Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i5 haswell CPU dilemma

Registered+
    Thanks

i5 haswell CPU dilemma

So, I don't want to be spending stupid amounts of money on a CPU ala i5 4670k. I'm stuck between the 4440 £145 (released on the 1st of september) and something like the 4570 for around £155.

Could anyone give me some advice as to what processor to get. I've heard that the 4430 for example doesn't have the same features as other, higher end haswell i5s

EDIT: I will be using the system I'm going to build primarily for gaming with no overclocking

Thanks

Thanks
    • pastymuncher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 9600K @ 5Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Gskill Trident 3866mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 970 Evo Polaris+960GB Corsair MP510
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3D GTX1070 iChill Air Boss X3
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Straight Power 11 550w
      • Case:
      • Self built desk mod
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

Re: i5 haswell CPU dilemma

The non k versions have locked multipliers so no overclocking that way, just by how much you can raise the bclk. The 4670k is 3.4Ghz which can turbo to 3.8Ghz. The 4440 is 3.1Ghz and can turbo to 3.3Ghz so you will be losing 300mhz normal clocks, 500mhz boost clocks. Both have HD4600 graphics but the 4670k has 350/1200mhz while the 4440 has 350/1100mhz. Apart from that i think they both have the same feature sets. The 4670k is on today only for 179.99 by the way.

Thanks
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengaence LPX + 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Snadisk + 256GB Crucial SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

The i5 4570 is a better choice in my opinion. The i5 4670 that is not unlocked is about £170 which has a decent increase in performance over the i5 4570.

What graphics card are you getting? Could be better if you get a cheaper AMD CPU and spend more on your graphics card considering you don't need more than a FX 6300 CPU for most tasks now.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Noxvayl View Post
    The i5 4570 is a better choice in my opinion. The i5 4670 that is not unlocked is about £170 which has a decent increase in performance over the i5 4570.

What graphics card are you getting? Could be better if you get a cheaper AMD CPU and spend more on your graphics card considering you don't need more than a FX 6300 CPU for most tasks now.
    GTX 670.

I do understand that AMD processors are ok now, but my laptop has an ivy bridge i5 and I generally feel safer with intel. They have performed the best for me, whereas every single AMD CPU I've owned is pretty mediocre.

Thanks

AMD FX 6300 = best bang for your buck ; can get a nice fast SSD with the cost difference between that and the i5 , and I can bet you will see 0 difference in real world anything.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HalloweenJack View Post
    AMD FX 6300 = best bang for your buck ; can get a nice fast SSD with the cost difference between that and the i5 , and I can bet you will see 0 difference in real world anything.
    Really? the 6300 is a decent option for a gaming rig? Im looking at a budget build myself but am worried about longevity. That would certainly save me a few quid.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PK71 View Post
    Really? the 6300 is a decent option for a gaming rig? Im looking at a budget build myself but am worried about longevity. That would certainly save me a few quid.
    I'm not too sure after looking at this post a few days ago.. seems the i5s are a lot better. Search CPU gaming hierarchy on google and click the first link. It groups CPUs based on similar performance. The 6300 is 2 tiers below

8. Received thanks from:

PK71 (02-09-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeate View Post
    I'm not too sure after looking at this post a few days ago.. seems the i5s are a lot better. Search CPU gaming hierarchy on google and click the first link. It groups CPUs based on similar performance. The 6300 is 2 tiers below
    Thx man, I had come to that conclusion myself but tbf its not the first time I have heard ppl saying the fx6300 is the best bang for buck. Current build is coming in at close to £550/600 Id keep trying to find a way to get it sub £500 but seems undoable. CPU & mobo combo being the main culprit.
    Like you I am considering going for a non K version, in reality I am just not sure if the extra premium will be worth it to me. But I really do want to future proof as much as possible.

Thanks
    • pastymuncher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 9600K @ 5Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Gskill Trident 3866mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 970 Evo Polaris+960GB Corsair MP510
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3D GTX1070 iChill Air Boss X3
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Straight Power 11 550w
      • Case:
      • Self built desk mod
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

The 6300 is the best bang for buck simply because Intel has nothing that gives that performance at that price point. The 6300 is unlocked and will easily overclock to around 4.5Ghz with a decent cooler. To get a overclocking Intel cpu (4670k) you need to spend a extra £100 which is a hell of a lot of money.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pastyman View Post
    The 6300 is the best bang for buck simply because Intel has nothing that gives that performance at that price point. The 6300 is unlocked and will easily overclock to around 4.5Ghz with a decent cooler. To get a overclocking Intel cpu (4670k) you need to spend a extra £100 which is a hell of a lot of money.
    Ouch, kinda defeats the point then.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by PK71 View Post
    Really? the 6300 is a decent option for a gaming rig?
    Considering that two of my mates who play loads of games(they own over a 100 Steam games for example),have the FX6300 and FX6350 yes it is. One has a GTX660 and the other a 7870XT. The FX6300 seems a perfectly fine CPU and one of the best value for money ones ATM ,especially when it drops to around £80 for short periods.

The Core i5 4430 might be better in some older games,but then you are paying simply more for the CPU and moreover remember most reviews are at low resolution using £600 graphics card. In most games(not all) you hit a graphics card limitation at 1920X1080,especially with a cheaper card.

What parts do you need for your build and do you need a copy of an OS??

Edit!!

What types of games are you going to play BTW??

13. Received thanks from:

PK71 (04-09-2013)

Thanks

Is that hierarchy table over at Tom's really saying that you should upgrade from an FX-6300 (tier 3) to a Core i3 2300 (tier 1)? Talk about over generalising CPUs.

Corsair Air 540, Asus Prime X570-Pro, Win 10 Pro, AMD R9 3900X, Corsair HX 750, EVGA 1080 Ti, 2x Corsair 2TB MP600, 2x 2TB WD20EZRX, 4x8GB Corsair Dominator, custom watercooled (single loop, 2 rads)
    Corsair 550D, Asus X470-Prime Pro, Win 10 Pro, AMD R7 2700, Corsair RM750i, Asus GTX780 Poseidon, 2x Sammy 500GB 970 EVO, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance, custom watercooled (single loop, 2 rads)
    Synology DS918+ w/ 2xWDC Green 3TB + 2x Seagate Barracuda 6TB, N2200 w/ 2xSammy 1.5TB
    backup:
    Corsair 500R, Gigabyte GA-Z97MX Gaming 5, Win 10 Pro, i5 4690, Corsair HX750i, Sapphire Fury X, 256GB Sammy SM951 M.2 (System), WD SE16 640GB, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance, Corsair H100i

Thanks

Tom's hardware do a pretty good gaming cpu review, all cpu's are compared at stock settings (no overclocking taken into consideration..) and they constantly review the market etc..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Considering that two of my mates who play loads of games(they own over a 100 Steam games for example),have the FX6300 and FX6350 yes it is. One has a GTX660 and the other a 7870XT. The FX6300 seems a perfectly fine CPU and one of the best value for money ones ATM ,especially when it drops to around £80 for short periods.

The Core i5 4430 might be better in some older games,but then you are paying simply more for the CPU and moreover remember most reviews are at low resolution using £600 graphics card. In most games(not all) you hit a graphics card limitation at 1920X1080,especially with a cheaper card.

What parts do you need for your build and do you need a copy of an OS??

Edit!!

What types of games are you going to play BTW??
    I have herd a few ppl say as you have, about the FX6300. Hard to make a decision without seeing one run.

Games... FPS BF3/4 I guess and driving games mainly. As my current rig is very old now. As a result I will need new everything pretty much but no OS.

The question is will I really want/need to OC? I would rather buy right the first time so I have this in the back of my mind, and if I go non K would the savings be worth not having the option to OC down the line.

So last time I looked my build was somit like this, pre Haswell confusion.

Case - looking for a black box, £35ish
    PSU - 550w 80% £45 likely more expensive
    DVDR - £15
    HHD - not worried about an SSD atm. £40 to £55 size dependent
    Memeory - If I wait for a deal £45 at the very least
    GPU - Looking to spend around £160ish although some great cards at £180
    CPU - was considering i5k at about £155/£170 gen 3 or 4 undicided atm
    Mobo - nothing lower than £75? for a z77

In balance the intel seems the way to go for longevity.. That lot comes in at a min of £600, considering I have just spent £100 on a new monitor and will no doubt need a new gaming mouse too, I would love to here some options to get closer to knocking £100 off some how.
    TIA

Apologies to OP if Im hijacking your thread.

Thanks
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengaence LPX + 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Snadisk + 256GB Crucial SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

When it comes to fitting your build into a budget you have to compromise, everyone likes to have the best performance and would ideally just get the best components for their build but very few can afford to do that. When making the choice of what to compromise on in order to meet your budget requirements you need to think about what effect that will have on your general usability of the computer, the easiest way to do this is to prioritise tasks and spend more money on the things that will improve the tasks that are the most important. When gaming is the priority the best way to reduce the cost of a build is to find a cheaper CPU+Motherboard because skimping on your PSU is crazy and finding a few quid here and there with smaller components doesn't make much of a difference. When CAT, myself and others recommend the FX6300 for a gaming build we do so because the reduction in cost is far greater than the reduced performance, looking at Anandtech's bench comparing the i5 3570K and FX6300 you can see there is a lot of performance difference between them in some cases but in others there is almost none. Bare in mind that the i5 3570K costs twice as much as the FX6300, is double the price getting you double the performance? I would argue that you aren't even getting 50% extra performance, even less for gaming, so each extra pound spent on an i5 is getting half the performance increase that the money should be worth.

The other important factor to understand is longevity. On the horizon we have 2 new consoles coming out with 8 core AMD CPUs, this is going to have a large impact on new games going forward. Now that both consoles and computers will benefit from improving multi-threading in games it will be worth developers time to improve the code their engines use to produce those pictures we enjoy. This means that having a 6 core AMD chip could end up being better for you in the long run than having a 4 core Intel chip because the multi threading efficiency in games is going to improve. It also means that for gaming specifically you could end up spending a small amount on getting an 8 core AMD chip to slot into your motherboard and find you get significant performance improvement in newer games, something that is not possible if you go for Intel. Thinking that because Intel have better performance now means buying one of their chips will last longer is false, the reason Intel's CPUs are better now is because they are designed for the current computer landscape which still benefits from single threaded grunt. When that landscape changes the benefit of having single more powerful cores will go away rather than remain important.

The reason we choose the FX6300 is because it gives you more for your money than an Intel i5 would allowing you to either stay within a strict budget or make up for the reduced performance by getting a better GPU that would make the over all system performance in games far better. You pay a significant premium for the Intel performance now, something that is unlikely to be as big a benefit in the future when multi-threaded software becomes the norm, you can already see the small difference between the i5 3570K and FX6300 in benchmarks that are multi-threaded. If I had £500 or less to spend on a computer I would not look any further than a FX6300 because spending any more on the CPU+Motherboard means I'm compromising elsewhere, and when it comes to games it is silly to spend extra on a CPU and reduce your spend on a GPU.

Here are some reviews of the FX6300 to see what the performance gap actually is, work out the percentages and then compare them to the percentage difference in price. You will be surprised by how little value for money Intel i5 processors are:
    http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-...1117533/review
    http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...00-review.html
    http://www.techspot.com/review/586-amd-fx-8350-fx-6300/
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6396/t...-fx4300-tested

18. Received thanks from:

PK71 (04-09-2013)

Thanks

Thx Nox, I will consider what you have highlighted and check out the reviews. Many thx.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information