• Antec Nine Hundred Two
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2005FPW & SyncMaster T240HD
      • Internet:
      • 20mb Virgin

Dominator + Rampage Formula combo

So to start with I used 2x1gb of the XMS2 PC-6400 (guaranteed to run at 1066mhz/2.1v/C5.5.5.15) in my Rampage Formula. I ran this for about a year with no problem at all. I then upgraded to 2x2gb of the same stuff and was unable to boot into windows @ 1066mhz. So I left it at 800mhz and after about a month vista started BSOD'ing regularly which lead me to running memtest86+ which revealed 1000's of errors on one of the modules. So I RMA'd both sticks and bought another 2x2gb of the same RAM in preparation to use 8gb. These 2 sticks ran fine for a week including a heavy session of gaming at a LAN party under 1066mhz/2.2v/C5.5.5.15. I then receive my other 2 modules and plop them in. After running for 2 days at 1066mhz/2.2v/C5.5.5.15 my PC crashes with a similar memory BSOD but memtest turns up 0 errors.

The main query is, why does my system remain unstable souly because of my RAM (even though it's clocked at it's normal 800mhz) when I overclock my CPU to 3.2ghz? It refuses to run games and crashes soon after playing.

Yippee Ki Yay!
    Thanks
    • Kev32's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Rampage Formula x48
      • CPU:
      • Core2 Q9450 OC'd 3.2ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB XMS2 PC-8500 @ 1066mhz
      • Storage:
      • 750gb Spinpoint + 1.5tb EcoDrive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon HD4890
      • PSU:
      • CoolerMaster 850w Modular
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred Two
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 20mb Virgin

Re: Dominator + Rampage Formula combo

It looks like the cause was a faulty 2gb module from the ebuyer pair. Is corsair able to explain faults in RAM that cause hangups on post (i.e PC won't boot at all, apart from power) yet manage to pass memory tests without any fails?

Thanks

I suppose someone could examine it in the lab and figure out specifically what the issue is if we needed to. As far as memory tests, no memory testing program is 100% accurate.

Yippee Ki Yay!
    Thanks
    • Kev32's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Rampage Formula x48
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon HD4890
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred Two
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 20mb Virgin

I'm afraid I cannot rate the Dominator 2064mb XMS2 C5D RAM very higly. I am on my 3rd pair of the stated RAM and it refuses to run effiecently at 1066mhz. My friend who has the same RAM is having the EXACT same problems as me.

My suggestion for future buyers of the dying DDR2 brand is to just get the slightly cheaper PC6400 brand and avoid problems.

Registered+
    Thanks

i have to say i havet had any error at all on my dommintors, there the 2gb x2 and i have managed to oc to 3.6 on a q9540, there has been one occasion were my pc wouldnt boot after replacing a psu, but i just reseated the ram and all was fine, has anyane got the ddr3 domminator, i thinking of getting there for my next build

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kev32 View Post
    I'm afraid I cannot rate the Dominator 2064mb XMS2 C5D RAM very higly. I am on my 3rd pair of the stated RAM and it refuses to run effiecently at 1066mhz. My friend who has the same RAM is having the EXACT same problems as me.

My suggestion for future buyers of the dying DDR2 brand is to just get the slightly cheaper PC6400 brand and avoid problems.
    It's rare to ever get 2 bad sets of memory from us consecutively. So, if you have had 3 my guess is that there is some issue other than the RAM.

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev32 View Post
    So to start with I used 2x1gb of the XMS2 PC-6400 (guaranteed to run at 1066mhz/2.1v/C5.5.5.15) in my Rampage Formula.
    You do realise that PC6400 is 800Mhz not 1066? Also XMS2 is the memory in the black & purple heatsinks isnt it, not the black and blue massive heatsinks present on the Dominator range.
    I ran this for about a year with no problem at all. I then upgraded to 2x2gb of the same stuff and was unable to boot into windows @ 1066mhz. So I left it at 800mhz and after about a month vista started BSOD'ing regularly which lead me to running memtest86+ which revealed 1000's of errors on one of the modules. So I RMA'd both sticks and bought another 2x2gb of the same RAM in preparation to use 8gb.
    Would appear to be a DIMM problem as you stated.

These 2 sticks ran fine for a week including a heavy session of gaming at a LAN party under 1066mhz/2.2v/C5.5.5.15. I then receive my other 2 modules and plop them in. After running for 2 days at 1066mhz/2.2v/C5.5.5.15 my PC crashes with a similar memory BSOD but memtest turns up 0 errors.
    To the best of my knowledge Dominator memory is rated at 2.1v not 2.2v as you've stated so you could of fried the modules yourself, by running out of specification.
    The main query is, why does my system remain unstable souly because of my RAM (even though it's clocked at it's normal 800mhz) when I overclock my CPU to 3.2ghz? It refuses to run games and crashes soon after playing.
    So actually what memory have you got? Your title is Dominator & Rampage yet it would appear your using the XMS2 and running it out of specification by adding a 266Mhz overclock and between .3 & .4 over-volt ? Atleast thats what ive made of it.
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Yippee Ki Yay!
    Thanks
    • Kev32's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Rampage Formula x48
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon HD4890
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred Two
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 20mb Virgin

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/4GB-%...ered-CAS-5-EPP

That is the stuff I've been buying from ebuyer/scan. The first batch I bought from ebuyer refused to run at it's packet stated settings until I updated the BIOS. Then after running it at 1066mhz at 2.1v/CAS 5.5.5.15 one of the sticks generated errors in memtest86+ on both mine and my brothers PC. So I RMA'd that back to ebuyer who confirmed it was faulty and they sent me another batch where in this case one of the modules was basically kaputt and would crash memtest86+/generate 100's thousands of faults/refuse to post on both mine and my brothers PC. So thats been sent back now as well.

I suppose it's worth noting that my brothers PC is very stable, and his RAM works perfectly in my PC as well (it is the 1024mb version of this RAM).

Now I've received the same RAM from scan and this RAM is throwing up errors when set to packet stated settings in both mine and my brothers PC yet seems to be fine at it's BIOS auto settings of 800mhz/1.9v/5.5.5.18.

So I can confirm that the rest of my PC seems stable because of the testing done with my bro's PC. However, the RAM was being given 2.2v for the weekend over i37, this was because the BIOS was set to automatically set voltages. Perhaps the RAM was fried? But then surely it should still be faulty even when at 800mhz? None the less it still means a free RMA as I have scan installation insurance and will once again do the whole RMA malarky.
    Last edited by Kev32; 23-08-2009 at 10:53 AM.

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Can you select the RAM's the XMP/EPP from the BIOS menu or must you overclock the RAM to 1066 etc for it to work?
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Yippee Ki Yay!
    Thanks
    • Kev32's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Rampage Formula x48
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon HD4890
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred Two
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 20mb Virgin

I shall see if I can after the memtest I'm doing at the moment which is now finding NO ERRORS on the modules whilst at it's packet stated settings. I tested both modules seperately in both DIMM slots and memtest found 0 errors as well.

I'm going to hazard a guess that cooling is the problem here. Which is odd as I'm using an Antec 902 case which keeps my PC innards quite cool (mobo idles at 28 degrees, NB at 38). However the modules have no direct cooling on them apart from the top 240mm exhaust. Perhaps simply having my PC on for 3 days was just too much of a strain and overworked the RAM? Perhaps it'd be best to invest in one of the dominator RAM fans that corsair makes.

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Well 3 days stress testing is pretty hardcore if you ask me. Lets us know if you can select the XMP?EPP memory profile in the bios.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terbinator View Post
    Well 3 days stress testing is pretty hardcore if you ask me. Lets us know if you can select the XMP?EPP memory profile in the bios.
    No, you can't do this. XMP is DDR3 only, Rampage Formula is DDR2. EPP is Nvidia only. The Intel chipset will not use an EPP profile.

Yippee Ki Yay!
    Thanks
    • Kev32's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Rampage Formula x48
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon HD4890
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred Two
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 20mb Virgin

^ what he said!

Mind boggling really. RAM tests fine on my brother's PC as well. At least I know the RAM is fine and there is no need for an RMA. Perhaps there was some dirt or something on the contacts.

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
    No, you can't do this. XMP is DDR3 only, Rampage Formula is DDR2. EPP is Nvidia only. The Intel chipset will not use an EPP profile.
    My motherboard (see specs) lets me choose 'memory profile 1' which is the 1066 rating.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terbinator View Post
    My motherboard (see specs) lets me choose 'memory profile 1' which is the 1066 rating.
    Does it actually work and set all the proper timings?

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
    Does it actually work and set all the proper timings?
    Yep. Il post a screenshot later.

I know it says single-channel but i run 800Mhz in the other slots and cba putting the Dominator modules in either side for dual-channel memory.
    Last edited by Terbinator; 23-08-2009 at 06:46 PM.

Thread Information