed...

My buddy Tom has I think 2x DM600s (might be 601s) in his room and OMG are they lovely. He also has a fairly old Marantz amp and a pretty beefy sub. That system is amazing and didn't cost anywhere as close as the stuff I got but apart from 'cost' alone, I guess I splurged a little on the cabling/digital leads. Also the AVR3805 has tons of inputs, something I really need considering the stuff I have in the room.

Also with things like PS2, a possible Xbox360 in the future - I can start using its video switching feature and have a dedicated 'AV' input to the TV linked to the 'Monitor' out on the amp.

Possibilities are endless and I'm really excited but I think once I get home it'll be at least 2 weeks or more before I can test out this system properly...

Thanks
    Hi Mike
    I took a quick look at you'r site nice one That really is some set up, had to show the wife ( she thought I was mad when I first put a computer in the car however she now thinks its great ) Hopefuly letting her see your set up will open the doors for a couple of upgrades I've been thinking about. ( hhhmmm well maybe ) I see in your sig you're running B&W speakers nice choice over the years I've had loads of different speakers brought em sold em But my B&W Cdm 1se's have stayed love em to bits. when I get new Speakers they get put up for a while then sure enough the new ones get sold & the cdm 1s come back out. Currently they are the fronts with a B&W centre B&W LM1s as surround & rears with a Rel Sub and this system along wth the tag amps Denon av amp ect still puts a stupid grin on my face! Its an addiction I'm sure you're going to have that same Stupid grin when you get it sorted mate

Have fun Digitizer.........

Thanks
    • bsodmike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Misc.
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Misc.
      • Case:
      • Misc.
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    Yea... a stupid grin is what I will probably have once it's all hooked up Actually a 'computer' in the car is one of my next mods - infact I'm on the look out for a 'goose neck' laptop stand that bots to the seat rails (so you don't damage the vehicle) and I plan to sit my 17" pbook inside it

What do you suggest for a sub? Right now I'm thinking of the ASW675 (Which costs £650...) simply cause I got the LCR600 and them B&Ws I should really do them justice and this is a 500W sub...not to mention extremely purdy!...

Thanks for your very nice post

--Mike

Thanks
    Hi Mike
    The pc in my car sits in the boot on a docking station in side a box I made. The docking station is connected to a gain 7" touch screen on the dash also a usb hub in the dash & connected to the car stereo so I still get volume control from the steering wheel. gps ect stay plugged Ive wired power & reset switches into the ash tray so they're hidden makes a neat job as long as you're not a smoker ! I'm really pleased with the set up when I go out I pop the boot drop the laptop on the dock close the lid takes all of 5 seconds jump in the car hit the power button bingo up & running. the touch screen works really well I've also got a tiny keyboard the size of the palm of you're hand just in case but rarely use it.

As for the Sub question I've recently heard the B&W PV1 expensive but "WOW!" what a sound great for music & movies & personally the looks I think are gorgeous ( depends on you're decor to weather it would fit in or not) but me Im saving up I want one. The sub you mention is also very good as are REL subs but the PV1 if you like the looks could well be worth a look don't tell her in doors how much it is & Im sure she'll like it dimunitive stature.

Digitizer.................

Thanks
    • bsodmike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Misc.
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Misc.
      • Case:
      • Misc.
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    How much does the PV1 retail for? over £1000?

Thanks
    Full retail is £950 inc vat however with a bit of research & haggling who knows what discount may be achieved you have to try hard to get decent discounts on B&W kit the retailers say they don't have to discount it because its so good, however Ive never paid retail for any hi-fi yet mate & I don't intend to start now.
    Digitizer.........

Thread Information