Thread: H80i Pump whine

Thanks

H80i Pump whine

I recently swapped out my loudest case fan to try and make my system quieter but now I can hear the pump whining, it's pretty loud and can be heard from a couple of metres away in an otherwise quiet room, is this normal / is there a fix for it? I've had this cooler for a few weeks now and haven't been able to hear it over other fans, but now it's fairly distracting.

Thanks

Spreadie

Re: H80i Pump whine

I thought my H100i pump was whining - turned out to be the stock fans. I put a couple of SP120 Quiet Edition fans in there and enjoyed the sound of (relative) silence. The stocks fans are still in my rig, just not butted up to the rad (which is what caused the whine) - I use them as intake/exhaust fans, with the RPMs dialled down a fair bit.
    Last edited by Spreadie; 28-07-2014 at 02:51 PM. Reason: clarity

Thanks
    • Kovoet's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG crosshair Hero VIII x 2
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Viper 3733mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 980 pro 500GB Samsung 850 512GB,Samsung 860 1TB SSD & 950 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte RTX3070Ti, EVGA RTX 3060Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200i, RMX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 680x
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Tuf VG32VQ1B
      • Internet:
      • 1GB Virgin

Check the seating of the fan which can cause this. Also as spreadie says try the sp120 out
    JABULANI NONKE

Thanks

Sorry, I didn't specify that I've swapped out the SP120L that came with the H80i with a FD Silent Series R2 - I know it's not the best pressure optimised fan but it's sufficient and it's quiet. Other than that fan which runs at <800RPM. I've got two Bitfenix spectre 120mm 800RPM fans which are also silent and a Corsair PSU fan, which is silent too. My HDD is a WD Green drive, which is pretty silent and my GPU fans are off. I've also tried unplugging the SATA power connector to the pump for a second and the it goes completely silent - it's literally the only audible part in my PC at idle ^^

Spreadie

RMA time, by the sound of it (pardon the pun).

Corsair Rep
    Thanks

Check your pump speed, it's possible that its running slower or faster than it should. The pump should be around 2200rpm.

Also, try tilting your case on its side and see if the noise changes, it could be air trapped in the loop as well. If the noise doesn't go away, as spreadie suggested, RMA would be your next step.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post
    Check your pump speed, it's possible that its running slower or faster than it should. The pump should be around 2200rpm.

Also, try tilting your case on its side and see if the noise changes, it could be air trapped in the loop as well. If the noise doesn't go away, as spreadie suggested, RMA would be your next step.

As far as I remember it was around 2200RPM, maybe 2300. I'm away at the moment but I'll try tilting it when I get back, I'm fairly sure I've had it tilted a fair bit since installing the h80i. Thanks for the advice guys

Thread Information