Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What you think of the Sony A100 ?

Amateur photographer Hans Voralberg's Avatar
    Thanks

What you think of the Sony A100 ?

So far the previews/reviews are quite impressive, and I like the Dynamic Range Optimizer, seems to produce pretty good range (well what i've seen on TrustedReviews at least). What you guys think ? Worth putting on the watch list ?

Also any1 know how good are konica minolta lense are ? Seems like their price is crashing and that might be a cheap way to get a decent collection of lense (if i decide to go with the sony)
    Primary kit:
    Fuji S5 Pro - Nikkor AF 50/1.8 - Nikkor AF 85/1.8
    Epson RD-1

Film Kit:
    Leica M3 - Summicron 50/2 DR - Zeiss ZM 25/2.8 - M-Rokkor 40/2

Olympus OM2n - Zuiko 50/2 Macro - Zuiko 50/1.4 - Zuiko 35/2.8

Thanks
    it looks very good indeed. has the same sensor as the d200 so that's a good start. the anit static and image stabilisation sound good too. i'm not sure KM have many good lenses above 300mm but then they cost a fortune anyway so it may not bother you. supposedly the ergonomics are good too.

Thanks
    Im looking @ the 30D and the only reason I want a Canon is the high ISO performance, I need to shoot alot in low-light, dark condition so it'll be godsend . But the A100/D200 is mighty tempting for not too expensive price
    Primary kit:
    Epson RD-1

Film Kit:

Thanks
    For those of us living under a rock what is a Sony A100?
    Bored of the old one, new one coming soon

Thanks
    New Sony DSLR, based on Konica Minolta design.
    Primary kit:
    Epson RD-1

Film Kit:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans Voralberg
    Im looking @ the 30D and the only reason I want a Canon is the high ISO performance
    I thought high ISO performance was the province of Nikon (Sony CCDs I believe?)?

Thanks
    Afaik Canon has the least noise from ISO 800 upward. Surprisingly the Nikon D50 have very little noise @ ISO 800, i dont know why Have seen the D70 and D200 pics @ 800, fairly noisy, but more like grain than noise.
    Last edited by Hans Voralberg; 10-06-2006 at 12:12 PM.
    Primary kit:
    Epson RD-1

Film Kit:

Thanks
    some argue it's because nikon use less agressive sharpening algorithms than canon. there fore have a better resolution in the shots, but more noise. you can always use noise reduction software gently the d50 does indeed have very good noise control at higher isos compared to the d70. the d200 looks to be similar i thought. but then the 1d's are in a different league

Thanks
    Also I dont really like Nikon commitment to ASP-C sensor, when full-frame drop in price later on that would be way more fun. Though all the vigneting and stuff come in as well lol
    Primary kit:
    Epson RD-1

Film Kit:

Thanks
    other than noise and slightly better control of bokeh you get with full frame i'm really not that interested. my sigma 10-20 is excellent and provides the equiv of 15mm which is horrendously wide. if i need wider the nikon 10.5m fisheye that i borrow of a mate sometimes does the job, tho it's more of a novelty. i could never afford the longer lenses i'd like for sports without a 1.5x crop factor.

they really are 2 different formats, each with benefits that willl probably live happly side by side.

Thanks
    The 10Mp sensor in the A100 supposedly is less noisy than it's implementation in the D200.
    KM glass can hold upto any equivalent from CaNikon etc.plus there is decent 3rd party (Sigma, Tamron, Tokina etc.) glass.

& of course it is all stabilised on an A100

Supposedly there is a 7D replacement to come end of the year (A100 is 5D replacement) & then rumours of a FF next year ...

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Dianeal/Extraneal/Physioneal hoodmeister's Avatar
    Thanks
    preview gallery up at dpreview here. Apparently their copy had metering issues, so had to go back.

Looks like a darn nice peice of kit to me. Not too fussed on how the build quality looks - but that's hard to judge without actually giving it a whirl.

Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable buying into a Sony branded SLR system. That's not just Sony hate - the future is just too unpredictable.

At the moment we're looking at a very functional camera. What happens if a couple of years down the line the Sony branding takes more of a hold, and we start to see style over practicality? And all at a hefty premium? Chuck into the mix Sony's insatiable urge to throw memory sticks at everything, and their often silly software, and I just don't like the prospects.

If after a few years they're still making practical cameras, then I'd consider them a serious player. Till then I'll just be keeping a beady eye on them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hoodmeister
    At the moment we're looking at a very functional camera. What happens if a couple of years down the line the Sony branding takes more of a hold, and we start to see style over practicality? And all at a hefty premium? Chuck into the mix Sony's insatiable urge to throw memory sticks at everything, and their often silly software, and I just don't like the prospects.
    They've inherited/re-employed a design team with probably the best reputation for user friendly ergonomics & it looks like at least for the moment that they are listening to them (yes, there is a memory stick adapter but it's mainly CF).
    People that have handled it say that it probably improves on the 5D in the build & handling & as well as performance & they were already very high for an entry level DSLR.

& I forgot to mention the Zeiss lenses coming earlier as well (& let's not forget theat Sony are a major shareholder in Tamron too).
    Of course as a Minolta SLR user for over 25 years I admit to a bit of bias but I'm quite optimistic - Minolta made great kit but their marketing & sales side let them down & that's an area where Sony are very strong.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750

Dianeal/Extraneal/Physioneal hoodmeister's Avatar
    Thanks
    I'm not saying that it doesn't have an awful lot going for it - I'm just dubious over what Sony will be doing in the future.

Canon put a lot of marketing behind the 350D // Digital Rebel as being a fun, stylish camera - that undoubtedly netted them a lot of extra sales. Sony is king of that sort of thing, and I wouldn't be surprised if in the future they capitalised on it, perhaps in a more agressive manner.

If you already have a backlog of Minolta kit then this (and the 7D's succesor) will undoubtedly be great cameras for you. I'm just not so sure it's such a great idea to switch from another system, or start out with this one.

Thanks
    I'm just not so sure it's such a great idea to switch from another system, or start out with this one.
    To switch from another system if heavily invested in another I agree, no but as a starter I would say it's a good 1.
    Of course if you are 1 of the minute % that need some really esoteric lens then probably only CaNikon may have it but then you are unlikely to be looking at a £500 body ...

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750

Thanks
    You address all the point that makes me throw a doubt @ the A100 . Zeiss glass is to be honest quite tempting as their quality is just so good. I think that ridiculously expensive accessories are inevitable if you go with Sony, but then Nikon's or Canon's are not exactly cheap either. (me looking forward to a Canon 30D)
    Primary kit:
    Epson RD-1

Film Kit:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information