Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building new PC

Registered+
    Thanks

Question Building new PC

Hi everyone, as the title i want to build a new PC. I am new in this part as i mostly using my laptop. I build a DIY eGPU for my laptop using KFA2 GeForce GTX 660 EX OC 2GB powered by Cosair CX430M few years ago bu now my lap not as good as it used to be so i bought a new lap. Unfortunately, my eGPU not compatible with my new laptop so i though it a wasted of my GPU so i started to buy new component as i see deals that 'unresistable' and as result i got myself 16GB Kingston Hyper Beast and I5 4690K. Also my friend given me his Deepcool Neptwin V2 which can replace Intel cpu cooler. Here are also some of my question, would appreciate if you guys can give me details explain as i am kind of news in this:

1. I need a mobo for my build and i considering buying the Gigabyte UD5H BK from scan so my budget for mobo is around £120. I also considering Gaming 5 as my friend said that i should buy gaming mobo as i got the K version for the processor ( which i dont really understand why)
    2. Should i need a new PSU even thought i not really into OC but i maybe considering OC in the future ( it is too much for me to take in as it look pretty complicated and risky in OC, i will try when i have more knowledge about it)
    3. I also need a Case for my build and i dont know which should i go for and i dont want to spend too much in just a case so £50 should be my budget.

All advices are appreciated. Thanks

Here are list for my components:
    CPU: Intel I5-4960K
    CPU fan: Deepcool Neptwin V2 CPU Cooler 6 Heatpipes Twin-tower Heatsink Dual 120mm Fans
    RAM: HyperX Beast Desktop Memory Kit (2 x 8GB)
    PSU: Corsair Builder Series CXM 430W
    GPU: KFA2 GeForce GTX 660 EX OC 2GB

Mobo : Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK ATX Motherboard
    Case: not decided

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Building new PC

I just realise i put it in the wrong forum. Can anyone help me move it or delete it?

Thanks

I think the best overclocking mobo for a 4690K is the Asus Z97-A at that price point.

I can't post a link, but you can find it easily enough.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zzkenseizz View Post
    I also considering Gaming 5 as my friend said that i should buy gaming mobo as i got the K version for the processor ( which i dont really understand why)
    1. He was talking through his hat. There's isn't even any such thing as a 'gaming' motherboard, it's just branding. Unless you're interested in overclocking I'd cut your budget in half, there's not a lot of reason to spend more than £50-60 on a board unless you want a CPU that draws double it's original power or a thousand pound SLI/Crossfire setup.

2. Replace it when you want to overclock then, or if you decide on a smaller case you may need to replace it with a small form factor PSU.

3. What do you want from it in terms of size, looks, hardware support and so on? Personally I'm keenly awaiting the release of Silverstone's ML08 and RVZ02 cases because they appear to be a nice compromise between proportions, size and capability. The A4-SFX also looks interesting, although that isn't imminent.

5. Received thanks from:

zzkenseizz (18-09-2015)

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
    1. He was talking through his hat. There's isn't even any such thing as a 'gaming' motherboard, it's just branding. Unless you're interested in overclocking I'd cut your budget in half, there's not a lot of reason to spend more than £50-60 on a board unless you want a CPU that draws double it's original power or a thousand pound SLI/Crossfire setup.

2. Replace it when you want to overclock then, or if you decide on a smaller case you may need to replace it with a small form factor PSU.

3. What do you want from it in terms of size, looks, hardware support and so on? Personally I'm keenly awaiting the release of Silverstone's ML08 and RVZ02 cases because they appear to be a nice compromise between proportions, size and capability. The A4-SFX also looks interesting, although that isn't imminent.
    Should i get the Gigabyte UD5H Black or not? and as i said i may intent to oc in the future after i done carefull research about it and i also dont want my build to bottle neck in mobo.
    In terms of case factor, i dont really care about size or look of the case anyway so the performance is preferable. For example, if i go for all the part i list above which size or form of case i should for such ( mid tower or full tower?). Can you give me some as reference so i can have a look at it?

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ajcardiac View Post
    I think the best overclocking mobo for a 4690K is the Asus Z97-A at that price point.

I can't post a link, but you can find it easily enough.
    so it is better compare to the Gigayte UD5H black? can you point out how exactly it is better as i can see they got lots in common but the Gigabyte Black have to go through durable test and at pretty similar price

Registered+
    Thanks

If you are planning to potentially overclock in the future then any z97 or even a z87 there's not too much to tell them apart. I doubt you'll want to replace the mobo if you do decide to make the most of your k processor down the line. The Gigayte UD5H black is a z97 board therefore allows overclocking and potential to add a m2 drive sli ect. Case wise its personal preference but I would suggest looking at 2nd hand market as you can get a much more premium feeling case for your money.

9. Received thanks from:

zzkenseizz (18-09-2015)

Thanks
    • pastymuncher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 9600K @ 5Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Gskill Trident 3866mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 970 Evo Polaris+960GB Corsair MP510
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3D GTX1070 iChill Air Boss X3
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Straight Power 11 550w
      • Case:
      • Self built desk mod
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

Any Z87 or Z97 board will overclock a k series cpu. You also don't need to spend a fortune on the board as the cpu is the limiting factor with Haswell. A £100 board will overclock just as well as one twice the price unless you will be using extreme voltages and cooling such as phase or LN2. Personally I would go with the Z97 chipset as it's newer and has more features. Any of these will be enough for you:-

Asus Z97-K £93.56
    Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 3 £94.76
    Gigabyte Z97X-SLI £95.96
    Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5 £101.96
    Asus Z97-Pro Gamer With Free Cerberus PC Headset £106.76

I really see no need to spend any more than that on a board. If it was for me then I would probably get the Asus Z97 Pro Gamer as it has a decent spec plus the free headset.

While your psu has enough power at the moment it is poor quality and has cheap capacitors and can only deliver 384w on the all important 12v rail. If you decide to overclock and/or replace the graphics card it should really be replaced. If it was me I would replace it now before you put everything together. A quality 550w unit would see you good and will be enough for just about any single gpu system.

11. Received thanks from:

zzkenseizz (18-09-2015)

Thanks

Should i get the Gigabyte UD5H Black or not? and as i said i may intent to oc in the future after i done carefull research about it and i also dont want my build to bottle neck in mobo.
    You didn't sound keen, and given that it comes at a hefty premium I assumed you wouldn't want to. Something like this would be a good non-overclocking motherboard:

MSI B85M-G43 £55.02

In terms of case factor, i dont really care about size or look of the case anyway so the performance is preferable. For example, if i go for all the part i list above which size or form of case i should for such ( mid tower or full tower?). Can you give me some as reference so i can have a look at it?
    Performance? It's a box to put stuff in.

The Gigabyte Motherboard is ATX so if you went for that you'd need a case that took ATX motherboards. The MSI motherboard I linked is a Micro ATX motherboard, so that would work in any case that takes Micro ATX motherboards.

All ATX cases will take Micro ATX motherboards and you also get smaller Micro ATX specific cases.

Your CPU cooler is fairly tall (159mm) so if you decide on a smaller case you'll need to check that fits. ATX is the largest of the common form factors so generally anyone buying an ATX motherboard is after a large case.

13. Received thanks from:

zzkenseizz (18-09-2015)

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pastymuncher View Post
    Any Z87 or Z97 board will overclock a k series cpu. You also don't need to spend a fortune on the board as the cpu is the limiting factor with Haswell. A £100 board will overclock just as well as one twice the price unless you will be using extreme voltages and cooling such as phase or LN2. Personally I would go with the Z97 chipset as it's newer and has more features. Any of these will be enough for you:-

Asus Z97-K £93.56
    Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 3 £94.76
    Gigabyte Z97X-SLI £95.96
    Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5 £101.96
    Asus Z97-Pro Gamer With Free Cerberus PC Headset £106.76

I really see no need to spend any more than that on a board. If it was for me then I would probably get the Asus Z97 Pro Gamer as it has a decent spec plus the free headset.

While your psu has enough power at the moment it is poor quality and has cheap capacitors and can only deliver 384w on the all important 12v rail. If you decide to overclock and/or replace the graphics card it should really be replaced. If it was me I would replace it now before you put everything together. A quality 550w unit would see you good and will be enough for just about any single gpu system.
    After few check i still think the Gigabyte UD5H BK is some what better because as Gigabyte claim they have to put it through a durable test which make even better for the ultra durable series and it price at scan is £112.76 at scan so it is not much different in price. And do you have any recommend for a quality 550W PSU? I thought Corsair is a good brand?

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
    Performance? It's a box to put stuff in.

The Gigabyte Motherboard is ATX so if you went for that you'd need a case that took ATX motherboards. The MSI motherboard I linked is a Micro ATX motherboard, so that would work in any case that takes Micro ATX motherboards.

All ATX cases will take Micro ATX motherboards and you also get smaller Micro ATX specific cases.

Your CPU cooler is fairly tall (159mm) so if you decide on a smaller case you'll need to check that fits. ATX is the largest of the common form factors so generally anyone buying an ATX motherboard is after a large case.
    What i mean is the case that good in cooling, cable management , etc .. and also the size of case as i look they divided as min tower, full tower etc.. so i dont know what i should go for as both mid and full tower is for ATX motherboard.
    In case of motherboard, i think i will go for the UD5H black as i dont want to bottle neck myself in the future and mother board is also one of important part of the build and it can effect other expensive part.

Thanks
    • pastymuncher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 9600K @ 5Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Gskill Trident 3866mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 970 Evo Polaris+960GB Corsair MP510
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3D GTX1070 iChill Air Boss X3
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Straight Power 11 550w
      • Case:
      • Self built desk mod
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

After few check i still think the Gigabyte UD5H BK is some what better because as Gigabyte claim they have to put it through a durable test which make even better for the ultra durable series and it price at scan is £112.76 at scan so it is not much different in price. And do you have any recommend for a quality 550W PSU? I thought Corsair is a good brand?

I agree, that is a good price for that board so you may as well go for that. There's also the free upgrade offer that is still running (just don't forget to register as soon as you get the board). It allows you to upgrade to the next gen for free within 3 years.

Corsair psu's are overrated. They got established using Seasonic as a oem and then cheaped out on lesser oems once up and running. The CX series is a prime example and the original CX400 was a quality unit built by Seasonic. They then replaced it with the CX builder series which are built by CWT using cheap internals. The result was that the CX430 that was the direct replacement of the CX400 was actually a weaker unit that could only deliver a pathetic 336w on the 12v rail compared to the 360w of the CX400. They do have some decent units once you move up the range but they tend to be overpriced compared to their competitors. This is a excellent source of information on psu's including power across the rails, who makes the psu, plus links to reviews.

As you seem to be buying from Scan I will pick some psu's for you to consider from there. Some good 550w units to look at are:-

Non-modular (Hard wired cables)
    XFX Core Edition 550w £53.34 Seasonic built with 528w on the 12v rail and a 5 year warranty. Review here.

Fully modular All cables removeable
    EVGA Supernova GS 550w £59.99 High quality gold rated unit built by Seasonic with a 5 year warranty and 540w on the 12v rail. Review here.
    The 650w version is only a extra £8 if you wanted more power for future upgrades. Review here.
    EVGA Supernova G2 550w £70 It may seem expensive for a 550w unit but you can't get much better than this. It's built by Superflower, is gold rated, has a 7 year warranty and can deliver all of it's 550w on the 12v rail. Review here.
    For a extra £5 you can get the 650w version of the Supernova G2 which at £74.99 is the better buy of the pair. Still gold rated and built by Superflower with a 7 year warranty and a 649w 12v rail. Review here.

Cases are a personal preference but what I would say is to pick one with the best combination of looks/price/cooling. The Phanteks Enthoo range are excellent cases for the money and are well worth considering. At the end of the day it's you who will be the one that has to look at it so you should be the one to pick your case.

17. Received thanks from:

zzkenseizz (17-09-2015)

Thanks

What i mean is the case that good in cooling, cable management , etc ..
    Neither will have a practical impact. Temperatures are only going to vary by a few degrees and cables don't obstruct anything so the only reason to 'manage' them is if you're buying a windowed case or are a neat freak. Otherwise stuff them into the nearest empty drive bay.

and also the size of case as i look they divided as min tower, full tower etc.. so i dont know what i should go for as both mid and full tower is for ATX motherboard.
    There's no standard classification, it's down to what the case manufacturer or store wants to call it. Generally a full tower would be bigger than a mid-tower.

In case of motherboard, i think i will go for the UD5H black as i dont want to bottle neck myself in the future and mother board is also one of important part of the build and it can effect other expensive part.
    But spending as little as possible and putting the rest of the money in the bank is the most future proof path of all.

19. Received thanks from:

zzkenseizz (17-09-2015)

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Every manufacturer has something they put on certain models to bump the price up. Gigabyte Ultra Durable is just one of those things. I have owned UD boards and they are no better then non-UD boards....in fact some of the worst BIOSes I have had in the UEFI era have been Gigabyte FWIW. I would put money on something like http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asroc...net-security-f being no less stable and within a few MHz of an overclock speed (if there was a difference at all)....and it's half the price!
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

21. Received thanks from:

zzkenseizz (17-09-2015)

Registered+
    Thanks

I thinks i have quite good ideas what to get the remaining parts, thanks you guys a lot now its tim to take actions

Thanks

I thinks i have quite good ideas what to get the remaining parts, thanks you guys a lot now its tim to take actions
    I thought you were building this rig, not 'tim'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information