Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: unreals WHOLE A-Level Art work collection (56k=kbye)

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    tons of talent there. i never did art a-level, didn't agree with the fact some stuck up moron gets to judge your pictures and the grade you get is very much down to their tastes rather than your abilities. but you've certainly got abilities and should be credited accordingly well!
    some excellent stuff there, I notice the best [most of] your work is of objects and from photographs, commercial or taken yourself. I'm not sure what sort of thing they look for in art a-level but I'd suggest you have a crack at perhaps landscapes and/or buildings...just to show you have the breadth that they like to see, if everything is very much of one thing they might wonder whether you can do anything else. plus it shows that willingness to explore and learn further stuff they love, if you know how to play the game you can win every time...
    as far as water colouring goes - and I don't know what you've been told - but a good way to practice is doing a rough sketch and then paint it very lightly with watercolours. I used to doodle all over the place and started to colour them in, you learn quite well like that what works and what doesn't. another thing which I reckon you could easily manage - given your style - is using coloured pencils instead of lead/graphite...just give it a shot and see what happens, and don't press too hard! yeah at first you'll suck (mine did!!) but you've obviously got talent so I think you should give it a shot. if you use those water colour pencils then squooshing around with a wet brush after can blend the colours nicely...
    anyway, keep it up - being only one year's worth of work have you got another?
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Thanks
    Im impressed man ^ ^ i took art for my exams.. only school ones tho

That 1st piccy... id give her one tbh... ^ ^
    Quote Originally Posted by Noni
    What the hell does "WTH" mean

Thanks
    unreal,

VERY impressed - I mean seriously impressed. And rather envious, just as I am of capable musicians.

If it's of any consequence, my favourite is the single left hand in the book.

But, now, let me ask a question and, maybe, get a debate going.

A lot of people who have no artistic talent (I include myself among their number), are very sceptical about "modern" art - dead sheep, sharks, excreta, all the sort of stuff that (perhaps not surprisingly) the red-top newspapers sneer at.

The view (and it's my own to a considerable extent) is that for someone to be regarded as having genuine artistic talent, they must be able at least, to draw, paint or sculpt something with a high degree of accuracy (something we ourselves couldn't do).

If, like Picasso, you've earned your spurs so to speak, then it's reasonable to go on to create non-realistic work because, in effect, you're moving beyond mere "copying" and going on a journey of exploration - but one that you're well equipped to undertake.

So getting to the bottom line, do you think there any merit in that idea or do you think it immaterial how well the artist can draw, paint, sculpt or otherwise create life-like work, and that what they create should simply be judged on its own merits (how that judgement is made is another and perhaps related area for debate, mind)?

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Crabtree; 26-11-2005 at 05:34 AM.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb
    To me, the definition of "what is art" is very subjective. Obviously to some, the famous pieces in the Tate Modern are not art in any way, but to others (well their creators and the curators of the gallery) they obviously are.

What is the harm in defining half a cow in farmaldahide (sp?) as art? none that i can see. If that is what a few galleries are going to be known for and get people through the doors to see, even if it is too laugh at it, then great. Thats someone else that has at least been in a gallery, and they might just see something else that is a little less contraversial and like it.

I love art galleries. But i like very little of what i see in them (personally can't stand a lot of the classical stuff). The one in Aberdeen is pretty small, but has some nice exhibitions from time to time. I just find them great places to spend some time, very pieceful but also visually stimulating and thought provoking.

What is worse controversy over sheep, cows, sharks, unmade beds etc. or complete apathy?

Thanks
    • unreal's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel iMac 20" & Macbook
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR667
      • Storage:
      • 1TB 7200 Int + 1.5Tb Ext
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi Radeon 2400XT
      • PSU:
      • 95W or something?
      • Case:
      • Intel iMac 20" Aluminium
      • Operating System:
      • OSX Snow Leopard (Win 7 x64 on Macbook Bootcamp)
      • Monitor(s):
      • 20" @ 1680x1050 & 27" 1080p HDTV
      • Internet:
      • O2 10mb
    Quote Originally Posted by shiato storm
    tons of talent there. i never did art a-level, didn't agree with the fact some stuck up moron gets to judge your pictures and the grade you get is very much down to their tastes rather than your abilities. but you've certainly got abilities and should be credited accordingly well!
    some excellent stuff there, I notice the best [most of] your work is of objects and from photographs, commercial or taken yourself. I'm not sure what sort of thing they look for in art a-level but I'd suggest you have a crack at perhaps landscapes and/or buildings...just to show you have the breadth that they like to see, if everything is very much of one thing they might wonder whether you can do anything else. plus it shows that willingness to explore and learn further stuff they love, if you know how to play the game you can win every time...
    as far as water colouring goes - and I don't know what you've been told - but a good way to practice is doing a rough sketch and then paint it very lightly with watercolours. I used to doodle all over the place and started to colour them in, you learn quite well like that what works and what doesn't. another thing which I reckon you could easily manage - given your style - is using coloured pencils instead of lead/graphite...just give it a shot and see what happens, and don't press too hard! yeah at first you'll suck (mine did!!) but you've obviously got talent so I think you should give it a shot. if you use those water colour pencils then squooshing around with a wet brush after can blend the colours nicely...
    anyway, keep it up - being only one year's worth of work have you got another?
    Thanks much mate As for my GCSE Grades, well only a handful of people got B grades, no one got A. Also apparently most people did get good grades (I got an A) originally, but some huge controversal thing occurred where one of the top heads at the art marking people decideded that the examiner was being too generous, and decided that every grade he done be taken down at least by one mark - most people got taken down by two. The school appealed, but only 10 people, out of around 60-70 got a grade change... not including myself

As for watercolours, one reason why I'm so shoddy at them is because I hate them. In fact, I hate colouring my pictures, period, no matter whatever the method (except maybe photoshop lol). Every person for themself though, right I'm even worse at coloured pencils, makes me feel like a 4 year old

Yeah the 2nd Year I am doing right now. Some of it is coming along nicely, but our teacher is trying to steer more clear from drawing-based work I think as the majority of the class are better at colour-based pictures. But reguardless when the time comes I will post up the second year

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crabtree
    unreal,

VERY impressed - I mean seriously impressed. And rather envious, just as I am of capable musicians.

If it's of any consequence, my favourite is the single left hand in the book.

But, now, let me ask a question and, maybe, get a debate going.

A lot of people who have no artistic talent (I include myself among their number), are very sceptical about "modern" art - dead sheep, sharks, excreta, all the sort of stuff that (perhaps not surprisingly) the red-top newspapers sneer at.

The view (and it's my own to a considerable extent) is that for someone to be regarded as having genuine artistic talent, they must be able at least, to draw, paint or sculpt something with a high degree of accuracy (something we ourselves couldn't do).

If, like Picasso, you've earned your spurs so to speak, then it's reasonable to go on to create non-realistic work because, in effect, you're moving beyond mere "copying" and going on a journey of exploration - but one that you're well equipped to undertake.

So getting to the bottom line, do you think there any merit in that idea or do you think it immaterial how well the artist can draw, paint, sculpt or otherwise create life-like work, and that what they create should simply be judged on its own merits (how that judgement is made is another and perhaps related area for debate, mind)?

Bob
    Thats a tough question... I can understand the concept of one exploring beyond art, like Picasso, I mean if the world only had photorealistic drawings and scupltures then art would be incredibly boring, no doubt. But I myself, hate modern art. The only things I do like, are modern architecture, the modern themes of things (like minimalist tones, etc), that colourful style with paint splodges, circles, and vines (now used a lot on popular TV channels like Kiss) and digital abstract. Apart from that, I really have no respect (as in art wise, they have gained nothing from me) of those people who have paintings up in the Tate Modern. I can say that too, since I went there last week with my 6th form. I once mentioned in my art book that Art can be either something thats really impressive, or makes you stare or wander for massive amount of time. Or I guess it's something that can make a room look nice, like a massive frameless photograph of minimalist style of beach rocks or something in the living room. But I really can't see the art factor in some of the more revolting stuff thats shown. I'm not talking about body world (the dead preserved bodies), I actually think thats rather fascinating. I'm talking about one of many pictures in mind that I saw in the Tate. It was in the nude gallery, and its virtually one of the first paintings that meet you. It has a man, with his 'stuff' danging, in nasty exagurrated detail and colour. And surrounding this full body portait, is the 'stuff' drawn in much larger detail, in two different angles. So its basically a man sitting, leaning over, and two large over detailed and over exagurrated penis's surrounding him. Me and my friend just uttered how dirt it was.

I'm not trying to be over critical, and there are genuinely many artists out there who i look up to (I don't know any artists lol, just saying ) but my thresholds of what is acceptable in art and what's not are clear.

I guess I am VERY lucky for this talent I have, and I guess I noticed it when I was about 6 years old. But everyone has their own talents. And people who can make really good music I consider far far more skillful than I could ever be at art, since it really is not that hard to get good at drawing, and painting I assume. Sometimes when I am down, I read feedback I have got about my art from other places, or remember peoples faces when they see some drawings, and it makes me happy But I would never really do art for a career or study it further. In my mind, what is now accepted as art has greatly corrupted and I don't want to become a part of that. I might study it in Uni as a smaller course, but only because I am getting an A grade in A Level for it. Even then, I am not really considering it.

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by unreal
    As for watercolours, one reason why I'm so shoddy at them is because I hate them. In fact, I hate colouring my pictures, period, no matter whatever the method (except maybe photoshop lol). Every person for themself though, right I'm even worse at coloured pencils, makes me feel like a 4 year old
    I know exactly what you mean but seriously, you've obviously got the talent so just crack on with some basic coloured pencil stuff, I heav a feeling you'll crack it in no time