Thread: 8GB Voyager doesn't work under Linux?

Registered+
    Thanks

8GB Voyager doesn't work under Linux?

Hello Corsair folks,

I just bought an 8GB Voyager from Scan, and am having no joy using it under Linux.

I got redirected from the Scan hexus forum (sorry, no link - I can't post URLs as a new member)

Here's what I did:

1) I re-partitioned the drive (in Linux) as soon as I got it
    2) formatted one of the partitions as reiserfs
    3) tried to write a whole load of data to it.

This seemed to work fine (although step 3 was pretty slow). However afterwards, every time I plug the drive into a Linux machine I am getting:

usb 1-1: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd lsusb rqt 128 rq 6 len 255 ret -71
    usb 1-1: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd lsusb rqt 128 rq 6 len 10 ret -71
    usb 1-1: reset full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
    usb 1-1: device not accepting address 2, error -71
    usb 1-1: device not accepting address 2, error -71
    usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
    usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 2
    1:0:0:0: scsi: Device offlined - not ready after error recovery

And the USB mass storage device can't even be accessed. Sometimes I see a device called "ID 067b:2528 Prolific Technology, Inc." showing up on my USB bus, but not always. And the 'lsusb' command can take a couple of minutes to complete.

I've tried this on seperate physical machines, different distributions, different Linux kernels and both 32 & 64-bit hardware - always getting errors like the above. My main machine is Ubuntu 8.04.1. I can use other USB mass storage devices without trouble.

I have tried the Corsair "EzRecover" from a windows machine, but it doesn't detect the Voyager. I can read and write to the FAT32 partition from Windows.

So, my questions are:

A) have I screwed anything up by re-partitioning? e.g., does the wear-levelling code need to understand the partition table and filesystem? Or can I really just treat the device like a big block of bytes?

B) is this device even supposed to work under Linux (c'mon, it's just USB mass storage, right?)

C) Should I be getting an RMA, and if so, from who (scan or Corsair)?

Thanks!
    Pete

Thanks

Re: 8GB Voyager doesn't work under Linux?

I have no experience with these devices under Linux. I'd suggest you use our forum and try these 2 links. RAM GUY will get you sorted.

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=62742

If that fails, make a post for RAM GUY in the FLASH section: http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=171

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks for such a quick reply.

I've followed the rescue disk fdisk partition procedure. This erased the partitions that I'd previously created, but hasn't enabled the drive to be detected under Linux - I still get the same device timeout / USB reset errors that I described previously.

I'll post a message for RAM GUY like you suggest.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
    Thanks for such a quick reply.

I'll post a message for RAM GUY like you suggest.
    You are welcome and sorry I could not be of more assistance. RAM GUY knows more about Linux so he will be able to assist you better.

Registered+
    Thanks

RAM Guy said (in this post):

There is no issue with Linux and there never was, it was just that a newer kernel had some issue that has been solve with a Kernel update and a firmware change at our end. But if you have this problem let's try and replace the drive and go from there.
    So I've got an RMA and shipped it off to your service centre in the Netherlands for a replacement.

I think Corsair's customer care (both you & RAM guy) have been outstanding. However from a manufacturing / QA perspective it's pretty shabby that Corsair claims Linux support in the product info page yet are shipping Voyagers that don't work with any Linux released in the past ~2 years! (I guess it's possible I was given a 2-year old part from scan.co.uk, but I doubt it).

I've spent a lot of time on this issue, totally disproportionate to the £20 it originally cost. I'd have been far better off dumping my unopened Voyager in the bin and buying a different brand!

But again, thanks for the support & apologies for not posting in the correct sub-forum.

Thread Information