Thread: 5.1 Receiver and Speakers

Thanks

5.1 Receiver and Speakers

I've currently got a LCD TV, DVD and Xbox 360 but I'm looking at getting a surround setup for it. As far as I know, all I need is a home cinema receiver and 5.1 speaker kit.

All I want to use it for is watching DVD's in surround and also playing the 360 in surround and listening to music either streamed from the 360 or played from the DVD.

The receiver needs to have at least 2 optical inputs, I wouldn't mind wireless speakers as it saves the hassle of running and hiding cables, but are there any good wireless sets?

I've seen a Panasonic SC-HT15 (not wireless) which looks it will do the job but I don't really know what I'm looking for, I don't want anything state of the art, just something basic and reliable.

Can anyone suggest some good kits or seperates and let me know exactly what I need?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    The only wireless sets I've seen are not true wireless - each speaker is wired, it's just that the rears have a wirless box they connect to, which then wirelessly connects to the amp where the front/centre/sub connect.

What budget are you looking to spend & are you looking to go HD any time soon, such as with the upcoming 360 HD-DVD drive? If so, HD formats feature new versions of DTS & DD5.1 so it might be worth investigating compatible receivers.

I've heard good things about Logitech's Z5500 (I think) which are obviously budget end of the scale, clocking in about £200, which are standard 5.1 sepakers. I'm sure someone else can probably give a proper recommendation though.

Thanks
    Yeah, I will be looking to go HD when it's available, I'm not looking to get anything yet and probably won't be ready until sometime after christmas so I'm just after a rough idea for budgeting reasons. I'll put a max budget of £500.

Wireless for the back speakers is all I'm after really, are wireless speakers reliable? Is the sound quality any different?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GFiSH
    Yeah, I will be looking to go HD when it's available, I'm not looking to get anything yet and probably won't be ready until sometime after christmas so I'm just after a rough idea for budgeting reasons. I'll put a max budget of £500.
    Good plan to wait then - get something with HD audio support too.

Quote Originally Posted by GFiSH
    Wireless for the back speakers is all I'm after really, are wireless speakers reliable? Is the sound quality any different?
    Can't help I'm afraid - all my stuff is wired. Maybe someone else can help, or you could take a look at one of the home cinema magazine websites for some details.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinleech
    ...or you could take a look at one of the home cinema magazine websites for some details.
    Have you got any links for these?

Thanks

Thanks
    Ok thanks for that Skinleech

Thread Information