Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loose CPU? Anyone have experience of a Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro?

Thanks

Re: Loose CPU? Anyone have experience of a Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro?

Gah think I'm just going to have to get the motherboard replaced. Hopefully I'll either get my money back or get the cost taken off a better one.

I tried the trick with the rubber and it didn't help. So the issue must be that the CPU itself is getting squashed somehow. And after I took the extra rubber off, I had trouble even getting it to start again at all. It only started once the heatsink was so loose that it was barely touching and then it overheated before it could even get in to windows. So for now I am just running it with the stock Intel Heatsink&Fan and even that wouldn't start at first, I had to pull on it so it eased the pressure on the chip and then it would boot in to windows.

Hopefully that is enough to justify a new motherboard.

Thanks

Re: Loose CPU? Anyone have experience of a Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro?

Well I've kept this updated so far I may as well keep going! I spent all weekend pushing and pulling and squeezing and twisting my CPU and Heatsink, it was a fun weekend, not. The problem persisted, I even tried running it with no heatsink, still failed. I have spent probably 100 hours googling this now and I found another idea which is that there were some gigabyte motherboards with faulty RAM slots, and it's slot 1.... which explains why I never noticed it when I was swapping out different ram chips. I now have the other 3 slots being used with ram and slot 1 is empty. So I am down to 6gig instead of my usual 8, but the system seems solid as a rock now.

Pretty happy to have finally narrowed down the problem. Totally not worth me spending this much time and effort on something I could have just replaced for £100 or so, but I've had a lot of expense recently so I was determined to at least get to the bottom of it. So now I just need to get the motherboard replaced or hopefully upgraded to something bigger and better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information