Thread: SkyHD vs Telewest TVDrive

Registered+
    Thanks

SkyHD vs Telewest TVDrive

In the next month the significance of HDTv will be tested as "many" view the world cup. The word many is in quotes as it is only a lucky few who will be able to view in their home due to late installation and high demand.

I just want people to to give thier opinion on which will win. This is in terms of equipment, content, overall service, availability and future holdings but most importantly value for money.
    For Cable viewers only those belonging to the telewest band can receive HD via the TVDrive...NTL viewers have to wait a little longer. For cable the TVDrive is a big step, this is not only because of the ability to receive HD signals but it is the 1st PVR. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the well established Sky +.

It is shocking news to hear the latest deal Telewest/NTL has secured for their HD service. (all World Cup Games In HD) Will Sky retain its superiority or will we see things even out. Sky has its own movie and sport channels which cable viewers lack. It is easier for then to offer Movies and sports In HD. Also lets not forget Sky Box Office how will Teleport fair

Price is also a concern. With Telewest offering TV, Broadband and Telephone services that are competitive yet cheaper. However this could be an advantage to sky as it only has to concentrate with one thing those perfecting it.

The fact that Telewest offer broadband services.. we may see in the future a download section for those who of it customers with both TV and Broadband services..especially those on the upper tier 10MB broadband and HD customers or supreme package customers.

Reliability, How frequent will a cable viewer need to replace an eqipment compared to Sky? Which ahs better signal quality and reliability?

Dont worry I will sleep tonight!
    Last edited by kimgitz; 17-05-2006 at 08:58 PM.

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    Sky does have the advantage of being available to just about everyone in the country though, whereas Telewest/NTL is limited to only certain parts of the UK.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb
    there is no war to win. all players in the premium television market have their won audience and unique points.

Sky has a major advantage in that it is satelite and location independant as Stoo said. For instance, here in aberdeen (and i believe everywhere inscotland other than Glasgow and Edinburgh) we have Sky and terrestrial, that is all.

Sky also have the massive market recognition, marketing budget and brand. I was surprised when my cousin switched over to SkyOne when we were watching TV on ne NTL box.

Like sky has a great benefit of being satelite, cable has the benefit of being cable, something NTL/Telewest have been promoting heavily; telephone, internet and premium TV all in one package. They can not couple this with your mobile contract too. To some this is a big selling point. Others, not so much.

Thanks
    NTL's SD signal is pretty ropey as far as I'm concerned - very obvious low bitrate signal, causing major macroblocking in fast paced programming. When they can't get their SD signal right, I am doubtful over the quality of the HD signal.

I realise that the amount of HD customers in comparison to SD customers will be heavily limited, but I am still dubious - especially as HD gains popularity. I think Sky will win out in picture quality stakes, and great though PVR would be ( especially if you can get the files to PC for backup) HD is all about the PQ.

Thanks
    • Robert's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6X58D Premium
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 12GB Dominator 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 10TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GTX 480
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200
      • Case:
      • Corsair 800D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 HP Retail
      • Monitor(s):
      • Eizo SW110W+
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100Mb
    Telewest's SD signal is fine. I can't tell the different between it and Sky, I just think people are actively looking for faults which simply aren't there, probably to justify Sky's high rental costs. Also I am more than happy with the TVdrive box which was installed downstairs, it's amazing. I rate it much higher than our old Telewest box.

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    Now THAT'S interesting to hear; we've got a Pace Telewest box, and it's a shocking piece of kit - it practically wants to be in the fridge to not overheat, and the number of times the EPG is just "No programme information" until you restart it is HIGHLY annoying.

Registered+
    Thanks

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by nichomach
    Now THAT'S interesting to hear; we've got a Pace Telewest box, and it's a shocking piece of kit - it practically wants to be in the fridge to not overheat, and the number of times the EPG is just "No programme information" until you restart it is HIGHLY annoying.
    I too had a PACE SKY box which forced me to install a fan behind all the eqipment to cool it. You will find that sometimes the equipment fail but not all the time. However if u said that the equipment from one company is superior that counts. In my opinion they're just about level with Sky leading by a small margin.

Sky has a major advantage in that it is satelite and location independant as Stoo said.
    True however if you were in an area where you would receive both, which would you go for is really the question. show it's got the numbers but which ahs the quality and value for money. I could Sky could cover the entire globe but if the services were crap.....I'd rather settle with a small local comp that delivers and is cheap...Just a thought!

there is no war to win. all players in the premium television market have their won audience and unique points.
    Yes there is ask any of the executives from SKY or Telewest NTL...The company delivering the best HD all round services wins. If amjority of those who have a choice choose cable then Sky wont be happy coz it will be only a matter of time it reaches far and wide to those who dont have a choice and have to settle for Sky.

NTL's SD signal is pretty ropey as far as I'm concerned - very obvious low bitrate signal, causing major macroblocking in fast paced programming. When they can't get their SD signal right, I am doubtful over the quality of the HD signal.
    Well I have both Sky and Telewst...I have watched both on split screen to compare and honestly very hard to tell the difference. I asked a Film director to tell me which was sky and which was Telewest...He got it wrong...He has SKy at home...my sister how ever got it right she has freeview. Tried the test with 2 similar TV screen and that even made it dificult. We watched a movie from sky movies on both, BBC 24, E4...The thing is we all thought the images from freeview were better on some programmes that had slow moving images....but concluded that it is very rare occassions that the quality is big.

Would like to hear more opinions on this. I think that the Picture quality will be fairly level. It is a pity i cant have both SkyHD and TVDrive installed. also would love to use 2 plasma screens as well as split scren on one to compare. just as a note we discovered the sound quality from the sky box was better...louder??

I made up my mind to get the TVDrive becuse it was the only one that would be installed in time for the World Cup..I think buying into HD because of the world cup is not so clever as after the world cup "there better be more stuff"....However I simply couldn't wait and the idea of watching all the matches in HD was killing me...even when I cant watch them live I can always record them 4 later.

It will be installed on Tue 30th May.
    Last edited by kimgitz; 21-05-2006 at 05:57 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kimgitz
    Well I have both Sky and Telewst...I have watched both on split screen to compare and honestly very hard to tell the difference. I asked a Film director to tell me which was sky and which was Telewest...He got it wrong...He has SKy at home...my sister how ever got it right she has freeview. Tried the test with 2 similar TV screen and that even made it dificult. We watched a movie from sky movies on both, BBC 24, E4...The thing is we all thought the images from freeview were better on some programmes that had slow moving images....but concluded that it is very rare occassions that the quality is big.
    Whilst I am not trying to deny that what you say is true, NTL and Telewest are not the same company with regards to services. Their merger is far too recent to have an effect on the gear they provide, and the quality. I have lived in 3 different areas in Glasgow, each with NTL. Their analogue signal was great. Their digital is not so great. Whilst I don't have Sky to compare to, my parents and some freinds do, and I find that the PQ on Sky is far superior to NTL.

I also know that I can't base my current experiences on what I have seen with NTL, as HD will be a totally new service. I find NTL's 10mb service to be great, and constantly get 1100k+ when downloading, but I'm not convinced bandwith is the issue - low bitrates and on-the-fly encoding are. Though it'll be a standard def signal, I'll take a jpeg of a Dr Who still, and you'll see what I mean (if I can).

Basically, all I'm trying to say is that I'm dubious that NTL can create a service that will really do HD justice.

Registered+
    Thanks
    I had the luck to get hands on SKY+HD...a friend just got it installed. I am more than impressed with its design. I had a few hours with it and was like the world is ending for me and my TVDrive friends. But the outside is not important its what it does. The interface is pretty much the same as with sky plus with a few additions. I'll be back there this weekend 4 a BBQ if the weather allows...will have more time with it. Want to compare more stuff.

Update 02 June 2006
    Was very impressed with skyHd content wise. currently there is only one HD channel that provides HD for telewest customers. (Infact it mostly shows previews of movies, documentaries etc in HD). thats all very good to see the previews but how exactly are we meant to watch HD movies for instance. On the other hand Sky has two HD movie channels which show an impressive collection of HD movies....some of which are upscaled but none the less they have content.

You can get a variety of content from telewest VOD but you have to pay for them

I guess it would be worse for us telewest customers but we still do have the whole "Watch all the World cup games in HD" but is that enough to keep us happy. I am not sure what is going to happen after the World Cup.
    I Talked to guyz in telewest and they say that content will increase post the World Cup.

On the other note Telewest have improved with the latest update. So far I have managed to recod a few series links with no problem. I have not yet experienced a crash.
    Actually It works great.
    Last edited by kimgitz; 02-06-2006 at 08:06 AM.

Thread Information