Thread: Corsair h110 cooler and msi x99s gaming 9 motherboard

Registered+
    Thanks

Corsair h110 cooler and msi x99s gaming 9 motherboard

Hi all, I have just finished building my first computer and I dont think I've ever been so scared! I was panicing about damaging one of the expensive bits! I managed to drop the processor on the socket, I was so shaky, had difficulty getting the motherboard in, thought I was going to snap it and tried putting the GPU in with the guard still on the connector..... It was a miracle it turned on, but it did and despite this I'm still nervous that I have done something wrong even though it is seemingly working fine.
    My current worry is the h110, I watched videos of people putting it over the processor and it seemed to just sit on and tighten up. I used the correct shorter screw for the 2011 board but they didn't reach the sockets unless I pushed down really hard and tightened whilst pushing. It Is tightened on there now and keeping the cpu cool but I am still worried that I missed something due to having to push down so hard. Is this normal?
    I'm probably going to ask lots of stupid questions as I've always loved computers but never had the nerve to build one due to worrying about the expense of messing it up
    I also have the h110 set as an exhaust with the fans above the radiator on top of the case, is this correct? I have 2 140 mm fans as intakes on the front of the case.

Thank you for any help, I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by ronind; 04-07-2015 at 10:35 PM.

Thanks

Re: Corsair h110 cooler and msi x99s gaming 9 motherboard

Yeah it's normal that you should have to apply pressure, it also helps spread out the thermal paste on the CPU.

It's also optimal that you have your h110 as an exhaust since you don't want to be blowing the warm air from the radiator into the system, it'll help keep your system temperature cooler. Your fan setup sounds good, it may be worth reading up on positive and negative case pressure if you'd like to further optimize airflow!

Thread Information