Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yorkshire Airshow 2006 (long, many pics)

Thanks

Yorkshire Airshow 2006 (long, many pics)

I've been looking forward to today for ages, yesterday the weather was dreadful but today was perfectly acceptable airshow weather.

Highlight of the day was a formation of 3 spitifre in formation. There were several veteran WWII spitfire pilots there and they flew a salute that was returned by the senior veteran. They also flew the missing man formation (3 planes fly past then one pulls back hard and leaves) to commemorate all those who never came back. It's good to see the RAF still remembers and was rather moving.

The RAF Falcons parachute display team were also there and as good as always. They set out to prove that anything the Red Arrows can do they can do better.

Elvington has it's own Hunter which is pretty cool.

Next up is the Douglas Dakota, complete with loadmaster waving from the rear door. Apparently in WWII one Dakota pilot won a VC, something of a rarety for a transport pilot. He made the first run drop of paras and got shot badlyy, the plane was also on fire but he went round for the second run anyway. After dropping the equipment and food for the paras he ordered the rest of the crew out and died when the plane crashed. Incredible.

Recently retired (July) from RAF service we have the Canberra, a great aircraft that's been around for over 50 years.

Not to be outdone by the RAF, the Blue Eagles were there for the Army Air Corps. Unfortunately their flying (man these guys can fly) was better than my photography so just a shot of the Lynx from their display.

Last from the pics we have the Blades. These guys are a new aerobatics team and consist of 3 former Red Arrows pilots and 1 world class aerobatics instructor. They are nothing short of incredible, they fly Extra 300s which are VERY manouverable and as one of them is the test pilot for Extra Aviation they know them pretty well. I've seen a fair few aerobatic teams over the years but these guys are something else. If you ever get the chance to see them I'd advise you to take it, you won't regret it.

There was more but my back was killing me by that point so I beat a retreat back to the car. Next time I must remember to take a chair! I missed the simulated bombing run by the Dakota as I had a telephoto on not a wide angle. I can tell you that half a dozen barrels of avgas (avpin? avtur?) exploding makes one HELL of a noise and frightened the life out of everyone, more than one kid curled up on the ground in terror! The noise of several dozen car alarms set off by the explosion was also fairly loud

All in all a great day out and I'm glad I went.

I've realised that 300mm is really the minimum lens for an airshow and 500mm would have been nice at times but I think I did ok, all pics were taken with the Sigma 70-300 APO.

Thanks for reading this far and I hope you like the pics, as usual any comments/lessons in photoshoppery are more than welcome.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb
    Incredible photos man

Thanks
    • Nick F's system
      • CPU:
      • 2.4Ghz C2D
      • Memory:
      • 4GB
      • Storage:
      • 320Gb internal / 750Gb external
      • Case:
      • Apple iMac
      • Operating System:
      • Mac OSx
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24inch
      • Internet:
      • 8mb BE connection
    Glad to see the Sigma performed well in those conditions. I have been thinking about going to an air show soon.

Thanks
    I went to the York maize maze today (think this is the same thing), and say some helicopters do some stuff like in your 7th pic. This was from a distance though .

Your 2nd pic looks like a little toy plane .

Splash
    Wow - some cracking shots there man. You're getting better with the skies, but then they do say practice make perfect!

Thanks
    • da_ging's system
      • CPU:
      • E5200 @ 3.75Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB kingston HyperX 8500
      • Storage:
      • 2*WD640gb in Raid 0 +500gb 32mb seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG GTX 260 Maxcore OC2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650w TX
      • Case:
      • Stacker 831 black
      • Operating System:
      • XP Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" fujitsu 3230t LCD 1920*1080
      • Internet:
      • 8mb
    top shots , should of been going to the show aswell but the weather looked so crap over here that it put us off

Thanks
    • Grey M@a's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K (With H100i cooling)
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, 1TB Cavier Black WD HD, 4TB Cavier Black WD HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390X Gaming Edition 8GB
      • PSU:
      • SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 850W Fully Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG 24GM77-B 144Hz
      • Internet:
      • 100MB Virgin Media Cable
    all i want to say is what camera and what lenses

Thanks
    Cheers guys, I was rather pleased with those ones

Grey M@a: Nikon D50 with Sigma 70-300 APO for all of them. I hate changing lenses outdoors, too many dust bunnies. Hopefully Santa will do a deal with me on part payment towards the Nikkor 18-200 VR2 which will cover pretty much everything except for extreme telephoto

Thanks
    • Grey M@a's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG 24GM77-B 144Hz
      • Internet:
    Thing is I am a motorsport nut and you can imagine the frustration I go through trying to get a decent photo of a superbike or touring car winging past with a Fuji3500 zoom :'(

I am basically at croft for anything that involves cars and bikes all year round so after a decent camera and lense so I can get close up shots of the bikes/cars. So how much would a decent setup for motorsport cost me *hides in fear of the wallet running off*

Thanks
    I am basically at croft for anything that involves cars and bikes all year round so after a decent camera and lense so I can get close up shots of the bikes/cars. So how much would a decent setup for motorsport cost me *hides in fear of the wallet running off*
    Define "Decent", you could spend 10k on a single lens if you really wanted to.

Back in the real world, to get pretty much exactly the same setup (minor difference in the Sigma lens) would cost you £509.99 from Jessops. It's certainly enough to keep me happy and enjoying photography.

For some autograss shots with that lens check out this thread.

Thanks
    • Grey M@a's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG 24GM77-B 144Hz
      • Internet:
    Thats the type of thing I'm after. If I could get that on finance I would be well sorted but after the monthly bills and getting to work and back I couldn't afford £500+ there and then Will keep me eyes open though

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    Quote Originally Posted by GDVS
    Apparently in WWII one Dakota pilot won a VC, something of a rarety for a transport pilot. He made the first run drop of paras and got shot badlyy, the plane was also on fire but he went round for the second run anyway. After dropping the equipment and food for the paras he ordered the rest of the crew out and died when the plane crashed. Incredible.
    Flt. Lt. David Lord VC.

The incident occurred during attempts to resupply the 1st Airborne Division during Operation Market Garden; the division had been forced off the designated resupply points, and hemmed into a small enclave surrounded by German troops and antiaircraft guns.

On Tuesday 19th, while on the final approach to the drop zones and only three minutes away from them, heavy anti-aircraft fire tore into the wave of slow moving supply aircraft. Lord's plane received two hits on the starboard wing and the engine on that side burst into flames. At such a low height there was no way to extinguish such a fire, and so the only real option in such a situation would be to abandon the attempt to drop supplies and bail out before the fuel tanks exploded. However Lord refused to do so, and kept flying true and steady to make sure he dropped his supplies on target. With his aircraft clearly in dire trouble, Lord was singled out for attention by most every German anti-aircraft gun in the vicinity. He continued on his path and reached the drop zone. After completing his run, Lord was informed by his calm and highly disciplined crew (three RAF personnel and four Army despatchers) that two canisters of supplies still remained. Lord turned the aircraft around for a second pass over the dropping zone, still under intense fire. When all the supplies were at last dropped, and the aircraft had descended to the perilously low height of only 500 feet, Lord cried to his men "Bail out! Bail out! For God's sake, bail out!", while making absolutely no effort to do so himself. A few seconds later, the starboard wing exploded and the plane crashed in flames into the ground, just north of the Reijers-Camp farm on LZ-S. There was only one survivor, Flying Officer Harry King, who was blown out of the side door when the engine exploded. King himself landed in no man's land between the British and Germans, but he managed to find the 10th Battalion and stayed with them until eventually captured.

The sight of Lord's crippled aircraft was witnessed by troops on the ground, who were so mesmerized by this single plane that they stood up in their trenches to will it on. They were all highly moved, in some cases to tears, by this tremendous display of courage and self sacrifice on their behalf. With flames licking wildly under the fuselage, many men were pleading with the crew to jump, but they would not, and instead the despatchers were seen to be continually throwing out more supply containers until the wing collapsed.

From the point that the engine caught fire to the moment of the crash, Flight Lieutenant Lord flew his Dakota, steadily while under very heavy anti-aircraft fire, for a total of 8 minutes. For his suicidal bravery and single-minded determination to get the supplies to those who needed it, David Lord was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross. The great tragedy of this story was that the supply dropping zones had been overrun by German troops. Due to the radio blackout, the RAF knew nothing of this, and so David Lord and his men gave their lives desperately trying to drop cargo that would end up in the hands of the enemy.

Thanks
    Fantastic photographs there, well done.

Thanks
    Wow, great pics.

Any chance of a high-res version of the first one? Would look good as wallpaper (1680x1050 or higher would be sweet )

Cheers,
    Stephen

Thanks
    Thanks, never been asked for a hi-res one before

http://www.yorkshiregeek.co.uk/image...spit2hires.jpg

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GDVS
    Thanks, never been asked for a hi-res one before

http://www.yorkshiregeek.co.uk/image...spit2hires.jpg
    Thanks, looks excellent

Stephen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast