Thread: Ulead claims HD DVD authoring first for VideoStudio 10 Plus

Thanks

Ulead claims HD DVD authoring first for VideoStudio 10 Plus

The headline claim for the latest version of Ulead's VideoStudio - V10 due in early May - is that it's the first consumer video editing program able to author high-definition discs in the new HD DVD format (though the fact that this requires an optional extra - a yet-to-be launched "burning pack" - doesn't figure high in Ulead's publicity material nor the good news that it will be free) .

The program - running only on Windows 2000 SP4 and higher, including XP Pro x64 Edition - can, though, edit video from high-definition consumer HDV camcorders as standard. So, when HD DVD writers do finally turn up, users who've installed the burning pack will be able to create high-definition DVDs of their high-def footage where as, currently, they can only create standard-definition versions.

HDV footage uses a complex group-of-pictures MPEG-2 standard. Untangling that complexity usually means that editing is very slow and laborious unless using a very fast PC and getting assistance from an HDV-editing card. To try to work around the problem, V10 creates lower-res/non-MPEG-2 proxy versions of the captured files. Ulead claims - we suspect rather optimistically - that doing this makes the editing of HDV as easy as that of standard definition, even on mid-range machines.

More in this HEXUS.headline.

DR
    Thanks
    I wonder how many people actually buy these applications now? Meaning I know most of them launched as pro-sumers - but with the number of people with Digital Camcorders (myself included)... I am concerned as to who actually uses them and plays around with the content they have captured - I don't.... and if I did I wouldn't spend ages on it to be fair

Thread Information